Have You Quit Smoking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gar3555

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I quit chewing 1 year and 2 weeks ago. :) Went cold turkey, just gave it up. It hasn't been hard at all.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
marvdmartian, I preyed as well and I don't practice my religion often.

I'm currently one month and one week (5 weeks) without smoking after about 4 years.

The first 2 weeks are hard, I won't kid you. The next two weeks are a lot easier but yet you'll still have that oral fixation and your brain saying to you that you have a lot of time to kill before bed.

Like Vic said, the more time you go without a cig the better it gets. They become a thing of the past. The more you want to quit, the faster you'll get over it. I compare it to breaking up with a girl friend. You'll get depressed, start doubting yourself, and find excuses.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I quit many many years ago after smoking almost a pack a day for about 5-6 years. I have no desire to ever smoke a cigarette again.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Trying to quit marijuana cold turkey after smoking an ounce this past month.
Today has been my first day. My anxiety was going through the roof in class today, and I couldn't sleep last night.
I find a good way to cope with it is exercise, massage, meal replacement drinks, and soothing conversations with the gf :)

Both exercise and massage will help release endorphins to help you relax and increase your appetite. Meal replacement drinks are quick easy drinks that will fill you up with all the nutrients you need in quick, easy to drink package that is easy to take down when your appetite is really poor.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
I met my to be wife and she smoked Camel 100's. I tried her ciggs and did'nt like 'em. I found Djarums (Clove type and very strong and expensive) and smoked them for 3+ mths.

After the 3 mths, it did'nt mix well with hangovers so I quit smokin' :laugh:

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
I woke up on october 1st 2004 and quit,with a box of patches and gum and after 2 weeks I realized I had stopped taking the gum and using patches and have not looked back since.

You have to want to quit or it will never work,period.

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
I smoked for 8 years. Quit on Jan 1, 2006. The first two weeks is the worst. After that, you'll smell a cigarette and it will disgust you, and that helps a lot to stay away from it from then on.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yep ... Started & stopped a few times from HS up until roughly 1990, then went cold-turkey from 1.5 packs a day & havn't touched em since.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i'm a summertime / golf course / drinking smoker. it's a very precarious perch though, as one weekend of excess can see you right back at the variety store buying pack after pack. i have managed to go without buying a pack since October, but had about five or six smokes on Saturday night with friends... i have to admit i was craving one at times on Sunday!

edit: smoking off/on since 1994

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: meltdown75
i'm a summertime / golf course / drinking smoker. it's a very precarious perch though, as one weekend of excess can see you right back at the variety store buying pack after pack. i have managed to go without buying a pack since October, but had about five or six smokes on Saturday night with friends... i have to admit i was craving one at times on Sunday!

This is my curse as well. I'll start drinking and then I want a cigarette. I get pissed off at that golf shot and I want a cigarette.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: meltdown75

This is my curse as well. I'll start drinking and then I want a cigarette. I get pissed off at that golf shot and I want a cigarette.
It's quite silly when you think about it. I mean, the whole cigarette thing... lighting up a stick filled with death and inhaling the smoke into your lungs... but on the other hand, it's a relaxing activity that has been enjoyed socially for ages... I have to admit it is still quite romanticized and 'cool' to me, which is ridiculous, given the number of times I have put out that "last" nasty butt. For me after a few months without, mix in a night of some beers and a cigarette is just the tastiest treat ever. Some people say that after a couple days, weeks, whatever without smokes, they taste nasty... not for me... ugh
< severely addictive personality
< high relapse risk

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Smoked for 4 years. Quit cold turkey.

It was one of the hardest things I ever did but I feel great now.

The first 2 months were aweful though! I wanted to kill everyone!

Good luck!

hg321

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
I smoked for 7 years, quit cold turkey 20 years ago and have not smoked one since.