Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Even apart from the rampant lying and cheating, there's been a lot of cock-eyed shit with the requirements themselves here. For example, my 30 year old daughter got her first dose in early January because she works for a healthcare organization...as an exec in their corporate offices, with no patient contact whatsoever. I'm happy for her, but that's kind of lame.
This happened a lot early on. Hospitals were the first ones to get doses, not just because they're frontline but also because they were the only places that could store the vaccines at ultra cold temps. At that point a lot were sitting on doses waiting for the states to get their shit together (with no federal help I might add) so they just started injecting all their employees whether they were front line workers or not.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yup, and just heard of another one from my wife which is even more absurd. Someone she met at work. She has a kid with autism, so both her and her husband got the vaccine because they are "caregivers" for someone. A child, therefore having little susceptibility to COVID, and whose disability is not a co-morbity for COVID. So both parents get vaccinated early. LOL
My wife got her vaccines under the same umbrella; my daughter is on the asd spectrum and as such we both qualify as healthcare providers. I might have had some reservations about her getting it (doubtful but possibly), but for the fact that my daughter is 1 year post treatment for leukemia. Her immune system should by fine by now but the drugs she took for chemo put her at a heightened risk for cardiomyopathy. Tjats not a risk I'm willing to take.

Her entire class goes back to in person in April and she's the only one still doing distance learning. Fuck all that noise.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Got REALLY lucky tonight, was at an area Publix, (their pharmacies are one of the official FL distributors) so I poked my head into it and asked "any extra shots lying around?". Turns out someone with an appt. was a no show and their phone was turned off she pharmacist said I have ONE extra dose, you want it?. I whipped out my ID faster than shit and after filling out paperwork had my 1st shot. I keep seeing on major news that supply will soon outstrip demand, not here in FL, I've been trying for weeks to get an appt., the only available spots are in rural areas, trumpers in Matt Gatez county are apparently avoiding the shots, fucking morons.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yup, and just heard of another one from my wife which is even more absurd. Someone she met at work. She has a kid with autism, so both her and her husband got the vaccine because they are "caregivers" for someone. A child, therefore having little susceptibility to COVID, and whose disability is not a co-morbity for COVID. So both parents get vaccinated early. LOL

Doesn't sound that egregious, tbh. One could argue that having autism means a child is likely to have much greater difficulty with following rules for mask-wearing and social-distancing, etc, and thus is a risk for passing the infection on to her parents. And the parents may have greater need to come into contact with others due to meeting the particular needs of the child.

A sibling-of-a-friend and a sibling of mine, both got the jab months before me, despite being younger and in better health. No idea why - they don't know either. But I don't care, I just want as many people getting it as quickly as possible. (I'm wondering if they benefited from the same error this guy did
https://www.timesnownews.com/the-bu...ine-after-error-lists-him-as-6-cm-tall/722392
)

I don't see its worth getting too bothered over the precise order of priority of issuing the vaccine, the main thing is to get it out into as many as possible as rapidly as possible, and too much fussing over ideas of perfect 'fairness' is likely to delay that and so be counter-productive. Perhaps especially when there is a significant and annoying minority who are going to resist getting it at all.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Doesn't sound that egregious, tbh. One could argue that having autism means a child is likely to have much greater difficulty with following rules for mask-wearing and social-distancing, etc, and thus is a risk for passing the infection on to her parents. And the parents may have greater need to come into contact with others due to meeting the particular needs of the child.

A sibling-of-a-friend and a sibling of mine, both got the jab months before me, despite being younger and in better health. No idea why - they don't know either. But I don't care, I just want as many people getting it as quickly as possible. (I'm wondering if they benefited from the same error this guy did
https://www.timesnownews.com/the-bu...ine-after-error-lists-him-as-6-cm-tall/722392
)

You're reaching here. This kid is either 3 or 4 years old if memory serves. I doubt he's going out anywhere.

I don't see its worth getting too bothered over the precise order of priority of issuing the vaccine, the main thing is to get it out into as many as possible as rapidly as possible, and too much fussing over ideas of perfect 'fairness' is likely to delay that and so be counter-productive. Perhaps especially when there is a significant and annoying minority who are going to resist getting it at all.

Young people have lied to jump the line. Others are getting in for bad reasons. Older more susceptible people have to wait longer because of it. No, it isn't great.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You're reaching here. This kid is either 3 or 4 years old if memory serves. I doubt he's going out anywhere.

Young people have lied to jump the line. Others are getting in for bad reasons. Older more susceptible people have to wait longer because of it. No, it isn't great.
This is why they should have prioritized by health care workers first and then just age. Any other system is open to rampant cheating and, more importantly, there is essentially no common risk condition that is more significant than just being old. Age is, generally speaking, easy to check and is much harder to fake than just claiming some nonsense condition.

