Having trouble finding working drivers for an old HP laptop

Sitral

Jul 29, 2012
The laptop in question is an HP Pavillion dv6500

I recently did a fresh install of windows on it and now I can't set it to high resolutions or use wifi

Obviously I don't have the old disks that came with it. The HP website doesn't have any drivers for this model.

I'd happily down grade to something that I know can work. I've tried some drivers I've found on some random websites. I'm not too worried about getting any herpes cause this pc has nothing and wont for a while.

Should I just keep trying different versions of windows with whatever drivers I can find till it all falls into place?

Sitral

Jul 29, 2012
I got a reply from HP. They said the only drivers they have on file are for Vista, even though they are no where to be found on the website. So I'm gonna install that and take it from there. I will try the hp assistant when it's downgraded

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I got a reply from HP. They said the only drivers they have on file are for Vista, even though they are no where to be found on the website. So I'm gonna install that and take it from there. I will try the hp assistant when it's downgraded

If you can find out the model of wifi chipset and GPU, you can manually find them and install them instead of downgrading to Vista.

You can put in your exact model number in here, and it will tell you (just select product specifications in the pull-down menu):

https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...nment-notebook-pc-series/3369402/product-info

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Try this HP Link to get the Vista 32bit & 64bit drivers.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...ment-notebook-pc-series/3369402/model/3380543

What version of windows did you load? HP was/is bad about offering limited driver and BIOS versions for consumer PC models. I've been in your place a number of times. I would suggest reviewing each appropriate 32/64-bit driver carefully and only download and install the ones you think you need. HP was/is also bad about special driver packages for simple devices (wifi, video, etc.) They like to wrap their software around everything.

GL

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
The link by Lanyap above, has Vista 32 and Vista 64 Drivers on it. Not sure what OS you installed. You probably want the Nvidia Graphics Driver dated 2009 for that machine.