Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

Across the country, about 184.3 million doses have been administered. That translates to 56 doses per hundred people.

Do we believe this? the population of usa is 320 million but 184 million doses have been given out? do we divide that by 2 since it requires two shots? children are not even eliglble to get the vaccine around here and they will open it up to 16 and below but i know more people that are not vaccinated then are (*outside of work where we all had it provided if we wanted)

what am i missing, im sure im wrong but does it seem correct?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

Across the country, about 184.3 million doses have been administered. That translates to 56 doses per hundred people.

Do we believe this? the population of usa is 320 million but 184 million doses have been given out? do we divide that by 2 since it requires two shots? children are not even eliglble to get the vaccine around here and they will open it up to 16 and below but i know more people that are not vaccinated then are (*outside of work where we all had it provided if we wanted)

what am i missing, im sure im wrong but does it seem correct?
That's a crappy metric they use, doses per 100 people. I doesn't give a reality to how many have actually been immunized.
Yes, at the minimum you need to divide that two and that will give a slightly more accurate look.
56 per 100 would look like 28 per 100, fully immunized with two shots but that too is not accurate either.

Look at California's data.
22.5 million — or 77% — of the state’s 29 million doses have been administered. That’s about 57 doses for every hundred residents. Roughly 18.6% of residents are fully vaccinated.

So Calif has 40M people. 18.6% or 7,440,000 are fully immunized. That's 14.88M shots based on Pfizer/Moderna and their 2 shot series.
Subtract 14.88M from 22.5M administered so far and you get 7.62 M with one shot.
7.62M (one shot) + 7.44M (2 shots) = 15.06M Californians with at least one shot. Or about 38% of the population.

Reactions: killster1

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
But that 38% included all people and those under 16 aren't going to be immunized until later.
But looking just at adults, the Mercury News shows nearly 1/2 adults have had at least one shot.

"So far, 46.8 percent of adults in California have received at least one vaccine shot, and 25.5 percent have been fully vaccinated, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Among residents 65 and older, 81.5 percent have received at least one shot, and 57.4 percent are fully vaccinated.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
But that 38% included all people and those under 16 aren't going to be immunized until later.
But looking just at adults, the Mercury News shows nearly 1/2 adults have had at least one shot.

"So far, 46.8 percent of adults in California have received at least one vaccine shot, and 25.5 percent have been fully vaccinated, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Among residents 65 and older, 81.5 percent have received at least one shot, and 57.4 percent are fully vaccinated.
so do we believe this? or just assume its some kinda funky number to trick people to think they should be vaccinated too? im wondering, i know prego people dont get teh vaccine people who have recently got the virus dont get it right away. people refuse for many other reasons also (along with it not even being offered) i guess its possible but im in disbelief.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Just got my second dose of Moderna this AM. Feels great to have one less thing to worry about. Got my get out of jail card that comes with the shot, just have to wait out the two weeks to have the vaccine do its thing.
what sux is still have to worry about catching it and giving it to a loved one. of course if that loved one also has received the vaccine should be worry free. i wish i couldn't contract it after getting the vaccine but no i still can ;(

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
so do we believe this? or just assume its some kinda funky number to trick people to think they should be vaccinated too? im wondering, i know prego people dont get teh vaccine people who have recently got the virus dont get it right away. people refuse for many other reasons also (along with it not even being offered) i guess its possible but im in disbelief.
Yeah, that seems accurate based on the 38% of Californians with at least one shot.
46% would be for people 18 and over.
"Among residents 65 and older, 81.5 percent have received at least one shot, and 57.4 percent are fully vaccinated "
This is the group that was eligible first and you would expect high number like that. Now that they have opened it up to 18-64, that number with get bigger

I mean that's a good number so far but those 18-64 number will need to approach the seniors numbers (81% one shot 57% fully vaccinated)
before we can expect herd immunity.

Based on this graph from 2019

15% of people over 65 - 6M
63% of people 18-64 - 25M
23% of people under 18 - 9M

there's 31M from this graph with people over 18.
46% with at least one shot is 14.3M which is close to the 15M number above.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
According to CDC, 70,520,980 or 27.3% of the people age 18 and up have been fully vaccinated.

