having trouble installing XP Pro onto abit AT7 RAID 0 setup (EDIT: Now I can't get it to boot at all)

Jun 29, 2002
This is my first time setting up RAID. The AT7 MB comes with the HighPoint 374 RAID controller, and I used the built in utillity to setup the array. I insert the XP cd, reboot, and the setup screen appears. Now I've setup XP many times before on IDE and SCSI systems, but this is my first RAID attempt. It asks if I have any third party RAID controllers to install (I do), but pushing F6 (as it instructs) does nothing. It continues to load several drivers and files and finally says that it can't find a hard drive controller, and prompts me to insert a disk. I do, and select the appropriate driver. It continues to load more drivers and system files, and then I always get an error that usually says "the file ntfs.sys is corrupted". Sometimes it never even makes it that far, and I receive a "the file acpi.sys is corrupted" error message. I have tried using several different XP Pro cd's, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem. I have also tried swapping cd drives, but with the same results. I was just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience or any ideas on how to get around this problem.

Jun 29, 2002
So I tried installing XP Pro onto just one drive on the regular IDE channel, and I'm having the same errors. At least I know that the RAID controller is not to blame here. I guess all 3 of the XP Pro cd's I've tried could be bad, but it's extremely doubtful that all 3 would produce the same read errors. I'm at a loss here guys, could you please shed some light on the situation, I was really hoping to play some Morrowind this weekend.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Sounds like you have something pushed too far. What do you have your FSB set at? What kind of RAM? To make it easier to help, please list your system specs and FSB/RAM timings.

Jun 29, 2002
I haven't even attempted to overclock yet. I simply wanted to get my system running first.
Here's my specs:
-Athlon 1800XP (FSB @133)
-ABIT AT7 MB
-512 MB Samsung DDR 2700
-2 WD1200JB drives in RAID 0
-Toshiba DVD
-Lite-On 40X burner
-Abit Siluro GForce4 4400
-Enermax 350 Watt power supply
-ALPHA PAL8045T heat sink

Is it possible that one or both of my hard drives is bad? Both are brand new from Dell (thank you hot deals forum), but I'm running out of ideas as to why I would get this error.

There is something I'm not sure about. When I go into the advanced settings in BIOS, and enter the DRAM Clock/Drive Control, is says that my current FSB Frequency is 100mhz and my DRAM Frequency is 166mhz. I can't find a way to change the FSB frequency. Is this simply not allowed with this board?

GAZZA

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Try using another Cdrom device , I have had a few issues with some cdrom drives not reading the disk correctly .

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
There is something I'm not sure about. When I go into the advanced settings in BIOS, and enter the DRAM Clock/Drive Control, is says that my current FSB Frequency is 100mhz and my DRAM Frequency is 166mhz. I can't find a way to change the FSB frequency. Is this simply not allowed with this board?
Copied from the AT7 Review at HardOCP:

You'll notice that our timings in the chipset settings show a 166MHz memory bus, which is simply wrong. When you set-up the board and start tweaking, you'll want to set your memory timings and speed first. If you go in and set-up the CPU bus first and reboot with minimal RAM timings for testing, the BIOS will lock you out of the memory bus speed you'll most likely want if it's synchronous. First set your memory bus speed to "133". This will give you the 1:1 setting you'll want. If you set the CPU to 166 or over, reboot, and then go into the chipset, only "166" will be available. This sets the memory at 33MHz + the CPU bus, and could certainly cause you some problems if you want to move the CPU bus higher.

Jun 29, 2002
I cleared the cmos, and started over from scratch in the BIOS following the instructions from HardOCP, but now my system won't boot at all, not even the encouraging beep from the motherboard. I've tried reseating the RAM, IDE cables, and have even removed all PCI and AGP cards just so I can get that sweet sweet beep back, but to no avail.
Getting rather frustrated, violence is just around the corner.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
Just take a deep breath and relax..... :) Don't know why your board won't boot now...I set my AT7 up the same way with no problems. Have you cleared the CMOS yet? If not, just use the jumper to do that. The board should boot again. Then go into the BIOS, set the memory for 133 first, reboot, set the FSB to 133,
reboot, and setup the rest of the BIOS.

