have you thought about grad school?

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
After working just 3 months after graduating I've started thinking about grad school. My GPA sucked in undergrad so I don't know if I have a prayer of getting into a good graduate school. Anyone else thinking about going back?

Jan 9, 2002
I'm graduating in May (I hope) and am most likely going to do grad school. Only problem is that the business school I want to get my MBA at requires 3-5 years of work experience.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
I am a senior now and my parents keep bugging me to go take my GREs and apply to schools in case I don't get a job.

I am really not sure what to do about that.. I suppose I will find out about taking the tests for econ grad school and see what happens..

I personally don't really want to go on for a master's degree, but if the job market is as bad as it is for CS people now, I guess I might as well.

SerraYX

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2001
Originally posted by: axelfox
i'm in law school right now..and sometimes regret it :(

Why? Difficult?

I've always either planned on going into medical school or graduate school for chemistry if the former doesn't work out.

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
After I have two solid years of experience, I plan on going back to school for my third degree...a masters degree! Then I am going to suck it up and eventually do a PhD as well. I have great plans. I am a real sucker for school....:)

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
I'm two-thirds done with grad school right now, and it's cake compared to undergrad. Basically just put in your time, do a few presentations here and there, and you get all A's and a degree.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I'm not about to quit my full-time job anytime soon... so if I'm going to do grad school, it'll have to be after work a few days out of the week. I say fvck that. ;) If I couldn't find a full-time job after school, then maybe I could've went right into full-time grad school for a quickie.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm only 1 year out from undergrad and I'm still too pissed off to go back, but I will soon.

Drekce

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2000
I'm signed up to take my GRE on the 30th. I plan on starting grad school in January. I just graduated in August (Computer Engineering), but my company is paying for school so I figured I might as well start now. A masters degree is pretty much required for me to get anywhere high in my company. I plan on getting a masters in Intelligent Systems.

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
I'm planning on doing it, but I don't graduate from undergrad until December 21st and most grad school applications are due around January 15th so it will be pretty tight. I have pretty good GPA (~3.8) and I signed up to take the GRE in october so hopefully i will be able to get into my #1 choice (UCSD)

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
After working 4 years I went back and got my master's, worked another year, and then went back for the Ph.D. (which I am now completing). I would recommend NOT going unless you really WANT to and have a clear rationale and objectives. You'll need to articulate those for your statement of objectives (application documents) anyway, so it's a good time to sit down and think about the tradeoffs, both positive and negative, and what your short- and long-term goals are :)

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I probably won't go back for a while...at least 1 or 2 years. But I'll probably go back and get a Computer Engineering masters. I think hardware is more interesting (probably why I'm at AT).

How important is a graduate degree as far as advancement in the professional world?

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Shiva112
I probably won't go back for a while...at least 1 or 2 years. But I'll probably go back and get a Computer Engineering masters. I think hardware is more interesting (probably why I'm at AT).

How important is a graduate degree as far as advancement in the professional world?

In the long term it can really help increase your salary (but consider opportunity costs). The ideal situation is one where your company pays you to go to grad school or at least covers the costs. For example, a colleague of mine was been sponsored by her company to get her Ph.D. in CS at UCSD.