Haven't been able to sleep for 2 nights.. & counting

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Basically... my gf broke up with me a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to sleep since. I think it's just because there's so much crap going on inside my head now I can't fall asleep. Worst thing is, we both live in the same dorm and she's just down the hall. I liked her a lot and I still do actually.. and yeah over time, I can get over her but at the moment, it's frickin killing me... I've only been able to get short one hour naps in between classes and such... and with naps, I always wake up feeling worse..

So yeah.. this isn't a post whining about how my gf broke up with me. I don't need people posting and telling me to "get over it". This is just asking for suggestions on helping me get some damn sleep.. would sleeping pills be a good idea in this case?

*yeah I know if I was trying to sleep, I wouldn't be on the computer right now.. but I've been trying to fall asleep since 1am*

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
i have the same problem... when i take naps i conk out in minutes... but to go to sleep at night is a huge challenge.

there have been somenights where i cant fall asleep till the sun comes up outside, then an hour later the alarm goes off. :disgust:

oh, anyways... i think what i did to get over it was to become more self disciplined, go work out, have a bed time, limit time on the computer

p.s. i realize it is 3 am and i just wrote the above sentence

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
It's 5:15am here and i'm still up. I have the same problem like most of you's, so i'm not one to give advice.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Well, I've got my days and nights turned around right now. I can't sleep worth a damn anymore. My suggestion would be to get out and try to exercise some. It will help you take your mind off her, and when you are tired to the bone, you can't help but sleep. After a really good night's sleep, you'll wake up in the morning, and for an instant forget about her and the troubles. That instant will be perfect. Hold on to it.

Sleeping pills do work. I've used them in the past. However, the sleep won't be as good as natural sleep. If you must go the sleeping pill route, I suggest using Tylonol PM. It is essentially regular Tylonol with Benedryl. It isn't addictive per say, but you can become dependent on the pills to help you get to sleep if you aren't careful.

About your ex... I know how this knawing feeling feels. At least you have your self together and are going to classes. Don't shut down your life. My ex and I were off and on some one year, and after one of our breakups, I realized that I needed to keep working. No need to fail classes or tests on top of everything else. I'm sure you've talked about it with your friends, and have obsessed about it in your mind. Eventually you'll be able to let it go.

Best of luck to you, fellow insomniac.

Ryan

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
"Better living through chemistry!" Get some sleep, you'll feel better.
Benydryl is what the docs gave me in the hospital when I was restless.
Warm Milk works for some people, try hot chocolate....
Roll a fatty, have a bong hit, whatever ......

Goodnight...:cool:

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
"Better living through chemistry!" Get some sleep, you'll feel better.
Benydryl is what the docs gave me in the hospital when I was restless.
Warm Milk works for some people, try hot chocolate....
Roll a fatty, have a bong hit, whatever ......

Goodnight...:cool:

Hitting the bong is another great idea... I had some great sleeps going to bed stoned. I usually felt like crap in the morning though.

Ryan

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Hitting the bong is another great idea... I had some great sleeps going to bed stoned. I usually felt like crap in the morning though.

Some of my best sleeps were going to bed stoned. Nothing like laying in bed, closing your eyes, and just feel yourself fall...

HarryAngel

Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: LuDaCriS66
Basically... my gf broke up with me a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to sleep since. I think it's just because there's so much crap going on inside my head now I can't fall asleep. Worst thing is, we both live in the same dorm and she's just down the hall. I liked her a lot and I still do actually.. and yeah over time, I can get over her but at the moment, it's frickin killing me... I've only been able to get short one hour naps in between classes and such... and with naps, I always wake up feeling worse..

So yeah.. this isn't a post whining about how my gf broke up with me. I don't need people posting and telling me to "get over it". This is just asking for suggestions on helping me get some damn sleep.. would sleeping pills be a good idea in this case?

*yeah I know if I was trying to sleep, I wouldn't be on the computer right now.. but I've been trying to fall asleep since 1am*

same thing happenend to me , i gave the pain 10 days, after that i grew stronger came out like a winner met a new girl that i love, i wouldn't have met her if it wasen't for the breaking up of my former girlfriend that i also loved.

let me tell you what worked for me. Jogging shoes. Thats right, i invested in a couple of jogging shoes and literally i got back on track. after 3 months running i met my new sweet heart. :D

be strong man and invest in a couple of jogging shoes.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Also, watch fight club. If the insomnia continues, it will give you an idea of the kind of drugs you need to pick up.

Red and blue tubinals. Lipstick red secondals.

Ryan

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Same kinda thing happened to me, actually the situation is so similar its somewhat eerie....

Anyway, what worked for me was forcing myself to stay awake for roughly 48 hours, and during the last 3 hours before sleeping I ran for over an hour, had a good meal, took some nyquil and relaxed in bed for bit and before I knew it I had fallen asleep.

After that sleep I was able to keep a normal schedule again, hopefully you will have the same luck

Lovepig

Nov 27, 2000
take 2 PM excedrin. (3 if you get an off-brand or tylenol PM) wait 45 minutes. sleep 8-10 hours. wake-up drowsy for 2-4 additional hours till it all gets out of your system.

do not drive, consume alcohol, operate heavy machinery, or utilize live ammo in heavy assault weapons wile taking this medicine...

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
I always have so much on my mind that it's hard to sleep. 8, even 10, hours of sleep really doesn't do much for me, as it's very poor sleep and I just wake up tired. I wake up if someone so much as opens my door (not even noisy, just normal door rubbing on the carpet to open).

This worked rather well, though, when I drove for 22 hours pretty much non-stop from CA to NB and then was up socializing for another 10 hours :p

Not sure why I've said all this...I guess just to say I feel your pain :p

Edit: and sleeping pills seem to have little to no effect on me if I don't really try to go to sleep as well :/

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Give a few melatonin a chance an hour or so before you want to hit the hay. It helps suppress the "second wind" you get in the evening.

Also, if you can get into either a) a great book or b) a terribly boring book ;)

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
The only way to quickly get rid of that kind of pain is to have sex with some other girl. Otherwise, the fact that she's just down the hall will eat you alive (particularly if there's another guy involved). Good luck!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
i suggest:

exercise
taking a few shots of alcohol (5 shots sounds good)
smoking cannabis earlier in the day, you'll be beat by nighttime

sorry about your girlfriend man, best of luck.

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
My government teacher from a few years ago suggested reading the U.S. Constitution.

I haven't been desperate enough to try it, but let me know if it works.

LuDaCriS66

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Thanks for the replies guys.. I only got about 2 hour sleep in tonight but it was better than nothing. I think I'll try something like the tylenol tonight cuz I'm gonna need it.

The only way to quickly get rid of that kind of pain is to have sex with some other girl. Otherwise, the fact that she's just down the hall will eat you alive (particularly if there's another guy involved). Good luck!

lol nah, I honestly don't think I'd be able to do that. Yeah, she's just down the hall and I happen to know she lives across a guy that practically loves her.. dammit, there goes tonights sleep..

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
read any econ textbook, Econometrics or Game theory specifically, and you'll be drooling in your sleep in a few minutes.

Kenji4861

Banned
Jan 28, 2001
Go to the gym and push out all ur emotions..
When you come back, take a shower... before you know it.. you will be asleep.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
melatonin is my drug of choice. its helped me get thru those depressive moments with decent sleep. that one guy is right though....the brief moment when you wake up in the morning and nothing bad is on your mind is the best moment in the day when youre bothered like that.

i know your feeling..Ive gone thru it a few times.

good luck