Have you heard of this??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
Okay.. Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu, Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Full Metal Panic, Deathnote, Claymore, ...

What do you want?

And also, slap your brother for me. Bleach and Naruto?

Is Tengen Toppa Gurenn the Anti-Spiral thingy? I saw a few and I actually liked it. A tongue-in-cheek action that's seemed to pull me in with their highly entertaining action and in-your-face exaggeration.

If that's what it is, how many episodes are there? How many are they up to now? I may occupy my time with this afterall.

And Azumanga (sp) Daiyo.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: E equals MC2
Okay.. Suzumiya Haruhi No Yuutsu, Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Full Metal Panic, Deathnote, Claymore, ...

What do you want?

Is Tengen Toppa Gurenn the Anti-Spiral thingy? I saw a few and I actually liked it. A tongue-in-cheek action that's seemed to pull me in with their highly entertaining action and in-your-face exaggeration.

If that's what it is, how many episodes are there? How many are they up to now? I may occupy my time with this afterall.

And Azumanga (sp) Daiyo.

Yes it is. 27 Episodes. Some of the greatest animation sequences ever made.

E equals MC2

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
I don't get Azumanga Daioh. Why is it so popular? What is it about?

Comedy. One of those 'once you get it, you get the whole thing' thing.

Kind of like Dane Cook, you either find him freakin' hilarious or he's okay.

Oct 25, 2006

Its just an Anime about some High School girls going through their high school lives.

Whats so great about it is.

Great Humor. Easy to understand and yet still hilarious.
Very likable characters. Everyone is unique and great.
Great Ending
And just an enjoyable experience.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
Heh, I'm pretty much like the OP. I only like a few animes. I like Cowboy Bebop, EVA (except for the ending, WTF?), and Ghost in the Shell (my favorite by far). I used to have several hundred gigs of anime, I deleted it all except for those three series. I also have Serial Experiments Lain on DVD simply because it's so weird. And Noir also, decent stuff.

There are also a couple random movies I like: Memories, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and... i guess that's about it.

I used to watch crap like Love Hina (How I ever could bear it, I do not know), FMA, Naruto, chobits, excel saga (prett funny sometimes), last exile, outlaw star, and lots lots more. Most not worth remembering. Elfen Lied was OK if I was in the mood for something nice and violent. Puni Puni Poemi was damn hilarious. Trigun was alright as well.

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
Do NOT recommend Claymore, sorry tenshodo. It had an interesting premise, but then it just turned to crap. Had to force myself to watch the last few episodes just to finish it.

Not too big a fan of Death Note either, meh.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I like Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic (corny comedy) as well as the classic Love Hina. Samurai 7 was good too, as was Wolf's Rain.

needalife

Jul 28, 2007
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
I preferred RahXephon, though it's sacrelige to say so.

Anime studios are getting to be as bad as Hollywood with the endless remakes of Tenchi and all the TV and movie remakes of OVAs that were fine as-is.

Absolutely. I was a much bigger fan of RahXephon.

ditto!

touchmyichi

Golden Member
May 26, 2002
Originally posted by: timosyy
Do NOT recommend Claymore, sorry tenshodo. It had an interesting premise, but then it just turned to crap. Had to force myself to watch the last few episodes just to finish it.

I liked Claymore, just not too satisfying of an end. But as a whole, it was really interesting and well thought out.

Evangelion- Yeah, hopefully this won't bastardize the series too much. In all seriousness, the original Evangelion had the most literary merit of any anime I've seen (not saying much though I guess :p).

