Intel i7-8086K
ASUS ROG Strix z370-e MB
G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16gb 3200 ram
NZXT Kraken X62 cooler
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD
Crucial MX500 2TB SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 power supply
NZXT 440H case

I have a Zotac 1080 from my old computer that I am using as a placeholder until the 1180 comes out.

I am having several issues. The first issue was installing Windows 10 onto my 970 EVO. The install would fail until I changed bios settings but it took me several hours to figure it out, seems to be working okay now.

The second issue are my CPU temps, they seem to be all over the place! They go from 30c to 60c and everything in between in a fraction of a second. I'm sure my cooler was installed correctly as I took my time and was very careful. My temps idle around 30c but when I started a 3DMark my temps went to 90c and I stopped the program. I think the case is not the best for airflow I am finding out even though it came highly recommended.

My third issue is my graphics card. When I ran 3DMark I got a warning that my GPU temp was over 81c and that has never happened in my old computer. I noticed my GPU fans were not automatically turning on so I took out the card and put it back in my old computer and it worked fine. I installed an old gtx970 I had in my new build and it seemed to work okay with the fans automatically turning on so I'm confused.

I have never run into so much trouble in a build before and do not know much about troubleshooting since my previous builds went smoothly for the most part. Any advice?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The second issue are my CPU temps, they seem to be all over the place! They go from 30c to 60c and everything in between in a fraction of a second.
That is... not unusual. In fact, it's to be expected.
I'm sure my cooler was installed correctly as I took my time and was very careful. My temps idle around 30c but when I started a 3DMark my temps went to 90c and I stopped the program.
90C on the CPU temps is a bit high. Is that an AIO cooler? Got the pump plugged in?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What is your room temperature like? 90 on the CPU is pretty high for water. That CPU won't throttle 'till 100, so you aren't damaging it, but that's still pretty high.

What program are you using to measure temps?

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
My pump is plugged in and I use Core Temp and the CAM software that came with my AIO cooler.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
That is... not unusual. In fact, it's to be expected.

90C on the CPU temps is a bit high. Is that an AIO cooler? Got the pump plugged in?

I'd disagree with that. A 30c jump "in a fraction of a second" is not to be expected.

I have a Zotac 1080 from my old computer that I am using as a placeholder until the 1180 comes out.

My third issue is my graphics card. When I ran 3DMark I got a warning that my GPU temp was over 81c and that has never happened in my old computer. I noticed my GPU fans were not automatically turning on so I took out the card and put it back in my old computer and it worked fine. I installed an old gtx970 I had in my new build and it seemed to work okay with the fans automatically turning on so I'm confused.

I'm assuming the warning you are referring to is the default CAM notification for GPU temp. Zotac's cooler isn't great, mine sits at 82c under full load. You can download MSI Afterburner or Zotac's own Firestorm to manually tweak the fan curves as they aren't aggressive enough out of the box as they tried to prioritize noise. Or you can change the alert threshold in CAM.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What original case fans are you still using? I will go ahead and say it, you may not have the water cooler mounted just right on the CPU. Have you tried to re-apply on the paste/heatsink? What speed are the water cooler fans spinning at?

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
Thanks for the replies, I'm using the fans that came with the NZXT 440H, three 120mm intake and one 140mm exhaust plus the two 140mm fans that came with my cooler. I have not tried to re-seat the cooler but I'll need to do it, just need some materials first to clean it and get some thermal paste.

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
Is your AIO pump plugged into the CPU FAN header on the motherboard, or into the CASE FAN header? What does the AIO recommend? Sounds like the CPU is overheating, which is causing the GPU to get warm too.

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
All cables are plugged in correctly, double checked them. I will switch the CPU fan header and see.

Could my motherboard be bad? How would I know?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
All cables are plugged in correctly, double checked them. I will switch the CPU fan header and see.

Could my motherboard be bad? How would I know?

It might need a BIOS update, but the odds of multiple fan headers being defective is very low.

Odds are it is your AIO if you have everything connected properly as outlined in your AIO manual.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
What speed are the rad fans running? Is the temp reported in the app in line with what you are seeing in Core Temp?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
What about the SATA connector, and the USB 2.0 cable?I

Have you tried plugging fan connector into the CPU OPT header, instead of the CPU FAN header?

CAM would be alerting if there was a pump issue and even if it wasn't working, that wouldn't explain an immediate spike in temps. Mounting issue gets my vote.

Reactions: FreshBross

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Is the 970 set with the GPT partition table? If it isn't unpredictable things will happen.

Medellon

Feb 13, 2000
I updated the bios to the latest build when I assembled my computer and I can't recall being given a choice of whether to use MBR or GPT, Windows 10 just did it's thing. Maybe my bios settings are incorrect, is there a way to copy and paste them here so I could show you?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I updated the bios to the latest build when I assembled my computer and I can't recall being given a choice of whether to use MBR or GPT, Windows 10 just did it's thing. Maybe my bios settings are incorrect, is there a way to copy and paste them here so I could show you?

Windows 10 decides on GPT or MBR depending on what your settings are set to in BIOS. I can't remember exactly what is says since I don't have my manual by me, but if set to "Windows 10" on the OS, it formats it as GPT when Windows 10 installs. If you set it to anything else, it formats it as MBR.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Windows 10 decides on GPT or MBR depending on what your settings are set to in BIOS. I can't remember exactly what is says since I don't have my manual by me, but if set to "Windows 10" on the OS, it formats it as GPT when Windows 10 installs. If you set it to anything else, it formats it as MBR.
I just went through that situation, it's a 50/50 how it will set the partition table. I recommend checking it at the first boot. Use disk manager to check.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010