Having an annoying problem with my webpage

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I tried the Tech support forum, but there doesnt seem to be many webmaster there. So maybe you guys can help :)

I need some html help here. Many of my visitors are complaining that they are having problems viewing some of my pages through netscape. They don't get to see the whole page

like looking at
http://www.celebrityhub.com/women/anna_kournikova/
People viewing that page with Netscape only see a banner ad at the top, people using IE see it how it's supposed to.

I was wondering if someone a little more adept in the workings of Netscape could take a look at the source and tell me what the problem is? I'm not really good at debugging, and I would like to get this issue resolved asap, since my site is going to be featured in a few newsletters very soon. Thanks for any help.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Netscape is REALLY a bitch when it comes to demanding syntax in your code, and I noticed that you've got two excess </table> tags near the end....I'm not sure if it's the problem, but try to remove them

also remove all those <!-- comments, I know that too many of them can make Netscape complain

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thats what I'm asking :) but 27% of my viewers are using it still, so I can't ignore them. Before I was just planning to ride this problem out until Netscape went away, but it just keeps staying.

Prodigy^,
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll start working on it tomorrow.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
argh did a quick look at the code, and damnit it should be working!! Maybe I'll just plaster a big Best viewed with Internet Explorer, get it here. Netscape sucks

purplehayes

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2000
I think your problem is too any nested tables. Try to make the page one big table and I'm 99% positive that it will show up in Netscape.

PH
:)

Huma

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
What'd be nice is the Netscape Interface with IE ability to render html, dhtml, and css properly, and it's stability.

I can't stand IE's interface. the scroll is retarded and slow, and the stupid boxes around links eats a d1ck.

Netscape's mail and news reader is much quicker and easier to use as an integrated package than outlook express though.

20_MuleTeam_Borax

Oct 9, 1999
Those damn netscape bastards! Why would they force you to use proper syntax! Why should we have to properly close our tables, why?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Here is code that works:

http://www.buckeyeweb.com/braden/Celebrity_Hub.html

You're going to have to tweak that http://ad-adex3.flycast.com/server/rmclick/ garbage if you want it to work right:That looks like the culprit. Good luck fixing it.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Huma turn OFF &quot;Smooth scrolling&quot;, get used to the interface and get over the boxes around clicked links.....I used to think it was annoying, but IE's general superiority helped me quickly getting over something like that.

oh....hehe......mentioning the word &quot;quick&quot; and &quot;netscape&quot; in one sentence isn't right :) netscape is slow as I don't know what compared to IE, and the mail program is MUCH better, trust me. try it for a few weeks and you'll see.....

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
20_MuleTeam_Borax,
Actually the code for my pages used to be much cleaner. But as time went on and I had to do some dirty additions I dind't expect (all the pages are dynamic) the code got worse and worse. I'll prbably do a new writeup sometime this summer.

Ornery,
Thank! I just emailed my advertisering firm about this. Hopefully they can proved the answer.

jyrixx

May 31, 2000
netscape = crap. =) even though microsoft = crap, ie is better than netscape BY FAR!

20_MuleTeam_Borax

Oct 9, 1999
Joeyman:
I didn't look at the page, but I'm sure it's much cleaner than the garbage Frontpage creates. My dog writes cleaner HTML than Frontpage.

<edit>On a related Microsoft/my dog note, Internet Explorer will render anything from HTML to the gifts my dog leaves in the yard. The omission of the table tag is a prime example.</edit>

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
heheh I do agree Frontpage = ewwww in html, plus it'll really jack around with any existing html. I use dreamweaver and manual coding for my pages :

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
while I'm at it, does anyone know the command to send a visitor back to the prevoious page in there history via a link? Isn't it a like an applet script or somthing?

20_MuleTeam_Borax

Oct 9, 1999
Joeyman, I've never done exactly that, but I think you could write some javascript that would do that. I know you can redirect users w/ it, and I am pretty sure it can read the browser's history.