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Are you serious? Do you really think he is going to enjoy all the cryptic satire of Japanese culture, not to mention in-jokes they never left out of every episode? I once may have said the show isnt as overwhelming as PPD, but that is not to say a casual watcher is going to be comfortable with it :eek: Guren Lagaan is a terrific suggestion though, no argument there :)

Me neither. I thought it was good at the time when it was all the rage way back, and it gradually lost its uniqueness. Did you really think it was THAT funny? The show did have a few cultural/linguistic references that were clearly not gaijin-friendly, I assume you comprehend those fully :p Not to take anything away from J.C. Staff, but IMO maybe it is getting a bit too much credit for what it is now compared to newer shows that are no worse by any means (unfortunately, some would lock in themselves in a denial claiming nothing is ever going to touch it)

Animation/drawing quality is mediocre by today's standards, humor was rather dull to me - maybe except the Chiyo Chichi bit. Depending on what you particularly liked about the show, you may want to try shows with more upbeat humor (ie Kyou no Gou no Ni, Shinobuden, Gokujo Seitokai, Manabi Straight, Dokurochan, DGC Nyo!), iyashi-kei (the ARIA series, Hidamari Sketch), bizarre (Pugyru, Potemayo). The most similar overall I felt was Sensei no Ojikan. Despite all the mudslinging and undue "disappointment" by some ignoramuses on internet, Lucky Star did have some solid jokes that had me in stitches every week - not something I remember Azu for.

I recently created a thread asking for a high-quality anime. The anime fans of this forum gave me slew of suggestions while poking fun at me.

So I took the words and downloaded a few of what you all recommended:

What I got was-
*Some stupid ass anime that has scifi experiment girls with invisible arms that kills people. Absolutely horrid storyline and mindless gore.

*Another anime with some goth female protagonist. You know that girl who wears eye shadows at all time. The story seemed to be too invovled with itself, citing random greek mythologies and etc. It just didn't have the pull

Are you freakin' kidding me? None of the today's anime in the past 3-4 years have been anything ground breaking or genre setting as Cowboy Bebop or Eva.
It is inevitable to get a good mix of stuff you may or may not like, given such an ambiguous qualifier as "good" or "quality". Being specific about genre, setting or characters would prove helpful. I could argue Moetan is a very high quality show in my view, but I certainly would not recommend it to you knowing what you would be looking for. Elfen Lied is a poor choice though. Was the second show Melody of Oblivion? A hit or miss series, gets a bit worse at certain parts. Wanna see something even worse? Try the recently finished (and highly controversial) School Days. For good or bad, it will definitely give you some food for thought :D Not sure about what sort of "genre setting" Cowboy Bebop has done, care to list some of "wannabes" that tried to emulate it? I liked the drama and action in it, but it wasnt without faults and some cheesy episodes therein. I think it is just another case of a series being blown out of proportion by the western anime viewers.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

What's wrong with watching a little shounen anime? I watch Bleach, Naruto and One Piece every week as well as read the latest chapters among other anime. I find it relaxing and I've always enjoyed the music in most of these series.

Today in Class 5-2 > Azumanga Daioh.

Evangelion is as overrated as Akira.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: timosyy

Yeah, I admit the ending was crap. Watch to episdoe 24 or so, and just read the Manga. Those 24 episodes are basically the same as the Manga, so you won't miss out on anything

Originally posted by: Aikouka

What's wrong with watching a little shounen anime? I watch Bleach, Naruto and One Piece every week as well as read the latest chapters among other anime. I find it relaxing and I've always enjoyed the music in most of these series.

Today in Class 5-2 > Azumanga Daioh.

Evangelion is as overrated as Akira.

My problem is that too many people act like its the the greatest anime on earth. I enjoy the manga, but it sucks when you can firgure out every "plot twist" because the story is fairly predictable. The anime is just too filled with filler for me to care. Same goes to Naruto. That manga is just crappy now. No imagination whatsoever in the plot. And now its just becoming stupid with the things that Kishimoto is putting in. Its not making any sense anymore.
Most shounen animes just turn in to "Are we still in Namek" episodes. No end in sight.

As per 2 more recommendations

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/kai. Gerat Anime. The beginninng 6 or so episodes make zero sense. You'll know what I'm talking about. But it all gets explained in the end.

Seto no Hanayome is a great show. The premise is something a 5 year old could make up and basically sounds ripped off a disney movie, buts it is freaking hilarious and becomes a really unique anime.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
The more and more I watched of the original Eva, the less and less it made any sense or had any more than a random, unfulfilling plot building to an ending that was a total anti-climatic letdown.