Those US percentage vaccinated numbers seem to track the same as California's data:
35.3 vs 38 - overall
45.1 vs 46 - over 18 years
78.1 vs 81- over 65.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
My wife, myself and both of our adult kids got our one and done two days ago. Had to wait fifteen minutes afterward but sure enough, the tail falls off. I asked if I was wifi capable now that I had Bill Gtes nanobots in me but the clinician wasn't sure. 😉

Since I'm surrounded by conservatives here on the beautiful south Oregon coast, a lot of these morons are not going to get the vaccine. I've been telling them that I think that's just fine, which confuses them. Until I explain that the best thing about the people refusing to get the vaccine is that the odds they will die from Covid is much higher, which will do a nice job of thinning the herd. It pisses them off when I point out that if conservatives want to play Covid roulette then please, be my guest because I am safe and since I am still wearing a mask, I will have a better chance of surviving their stupidity.

Seriously, if they want to risk death or killing their loved ones who also refuse to vaccinate then let the stupid mf'ers have at it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
what sux is still have to worry about catching it and giving it to a loved one. of course if that loved one also has received the vaccine should be worry free. i wish i couldn't contract it after getting the vaccine but no i still can ;(

I could'a had my shots done a few weeks earlier than I did (essential defense worker) but decided to wait until the wifey was eligible seeing as if we're the same age. And yes, we're still going to keep wearing masks in public until common sense together with gov't input says it's safe to go out without them.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
...and 36 hours later my wife, daughter, and grandson test positive for covid. Only one asymptomatic is the kid.

FML...
Were you the only one from your family that took the vaccine?
I realize 36 hours isn't going to really provide COVID-19 protection.

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
California has close to 50% of 16+ with at least one dose, more like 25% fully vaccinated. My county those numbers are something like 21% one dose and 32% fully vaxxed.

Currently most counties are dosing 1-1.5% of the population per day; at these rates we'll be 100% vaccinated in roughly 100 days.

I dont expect the rates to hold, were soon going to be at an administration bottleneck instead of a supply bottleneck as the willing recipients get theirs and others hold out.

Hoping the 12-15 crowd gets approval in the next couple weeks and the pediatric trials go faster than expected.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Minor update for those interested in some more anecdotal expieriences.

Received my first Pfizer shot yesterday at around 830am. About 7.5 hours later noticed a minor fever. (~99.5) - just felt a bit warm. Arm soreness progressed in to the evening.

Today i had some minor general body aches but nothing more than you'd feel from a light workout if you hadn't had one in a while. Arm soreness a lot better. A bit more tired than usual but mild.

YMMV!

Reactions: PingSpike

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Wife and I got the second dose of Pfizer on Friday evening. Saturday morning I woke up early, felt great, made breakfast, played with the kiddos, helped clean the house and started some small projects in the backyard. Then after lunch I put my youngest down to nap and fell asleep with her (that doesn’t happen). Woke up 2.5 hours later with body aches, throbbing headache and overall wooziness (could feel my pulse in my ears.) Rest of the day went to shit, but felt better after coffee on Sunday morning.

Fun fact—pharmacist who jabbed me said to hold on to the vaccine record cards—he expects we may be asked to take another booster in 6 months if COVID is still around.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Wife and I got the second dose of Pfizer on Friday evening. Saturday morning I woke up early, felt great, made breakfast, played with the kiddos, helped clean the house and started some small projects in the backyard. Then after lunch I put my youngest down to nap and fell asleep with her (that doesn’t happen). Woke up 2.5 hours later with body aches, throbbing headache and overall wooziness (could feel my pulse in my ears.) Rest of the day went to shit, but felt better after coffee on Sunday morning.

Fun fact—pharmacist who jabbed me said to hold on to the vaccine record cards—he expects we may be asked to take another booster in 6 months if COVID is still around.
A lot of people are laminating their vaccine card, Staples will do it for free.

We are not, as I suspect there additional lines on the card will be needed. Besides, we don't carry it on our person so it doesn't need protection, but stored securely at home. An image of the card is stored in a password-protected folder on our phones, along with other important wallet contents.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Had my first Moderna the 24th of March, the second scheduled for April 21st. The first gave me a sore shoulder for a couple days, nothing that affected daily activities. I am already thinking I'll be sick from work cough cough a day or two after the second, just because my employer allows up to 72 hours if you feel symptoms afterward.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well this guy nails it for me, no way I'm getting jabbed anytime soon

Holy shit I hope you don’t actually believe that. The guy who wrote that is either extremely stupid, extremely ignorant, or is a malicious liar.

I honestly hope the author is just dumb because otherwise he’s just absolute human garbage. To misrepresent the science like that is just evil.

Reactions: feralkid and MtnMan

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I received my vaccine on April 11th. Other than a sore arm, I am doing OK.

It was the AZ vaccine.

Reactions: jman19