All of these subgroups and whatever are a waste of time and effort.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
This is why they should have prioritized by health care workers first and then just age. Any other system is open to rampant cheating and, more importantly, there is essentially no common risk condition that is more significant than just being old. Age is, generally speaking, easy to check and is much harder to fake than just claiming some nonsense condition.

Yes, exactly, doing it that way would have been common sense. Instead, we have like 8 exceptions here, like being a "food service worker." People are signing up for Door Dash and not even doing it just so they can get the vaccine.

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
Well, had my first AstraZeneca shot almost 15h ago, zero side effects so far.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Yes, exactly, doing it that way would have been common sense. Instead, we have like 8 exceptions here, like being a "food service worker." People are signing up for Door Dash and not even doing it just so they can get the vaccine.
You're focusing on the wrong thing to be outrage about. I am annoyed with people who jumped the line, but I am more pissed at those who still refuse to get vaccinated. Anti-vaxxers pose a much bigger threat to everyone than those who, annoying as it may be, jumped the line.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Arm soreness went away after 2 days. On day 2, I felt more tired than usual in the afternoon and took a nap. Felt more energetic after the nap, so I will say the tiredness is probably from lack of sleep the previous night (arm soreness kept me up). I heard the side effects of the second dose are worse, so we'll see how that goes in 25 days when I am due for it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I would imagine the rules on things like autism and other 'special needs' are just blanket ones, without bothering to make such distinctions on age. Again, I really don't see the point in getting resentful over such trivia when the main issue is getting jabs in as many arms as possible as quickly as possible.

Again - I don't see the point in getting worked up about that. I was puzzled why those two younger people I know got it before I did, but really don't care that much (especially as I've since had the first jab, and my elderly parent has had both shots - on the whole the vaccine rollout is going OK here - unlike some countries).

I agree with kt, I'm much more bothered by those who are refusing to get it at all, or (as I see with the profoundly idiotic fly-posters I've started seeing round here) are trying to perpetrate stupid conspiracy theories about it.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I would imagine the rules on things like autism and other 'special needs' are just blanket ones, without bothering to make such distinctions on age. Again, I really don't see the point in getting resentful over such trivia when the main issue is getting jabs in as many arms as possible as quickly as possible.

Again - I don't see the point in getting worked up about that. I was puzzled why those two younger people I know got it before I did, but really don't care that much (especially as I've since had the first jab, and my elderly parent has had both shots - on the whole the vaccine rollout is going OK here - unlike some countries).

I agree with kt, I'm much more bothered by those who are refusing to get it at all, or (as I see with the profoundly idiotic fly-posters I've started seeing round here) are trying to perpetrate stupid conspiracy theories about it.
And statistically those who don't want a vaccine are 80% young republican fucking morons but just look at where they got their example from, their former shithead in charge who got vaccinated in secret.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I guess I agree with this, but not because of the risk of 'cheating' but because it overcomplicates things and slows everything down. Sticking to strict order of priority by multiple complicated categories also leads to situations where some distribution points have an excess of vaccines left over because there aren't enough people in those groups who are willing to be vaccinated. Just give it to everyone willing to come and get it, with some degree of prioritisation by age.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
We're on the edge of wide availability so a lot of this debate is kind of moot now. A lot of the distribution confusion and problems stemmed from the previous admin's refusal to actually manage anything because they were a bunch of lazy insolent fucks but insisted in incompetently meddling in public health policy.

Reactions: pmv and Fenixgoon

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Got my first shot this morning. Mississippi opened up the registration for all adults a few days ago.

I suspect there are plenty of shots because of the numerous morons in the state that think the vaccine is the mark of the beast. I've actually heard someone say the vaccine will take away our ability to have religious/spiritual thoughts. :laughing:

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

Why do people keep saying this? You post around here, so you should know how many times I've criticized anti-vaxxers. Yes, being anti-vax is much worse than lying to get ahead of people who are much older in the vaccination line. It's just that at the moment, I was discussing the latter, nor the former. Being concerned about the one does not exclude being concerned about the other.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Why do people keep saying this? You post around here, so you should know how many times I've criticized anti-vaxxers. Yes, being anti-vax is much worse than lying to get ahead of people who are much older in the vaccination line. It's just that at the moment, I was discussing the latter, nor the former. Being concerned about the one does not exclude being concerned about the other.
I don't think anyone is happy about people who lied/cheated the system to jump the vaccine line but the result of it has such insignificant impact on the overall distribution of the vaccine. I have not heard of any age 65+ people complain not receiving a shot who wanted one. So in this very moment when we want as many vaccines to go into as many arms as possible, the positive of those jumping the line far outweighs the negative.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I don't think anyone is happy about people who lied/cheated the system to jump the vaccine line but the result of it has such insignificant impact on the overall distribution of the vaccine. I have not heard of any age 65+ people complain not receiving a shot who wanted one. So in this very moment when we want as many vaccines to go into as many arms as possible, the positive of those jumping the line far outweighs the negative.

