Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Not only do I have no suitable equipment, but I doubt I'd have the discipline to use it. I find I need a purpose to make me exercise - and every single thing I regularly walked/ran/cycled to/from has ceased for the duration, so there's not much incentive to even go outside, especially as it's so damn cold and miserable out.
I walk. It's the only moronically repetitive thing (exercise) I can stand doing so far. I'm looking for a sea kayak so I can go down to the Hood canal and work on my upper body that way. I went on a 64 mile canoe trip in the Boys Scouts so I'm quite comfortable in manually powered water craft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Not only do I have no suitable equipment, but I doubt I'd have the discipline to use it. I find I need a purpose to make me exercise - and every single thing I regularly walked/ran/cycled to/from has ceased for the duration, so there's not much incentive to even go outside, especially as it's so damn cold and miserable out.

Hence the joke about the fancy laundry-rack! ;)

I walk. It's the only moronically repetitive thing (exercise) I can stand doing so far. I'm looking for a sea kayak so I can go down to the Hood canal and work on my upper body that way. I went on a 64 mile canoe trip in the Boys Scouts so I'm quite comfortable in manually power water craft.

I also walk when it's decent outside... I'd love to get a kayak too believe it or not New Haven actually has some really nice places to paddle around.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I walk. It's the only moronically repetitive thing (exercise) I can stand doing so far. I'm looking for a sea kayak so I can go down to the Hood canal and work on my upper body that way. I went on a 64 mile canoe trip in the Boys Scouts so I'm quite comfortable in manually power water craft.

I still walk, but it requires a concious effort to do so when there's nowhere meaningful to go. And I usually only eventually manage to get going after dark. Last time found myself walking through some local woods in the middle of the night while coincidentally listening to a podcast giving an account of a murder that occured in those same woods (albeit 100 years ago).

• Wow

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Pretty sure I've put on weight since the pandemic began, due to the difficulty of getting out and about to exercise, and of buying fresh food regularly. My diet has really suffered - lots more frozen stuff and lots less fresh vegetables.
My neighbor's been doing my shopping and most all of it is fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm having a salad almost every day... rarely used to do that in the winter months because my home grown tomatoes come in late July to Oct. or Nov.

I lost some weight, gained it back. I'm at the same weight I was a year ago! Not obese, but I could stand to lose some weight. It's one of my priorities. Skating hard every day the weather permits (not today!).

I don't buy frozen food. I freeze cuts of meat, peeled ripe bananas for smoothies, do buy frozen org. blueberries from Costco. I freeze cheeses.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My knee started hurting last spring from my running up and down stairs 30 times in a row with heart rate monitor on (2x/day), so bought a bike trainer to which I mounted my road bike. Then I decided I wanted to be able to ride without taking my bike down the stairs (hassle), so I shopped and guys in the Health and Fitness forum turned me onto the Concept2 Model D Rowing machine. Had to get in line, but @Viper GTS helped me out and let me know when I could snag one online and I grabbed it. I'm going to row today 'cause of the rain. It's a really professional piece of gym equipment and reasonably priced and super well made. I prefer skating because it works my core, but rowing is better than any indoor bike affair I believe. Outdoor too, probably.

Staying in shape really helps my morale.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't buy frozen food. I freeze cuts of meat, peeled ripe bananas for smoothies, do buy frozen org. blueberries from Costco. I freeze cheeses.

I did try freezing bananas, but, um, being a bit dim, I didn't peel them first. Then found they are, of course, completely impossible to peel once frozen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I did try freezing bananas, but, um, being a bit dim, I didn't peel them first. Then found they are, of course, completely impossible to peel once frozen.
I have more than one plastic bag stuffed with peeled ripe bananas in the freezer. I'll take a couple of them, chop in 1" pieces, toss in a blender with a handful of frozen blueberries, pour in some kefir (that I make from dried kefir starter I buy online), or even just milk. Spin to a froth and enjoy with a super wide straw.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have more than one plastic bag stuffed with peeled ripe bananas in the freezer. I'll take a couple of them, chop in 1" pieces, toss in a blender with a handful of frozen blueberries, pour in some kefir (that I make from dried kefir starter I buy online), or even just milk. Spin to a froth and enjoy with a super wide straw.