Jun 29, 2002
okay, now I've pretty much removed everything nonessential to power up. Now I every time it starts there is 1 long beep followed by 2 very short beeps. It sounds similar to a RAM error, but I've checked and double checked the RAM, and it is seated properly. I have 2 sticks of 256MB Samsung DDR2700. They are in DIMM slots 1 and 2. Is this the correct location, or is it supposed to be 1 and 3 for some reason? I just hope the RAM isn't bad.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
I have no trouble running 2 256MB sticks of Corsair XMS PC2700 in DIMM 1 and 2 in mine, but if you read the entire review at HardOCP, you will see that they had to use DIMM slots 1 and 3. Make sure that the RAM is seated well.

Jun 29, 2002
I tried clearing the cmos again and rebooting, but now I've lost any and all beeps from the motherboard.
I've tried seating the RAM in a 1/3 DIMM and 1/4 DIMM arrangement, but with the same results - nothing. Again I've checked and rechecked the seating of the RAM, and the only way they're going to be seated any better is if I get them a lazy boy with Corinthian leather upholstery :)

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
I did manage to corrupt the BIOS in my AT7 at first. I don't know if it was from multiple resets, a surge, etc... As a last ditch effort you could try what raised my board from the dead. Check out my post Here. Before you go to all of the trouble, try cutting power off from the board fully and remove the CMOS battery for 5-10 minutes, and put it back in. Then see if it boots. If not, make the floppy as I did. Hopefully it will work.

EDIT: BTW, only try booting the board with one stick of RAM in DIMM slot 1. If that does not work, substitute the other.
the only way they're going to be seated any better is if I get them a lazy boy with Corinthian leather upholstery :)
LOL!!! :D

Jun 29, 2002
I tried removing the battery and unplugging it for about 15 minutes. Still no go.
I made the boot disk to flash the bios, but I have know way to flash it if I can't get it to boot. It's a vicious cycle.

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
I made the boot disk to flash the bios, but I have know way to flash it if I can't get it to boot. It's a vicious cycle.
Mine did not boot either. As long as your floppy drive light comes on when you hit the power switch you may have a chance. I could not see a thing on my monitor when I did it until the floppy drive accessed, flashed the BIOS, and reset it's self.

EDIT: Just stick in the floppy disk that you made, hit the switch, and hopefully your floppy drive will access and flash the BIOS. It worked for me.

Jun 29, 2002
my floppy LED won't light up when powered on, so I guess it doens't access it. I tried it anyway and it didn't work. It was a good idea though. I'm just amazed at how this problem has digressed from a software problem to not even being able to boot the computer. I guess it can only get better from here (knock on wood).

Technonut

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2000
I must say that I am at a loss now... (I'm waiting for the anti-ABIT crowd to come in quoting high RMA stats ;) )

Anyway, If all else fails, and you do not want to hassle with an RMA, you could Priority Mail the board to me. (If you are in the U.S.) I can pull the BIOS savior with my spare BIOS to boot your board, (If that is the issue) install your BIOS chip into the BIOS savior, and flash it for you. Shipping would be the only out of pocket expense that you would have. It probably would be much faster than sending it back for an RMA where ever you purchased it. (unless locally) But then again, I am only guessing at this point that the BIOS is the issue. I would look at it for you, but offer no guarantee that I can get it to function if it is not a corrupted BIOS. I know most places charge around $25.00 for a replacement chip.

Just think about it. Maybe someone will reply with a solution soon. :)

Jun 29, 2002
Thanks a lot for your patience and advice. I'm going to take it into work tomorrow and see if any of the other guys have any luck with it. If I'm still at a loss, I'll definitely consider taking you up on your offer. Once again, thanks :)