No reason I wanna sit through that again.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My problem is that too many people act like its the the greatest anime on earth. I enjoy the manga, but it sucks when you can firgure out every "plot twist" because the story is fairly predictable. The anime is just too filled with filler for me to care. Same goes to Naruto. That manga is just crappy now. No imagination whatsoever in the plot. And now its just becoming stupid with the things that Kishimoto is putting in. Its not making any sense anymore.
Most shounen animes just turn in to "Are we still in Namek" episodes. No end in sight.

Well, the Naruto manga has been going on this Akatsuki main arc for a long time now... at least they've finally revealed most of the stuff about the group finally. Naruto still doesn't have enough Rock Lee though ;).

My favorite is still One Piece though. I've always enjoyed that show.

I actually have a harder time getting into new anime anymore. Most are just boring and dull. What we really need is Initial D 5th Stage ;).

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
The Akira manga was quite good. I liked the film for what it was, but the manga was much better. Worth reading if you like the general outline of the story.

Paprika was extremely disappointing. I really enjoyed Paranoia Agent though.

I don't know that I would want a change in shinji wherein he is shy instead of emo. That sounds like a pretty significant betrayal of his character.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Seto no Hanayome is a great show. The premise is something a 5 year old could make up and basically sounds ripped off a disney movie, buts it is freaking hilarious and becomes a really unique anime.

Thoroughly meh for me. Was looking alright for the first eps, then everything went south from there. I guess I am just not a big fan of Kishi Seiji - Magikano got old very quick and luckily it was rather fortunate that I had zero expectations for Angerune after hearing about his involvement in it. Never got past first episodes of ragnarok and izumo, no desire to continue any time soon. From what 15 episodes or so of it I have seen, the only saving grace was Momoi Haruko's voice acting (which makes it no better than CODE-E for me).

Time would be much better spent on rewatching Hayate no Gotoku! Two shows started at the same time frame (April) with the similar premise of a love comedy where the male protagonist is being forced to live with eccentric female lead and peoople around them. The difference is between them is quite striking, and general consensus and popularity of shows reflect this clearly. I rate Hayate right up there with other best productions of 2007 so far.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Aikouka

Well, the Naruto manga has been going on this Akatsuki main arc for a long time now... at least they've finally revealed most of the stuff about the group finally. Naruto still doesn't have enough Rock Lee though ;).

My favorite is still One Piece though. I've always enjoyed that show.

I actually have a harder time getting into new anime anymore. Most are just boring and dull. What we really need is Initial D 5th Stage ;).

Inital D is crap, I coul never get into One Piece, its also too long

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
O ill add this Bleach is going back to Filler after ep 147 just FYI, its prob gonna suck, no idea how long it will last but its happening, reason was so that the manga coudl get further ahead or something

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis
O ill add this Bleach is going back to Filler after ep 147 just FYI, its prob gonna suck, no idea how long it will last but its happening, reason was so that the manga coudl get further ahead or something

Bleach $ux b@11z

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

Bleach $ux b@11z

the manga is actually decent,

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
That's pretty cool. I hope they make it less god/religion oriented this time around, though. That was kind of annoying.

Also, the end was bad. But damn it was a good series...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Inital D is crap, I coul never get into One Piece, its also too long

How dare you hate on Initial D :|!

One Piece might be long, but it's most certainly worth reading/watching.

I don't doubt that... they're getting pretty close right now. They have to go into Hueco Mundo, find Nell and crew, fight the old espada, fight some current espada, play with some current espada, etc. So I mean, there's really not too much left for them to do until they catch up. I just want to see Nell... she quickly became my favorite character as I seem to be oddly amused by the lisp.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

Bleach $ux b@11z

the manga is actually decent,

The manga is great, IMO. It's almost a rule that the anime has to be worse than the written form by about x100. I'm just making that up, but it's how I feel.