Since it's impossible to compile statistics about how many people lied, that's really a matter of opinion. I know about 12 people who have been vaccinated. Two of them lied. One got vaccinated at age 30 with zero rationale for it. Another pair in their 40's got vaccinated with zero rationale for it.

But five out of twelve is too small a sample to generalize from. What I do know is how ridiculously easy it is to get away with lying. And I know human nature. I suspect a significant number of older, more susceptible people have been delayed, but in the end no one can prove their position here.

What seems obvious is that this should have been 1) healthcare workers, then 2) strictly age, right from the beginning. They should never have carved out exceptions. Hopefully we learn from this and do it right if it happens again.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Since it's impossible to compile statistics about how many people lied, that's really a matter of opinion. I know about 12 people who have been vaccinated. Two of them lied. One got vaccinated at age 30 with zero rationale for it. Another pair in their 40's got vaccinated with zero rationale for it.

But five out of twelve is too small a sample to generalize from. What I do know is how ridiculously easy it is to get away with lying. And I know human nature. I suspect a significant number of older, more susceptible people have been delayed, but in the end no one can prove their position here.

What seems obvious is that this should have been 1) healthcare workers, then 2) strictly age, right from the beginning. They should never have carved out exceptions. Hopefully we learn from this and do it right if it happens again.
There’s no practical way to confirm this huge number of possible conditions, especially since genuinely needy people will often lack documentation.(All the more reason not to do it)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I got my first dose of Moderna today. Had a bit of arm soreness directly after, and I can still feel it a tiny bit. Apart from that, I feel fine for the moment. Albeit, I assume these mRNA vaccines take a bit of time to "kick in" given your body has to start producing the protein for it to then fight.

Got REALLY lucky tonight, was at an area Publix, (their pharmacies are one of the official FL distributors) so I poked my head into it and asked "any extra shots lying around?". Turns out someone with an appt. was a no show and their phone was turned off she pharmacist said I have ONE extra dose, you want it?. I whipped out my ID faster than shit and after filling out paperwork had my 1st shot. I keep seeing on major news that supply will soon outstrip demand, not here in FL, I've been trying for weeks to get an appt., the only available spots are in rural areas, trumpers in Matt Gatez county are apparently avoiding the shots, fucking morons.

Someone told me that here in northern Alabama, appointments are scheduled way out into June.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact that the more vaccinated people we have the better when our end goal is to achieve herd immunity. So yes, however selfish the act is to jump the line by lying/cheating it still contributes to society. The positive outweighs the negative.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact that the more vaccinated people we have the better when our end goal is to achieve herd immunity. So yes, however selfish the act is to jump the line by lying/cheating it still contributes to society. The positive outweighs the negative.

If lots of people in their 20's and 30's are getting vaccinated for false and/or bad reasons, then lots of people in their 50's and 60's are going to wait a month or more longer than they otherwise would have. Since fatality rates are much higher in that age bracket, the result will be deadly for some people.

I understand your point, but the point I just made I think is so obvious I shouldn't have even had to spell it out.

Reactions: soulcougher73

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If lots of people in their 20's and 30's are getting vaccinated for false and/or bad reasons, then lots of people in their 50's and 60's are going to wait a month or more longer than they otherwise would have. Since fatality rates are much higher in that age bracket, the result will be deadly for some people.

I understand your point, but the point I just made I think is so obvious I shouldn't have even had to spell it out.

The numbers involved - in terms of number of queue jumpers and the number of excess deaths that occur among older people who are pushed down the queue as a result - are likely to be extremely small though. Particularly as many of the vulnerable will be ultra-cautious about avoiding contact. It's more a problem for those (probably a minority) among the vulnerable groups who did previously have active lives and can't get back to them until they've been vaccinated. That's probably the real cost of queue-jumping - those people having to stay in lockdown purdah for longer. That's annoying but it seems a small issue in the context of the wider catastrophe.

I just think the 'queue-jumping' issue is of very minor importance, and there seemed to be a tone of resentment in your comment about the couple with an autistic child that struck me as a waste of energy. If anything I find stories like the one I saw of young people dressing up in disguise as 'old ladies' to try and get the vaccine more ludicrous than scandalous. And it really does have to be set against those who are refusing to get vaccinated at all - queue-jumpers are, by definition, at least not in that group.

Personally I just want non-COVID-related health services to start running again, because everything has been pretty-much shut down for over a year now and I just feel like I'm in limbo regarding my own non-COVID health issues (but can hardly complain when even cancer treatments are being suspended). Even once the pandemic peters out there's going to be a huge overhang of other health problems plus a collapsing economy to deal with. Yet it seems as if this is going to rage for quite a while yet, given how badly the vaccination program seems to be going in the EU, at least (the infection numbers in eastern Europe look really grim).