Having problems with my new comp:

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Hey guys. I just built my new comp: p4 3.0, abit IS7, 1 gig pc3200 corsair ram, radeon 9800 pro, etc.

I'm having trouble running anything which stresses the graphics card. For example, when I run 3dmark03 it locks up 3500-6500 frames into the test. The image remains onscreen, but it simply freezes the computer. The same thing happens in quake3. I play for 7 or 8 minutes and then it just freezes. Also, several times just doing things in windows the computer I guess just shut down on me. The screen went black and the monitor light went to yellow.

I think this is an overheating problem but my processor seems to be running around 57 degrees C. at startup, which I think is normal, and I don't know wahts up with the vid card. It's running really hot inside but isn't that also normal?

Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, here or by email.

Thanks,

-P

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
57c maybe too hot especially at idle
the 9800 will definately add to that
have you tried taking the side off the case and pointing a fan(box or big fan) at it to see if that helps?

are you using a thermal pad on the heatsink or as3?

what case?how many case fans?

my 2.8 never goes above 56c under load and that can at times cause me this kind of headache especially during this great summer weather

Welcome to the forums
mike

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
I'm using the standard heatsink that came with the p4 the only thing is I used pure silver gel instead of the stuff that came with it. I'll try the the fan thing I guess.

I'm using an Antec SX835II. It came with 3 main fan slots, 2 in back and one in front, but only 2 fans. So I put one in front that pulls in air and one in back that pulls out air. Also there's a power supply fan and stuff but thats not important.

Thanks for helping. This is a great site but I never made it to the forums. I suppose that's a good thing since I never had problems before. :)

-P

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
if the fan works then more fans may be needed

you may also try reapplying the pure silver gel again

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Yeah I've thought about reapplying the gel also. The thing is, I'm worried about the Radeon overheating or something and I have no way to check the temp on it. Do you know of any things that could make it overheat, maybe I messed something up while building?

Then again 3dmark and games put stress on the processor a lot too so that's where I should look first.

Sorry if you can't make out what I'm writing, haven't slept a lot lately. :)

-P

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
i have a radeon 9700 pro

it definatey heats up my case

right now i have the side off and am running a large fan vs the 5 fans inside the case,to keep it cool and to cut down on the noise.

try motherboard monitor here t monitor your temps

it wont tell you your video card temps but will giv an idea as to what temps your looking at

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Ok. So having a fan obviously has a huge effect. I will try the fan thing and monitor my temps. If the temps are low and I still have problems then odds are its not overheating that causes it.

I'll probably try it tomorrow tho...so tired...soooo tired... :)

Thanks a lot Mike

-P

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
np

also are you using the latest cat drivers try the 3.2 or 3.4 cats they seem to work the best

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Vid card drivers have been updated already. Memory seems to be ok when it does the self-test at startup...can't tell you more than that.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Ok that motherboard monitor thing is impossible for an idiot like me to set up...nearly killed my comp I think just now. Jesus. Scary lol.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
OK, that heat is WAY!!! to high.

So, you don't have any case fans at all? What kinda case to you have? Most of my systems have 7case fans, one has 5. Temps are under 40C CPU and Case temps at idle. Sometimes i'll hit a something like 45C while gaming for a few hours.

So get the Heat down! Add fans, i'm guessing your cabling is EVERYWHERE blocking air flow through the case if you do have case fans. Sometimes you forgt how important neat cabling can be, just look at any OEM rig.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
I'm running 2 case fans which is what came with it stock. As for the wiring I guess it could be neater. Still, how much of a difference would that make?

thraxes

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2000
Those 2 case fans "should" be enough. Of course you can run half a dozenb fans in your case but the noise would really irk me. Considering that enough people built shuttle SFF PCs with 3GHz P4 and Rad9800 and are running them fine, if a little hot, would suggest to me that the problem is not necessarily the cooling. But that idle temp is pretty high nonetheless, but if it where the CPU the machine would just slow down but not outright crash (one of the nice things of a P4 system). Check the graphics card HSF, try and get a digital thermometer and measure the temp of the card directly behind the GPU. I suspect that the problem is the AGP card and not the CPU.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Yup...I'm pretty sure you're right about that thraxes. My temp on the processor has gone down to 50 and I still have the same problem. This is probably not an overheating problem at all actually...god damn it I wish I could put my finger on it.