Have you guys seen the thing about Netflix?

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Really not surprising. It is an anti piracy measure forced on them by Hollywood execs who know nothing about piracy.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
There's not paper large enough for me to write "SO WHAT?" on that accurately captures how little this means to anything or any one for any reason.

How much do skywriters cost?

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
For now I believe you can still sideload the old version. However the more annoying thing is the amount of non-rooted, but one hardware which is also being alienated against.

Sad android is looking more like iOS...

Reactions: dark zero

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I can understand them blocking "rooted" phones... but "unlocked"? Why does it matter what carrier the phone is using (GSM / LTE carriers)? I'm not aware of any "piracy advantages" that unlocked phones have, only that you can transfer them between cell carriers.

Edit: Some MVNOs (like mine) effectively REQUIRE unlocked phones.

Reactions: dark zero

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The amount of salt and tears the root community is generating could float an aircraft carrier.

Eh, give em a couple weeks and they'll find a work around.

Here's the thing, this isn't Netflix specifically blocking these... they're using Google's provided DRM per the story:
"With our latest 5.0 release, we now fully rely on the Widevine DRM provided by Google; therefore, many devices that are not Google-certified or have been altered will no longer work with our latest app, and those users will no longer see the Netflix app in the Play Store."

So this isn't a matter of Netflix blocking devices, it's them using Google's DRM they provide. Who knows how many other apps already use it, and how many in the future will also affect rooted users once they just on board Google's DRM. The plus side is, the rooting community only need to find a way to beat the DRM... which will then fix all apps that rely on it. Netflix is just the first (or biggest?) company to be using this DRM now.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The article says "rooted/unlocked" as if they're interchangeable words, but they mean different things...

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I can somewhat see why, rooted phones allow access to otherwise OS hidden/locked directories. You can now download netflix videos and in theory can have access to said file. Doesnt affect me and I really don't care but I can see how some may have issue with it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Sad android is looking more like iOS...

Geeze, people are getting so jaded. As Android has matured and built in more and more of the features that I used to have to root for, my reasons for rooting have basically disappeared. I know I don't speak for everyone, but to say android is looking more like iOS is just silly. Almost everything I used to have to root for is built into the S8 I just got. The only nice thing would be to delete all the built in apps I don't use, but I can deal with that. Disabling them works fine, and because of the SD slot I have plenty of space.

Reactions: Zaap and Dulanic

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Eh, give em a couple weeks and they'll find a work around.
They don't even need to find a workaround. You can already get the Netflix APK from apkmirror and it signs in just fine on a rooted or bootloader unlocked device. Just can't download it from the play store.

I just find it hilarious how root users everywhere are "I HATE NETFLIX CANCELLING IMMEDIATELY BLAH BLAH TEARS WHINE CRY!".

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ew, no.

gorcorps, just use the built-in disabler.

That doesn't let you disable everything.

Unless you know exactly how to use a package disabler and know the exact name of the package, package disablers aren't a good thing. If you just install it and click "disable recommended" you're going to end up with a lot of necessary system packages disabled for no good reason.
It's not exactly rocket science to use. Just find the app in the list and disable or delete it. It's also not permanent either, you can re-enable anything if you change your mind.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Package disablers aren't friendly for a reason. They display things as com.package.blah.whatever, usually without an icon, for a reason.

The built-in disabler allows you to disable everything that needs to be disabled.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Package disablers aren't friendly for a reason. They display things as com.package.blah.whatever, usually without an icon, for a reason.

It shows the "friendly name" as well as the installation one. So "Email" as well as "com.android.email.provider" it also has a handy button to launch a Google search to get more info. It also shows the icon next to the name.
The built-in disabler allows you to disable everything that needs to be disabled.

That's for the user to decide.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
That's for the user to decide.
Disagree. Users are stupid. Package disablers allow disabling of system processes that will break functionality. Just go read any thread about a package disabler and it's full of "I disabled everything and now my <blank> doesn't work, help!" Never would've had the issue in the first place if they hadn't used a package disabler.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Disagree. Users are stupid. Package disablers allow disabling of system processes that will break functionality. Just go read any thread about a package disabler and it's full of "I disabled everything and now my <blank> doesn't work, help!" Never would've had the issue in the first place if they hadn't used a package disabler.
Meh. Breaking stuff is a learning process. Like I said you can always re-enable stuff if it goes pear shaped and the worst case is that you'll have to reset your phone.

Reactions: ummduh

tommo123

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2005
Meh. Breaking stuff is a learning process. Like I said you can always re-enable stuff if it goes pear shaped and the worst case is that you'll have to reset your phone.

agree with you both. worked in tech support before and users are stupid but if someone wants to do something then i think they should be able to. just a warning that their action isn't recommended should appear. if they ignore it, it's on them. oddly, they never tend to do that twice

Reactions: Raduque

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Geeze, people are getting so jaded. As Android has matured and built in more and more of the features that I used to have to root for, my reasons for rooting have basically disappeared. I know I don't speak for everyone, but to say android is looking more like iOS is just silly.
I've been in this camp for a long time.

Last device I rooted was my Note 3 (my Note 2 and S3 before it.)

Pretty much haven't felt the need since to root a phone. I'm glad its possible for those that really have a need.

The one way I have thought Google was trying to get a bit too Apple-like was their attempts to lock out SD card write access, and the general push to get rid of them that even Samsung fell for. (S6/Note5 era)

Would have 86'd one of Android's greatest strenghts IMO had that goofiness continued unchallenged.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Not the carrier crap, which is what I use PDP for.
The only thing I couldn't disable on my devices was VZ protect, but it doesn't do anything unless you open it and give it permission - it's a remote diagnostics tool that CS uses to troubleshoot your device. Hell I was able to uninstall the Verizon apps completely on my new S8.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Back to the topic, I was happily using Netflix on my ROM'd and rooted Nexus 5 during all of this.

Magisk and Magisk Hide work wonders.

edcoolio

May 10, 2017
Back to the topic, I was happily using Netflix on my ROM'd and rooted Nexus 5 during all of this.

Magisk and Magisk Hide work wonders.

If you have the basic skill to root your device, sideloading an app .apk should be easy.

There are also plenty of apps out there for rooted phones hide the root status.

Magisk will definitely work for now.

In this long run, this will decrease:
A. Number of Netflix user watching on Android/
B. Number of users with root.
C. Number of users taking their devices back to stock.