Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Never said that. I'm vaccinated and so are all my kids. I don't have to be an anti vax nutter to have serious concerns over this one.
Your comments certainly sounded like you are one. I'm curious can you point to a vaccine that has negative long term effects that did not show very quickly after the actual vaccination was given?

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I'm really confused as to how an article describing the ability of aerosols to remain infectious under various indoor conditions somehow relates at all the vaccine or its efficacy.

The thought process there is pretty much "I hate pineapple on pizza therefore puppies need to die."

Like WTF?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I'll just leave this here https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit...ndoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study.html

Garbage science that we've set as policy is just another reason not to trust the vaccine until it's much more mature.

Virus is gonna do what a virus does, you can't stop it, get healthy, exercise, take your vitamins.
What? No vegan diet bullshit spewing from your ignorance?

Oh, and explain your stupid virus does what a virus does to smallpox, polio, Rubella, Mumps, Measles, or Rinderpest which have been eliminated through vaccines.

Why do I even bother responding to such fucking stupid people, other than perhaps they might remember this as they are being told they are going to be put on a ventilator.

Reactions: Pohemi

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I'm really confused as to how an article describing the ability of aerosols to remain infectious under various indoor conditions somehow relates at all the vaccine or its efficacy.

The thought process there is pretty much "I hate pineapple on pizza therefore puppies need to die."

Like WTF?

pretty much

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Got my second shot of Moderna yesterday, and like others, it's kicking my butt today.

Austin Public Health has their act together. I estimated the line to be 150-200 people long, but it almost didn't stop moving long enough to fill out my paperwork. In and out in less than 45 min, including the 15 min wait after.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
What? No vegan diet bullshit spewing from your ignorance?

Oh, and explain your stupid virus does what a virus does to smallpox, polio, Rubella, Mumps, Measles, or Rinderpest which have been eliminated through vaccines.

Why do I even bother responding to such fucking stupid people, other than perhaps they might remember this as they are being told they are going to be put on a ventilator.

This him:
1619380359306.png

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
I'll just leave this here https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit...ndoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study.html

Garbage science that we've set as policy is just another reason not to trust the vaccine until it's much more mature.

Virus is gonna do what a virus does, you can't stop it, get healthy, exercise, take your vitamins.

I guess I missed it in the article. What were the guidelines they came up with to replace current guidelines from the CDC for the average person to follow?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I got Moderna #2 on Saturday the 17th, and then stayed up late that night to get flipped around for a graveyard shift Sunday that thankfully never happened.
It kicked my ass Sunday. I had general lethargy and aches, and then a low grade fever set in and ran from 4 till midnight, and then broke.
Antibody building is hard work :)

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Never said that. I'm vaccinated and so are all my kids. I don't have to be an anti vax nutter to have serious concerns over this one.
COVID vaccinated, or flu, MMR? Exactly which vaccine have you and your kids received?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Absolutely no idea what that has to do with the question of vaccines, and it's easy to say "get healthy" but that's difficult if you are already chronically ill for reasons that have nothing at all to do with lifestyle or diet.

But that's an interesting study nevertheless. I don't know why more emphasis hasn't been placed on ventilation. I had to venture into my doctor's surgery recently, and while I was the only person in the waiting area, it seemed daft to me that they had all the windows closed. They know it doesn't spread so well out-doors so why not do what you can to make the indoors more like the outdoors?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Absolutely no idea what that has to do with the question of vaccines, and it's easy to say "get healthy" but that's difficult if you are already chronically ill for reasons that have nothing at all to do with lifestyle or diet.

But that's an interesting study nevertheless. I don't know why more emphasis hasn't been placed on ventilation. I had to venture into my doctor's surgery recently, and while I was the only person in the waiting area, it seemed daft to me that they had all the windows closed. They know it doesn't spread so well out-doors so why not do what you can to make the indoors more like the outdoors?

I agree, the virus details versus the vaccines details isn't even an issue in that article. The MIT study is still a good study. Science is flexible like that. 12 months ago we were scrambling for answers, and lockdowns DO reduce transmission rates. But, if there's information that says "this place can stay open" or "this place can't" based on other variables....I'm open to that. Of course, you'll need some upstanding local officials to actually review each establishment and assess it's operational sufficiency with the new variables, so....that leaves me less hopeful that just going by square footage and 6ft distance requirements.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I’m still feeling kinda washed out since my 2nd Moderna. Lol@wives. They can handle a lot of shit but then you have to hear about it for a long time. When hubs don’t feel good they’re like take a Tylenol and don’t be a wimp. I need you to do all this stuff for me. How many heating pads does your wife have?

My wife is actually fairly tough. I think she expects me to be as tough as her, but I like to be babied when I am sick. Problem is I am almost never sick! I tend to tell my wife to harden up when she is not feeling well lol, but if my girl dog exhibits any slight signs of not feeling well I am loving her up like her life is ending.

Like many here, I am very relieved to finally be vaccinated. Even just a few months ago it still looked so grim. I cannot fathom not wanting to be vaccinated!

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Our vaccination rate even with diminished supply has only dropped about 10% and we're still managing to vaccinate roughly 1% of the eligible pop. Per day. Currently only 37% in the county don't have a single dose. Our daily incidence rate has been cut in half in the last week alone. At this rate we'll qualify for yellow tier this week, so 2 until restrictions lifted further.

Expecting EUA amendment for pfizer to be extended to 12 yo any day now basically.

Hoping the local trends hold.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
After watching what is now happening over in India, it could become much worse over here as well. Variants or just one deadly variant would be all it takes to bring America to its knees once again. And should that variant target the youth instead of the elderly, that would be quite alarming. Parents don't like to watch their kids dying. People make up all kinds of reasoning not to take the vaccine. A few side effects, a few having bad reactions, a few deaths out of millions of vaccinated. It doesn't make any sense or follow any logic. One could invent all kinds of reasonings to not do this or to not do that, but just consider if this Covid thing morphed into a variant that treated all life on earth? That is, all human life on earth? Could that be what the future holds? It is hard to tell, but some of the clues are coming from India and Brazil and so many other places. You can't blame a variant on China, but you can blame a variant on ignorance.

Feb 4, 2009
I doubt it.
J&J are shipping only 3M doses this week, and possibly 20M doses at the end on the month, That's not anywhere near
what is needed to ease the shortage. But it will help. Now supposedly the Moderna and Pfizer will ship 140M doses the next 5 weeks.
But that is for just 70M people (2 doses/person)

Now we have injected about 75M people so far and that includes people with just one dose. 50M have one dose, 25M have 2 doses.
To get the 50M people with a single dose fully vaccinated, you will use up 50M of that 140M shipment(s). That leaves 90M doses for 45M people

That looks like 75M plus 45M for 120M with doses form the mRNA mfgs. Now add the approx 20-23M people injected with the
one dose J&J and we possibly could have 140-143M people vaccinated by mid-late April. That's still less that 1/2 the population. (43%)
We're still at a shortage. There still won't be enough to fill the need by the end of April.

I think that that we have a ways to go before anyone that wants one can get it. Probably June or July.

Looks like @esquared was mostly right.
Footnote about my estimate, yes everyone is eligible to be vaccinated and it is April.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Got AstraZeneca on Monday. Woke up yesterday with sore arm. Around 20 hour mark after shot, developed headache, fatigue, chills and muscle pain. Only extra symptom I had that others haven't mentioned was that my pulse jumped to 105. Pressure was below 120/80 though. But this morning feeling better. So hopefully it's passed.

Reactions: skyking

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
We ran large, well-controlled and well-powered experiments (aka, clinical trials) to prove the efficacy of the vaccines vs placebos, but apparently, that's not enough for some people, who think some mediocre science invalidates all the science.
Yes but we don't know long term impact of the vaccine if any. Which is the reason why i will be holding off getting this vaccination for a while. Normally that is not a problem as it takes long time for vaccine to come to the market.

• Haha

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yes but we don't know long term impact of the vaccine if any. Which is the reason why i will be holding off getting this vaccination for a while. Normally that is not a problem as it takes long time for vaccine to come to the market.
Okay, dummy. :rolleyes:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The vaccines being used have been in testing for nearly a year now, with exactly zero evidence for long term side effects. If your worry is that we need even more time can you point to a single vaccine that exists that has serious side effects that did not manifest within a year after injection? If not, why would these vaccines be special?

Relatedly, we have been studying people infected with COVID for more than a year as well and it appears the potential for long term side effects there is quite significant.

It would seem to be that if your concern is long term side effects that taking a vaccine proven to largely prevent COVID infection would be your best way to avoid them - no?