I still enjoy those dipped in dark chocolate on a popsicle-stick! :D

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
My neighbor's been doing my shopping and most all of it is fresh fruits and vegetables. I'm having a salad almost every day... rarely used to do that in the winter months because my home grown tomatoes come in late July to Oct. or Nov.

I lost some weight, gained it back. I'm at the same weight I was a year ago! Not obese, but I could stand to lose some weight. It's one of my priorities. Skating hard every day the weather permits (not today!).

It's actually getting warm enough here to skate outside, I'm pretty excited as I barely got to use my new skates last year. I've been using my bike on a trainer in my garage throughout winter but that gets pretty boring, I need to throw my trail tire on my spare rim so I can hit the forest preserve by me when I can.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's actually getting warm enough here to skate outside, I'm pretty excited as I barely got to use my new skates last year. I've been using my bike on a trainer in my garage throughout winter but that gets pretty boring, I need to throw my trail tire on my spare rim so I can hit the forest preserve by me when I can.
I cleaned the bearings in my quad skate wheels today, lubed them, reinserted them in the cleaned wheels and rotated the wheels... I'm ready when the weather is, which is probably tomorrow!

I have my rowing machine where I had my bike trainer, in front of a 43" 4k TV and I've been watching nature videos or Ken Burns' music docs. I still prefer skating. It's more dangerous, but I'm getting more and more confident out there. I wear gloves and a helmet but I haven't fallen for over a year IIRC.

Reactions: VashHT

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Hence the joke about the fancy laundry-rack! ;)

I also walk when it's decent outside... I'd love to get a kayak too believe it or not New Haven actually has some really nice places to paddle around.
Lived in Groton for 6 years so I'm kind of familiar with the LI Sound environment. Someday I will return to see the OZ they built out in what was nothing but country before I left there. Both Mohican and Foxwoods.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No one should look at the risk of death from Covid as a single number. The risk goes up drastically the older you are. 80% of all deaths are people 65 years of age or older. The numbers really drop off below 50 years old. I assume you are in a bracket that isn't at risk? Do you wear a mask in public?
Everybody who hasn't developed an immune response (exposed or vaccinated) is at risk. If you're young, statistically less so, but at risk. Viral dose is an important factor. If you get a large, particularly I would think, a huge dose, you could succumb quickly. And the young don't seem to be particularly safe from long-covid. All this is not to mention the fact that if you contract covid, doesn't matter how old you are, you're likely to pass it on to almost 2 other people:

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Everybody who hasn't developed an immune response (exposed or vaccinated) is at risk. If you're young, statistically less so, but at risk. Viral dose is an important factor. If you get a large, particularly I would think, a huge dose, you could succumb quickly. And the young don't seem to be particularly safe from long-covid. All this is not to mention the fact that if you contract covid, doesn't matter how old you are, you're likely to pass it on to almost 2 other people:

This I am aware of thanks. I tried the link but it is asking me to register and I am unfamiliar with that organization. The data however is clear, the risk of death drops rapidly below 50 years of age.

I am not up to speed on the long-covid so need to do more reading on that topic so if you have anything to she it would be appreciated.

Thankfully the elderly person we live with is more than two weeks passed their second moderna dose and my wife and I just got our first. late next month we can finally emerge form the buddle we have locked ourselves in.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
This I am aware of thanks. I tried the link but it is asking me to register and I am unfamiliar with that organization. The data however is clear, the risk of death drops rapidly below 50 years of age.

I am not up to speed on the long-covid so need to do more reading on that topic so if you have anything to she it would be appreciated.

Thankfully the elderly person we live with is more than two weeks passed their second moderna dose and my wife and I just got our first. late next month we can finally emerge form the buddle we have locked ourselves in.
I think this is a good place to start:

Then you can Google" covid long haulers"

Reactions: zzyzxroad

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
If you haven't been eligible for the vaccines yet, Pres Biden is supposed to announce tonight that all states need to open eligibility to all adults by May 1.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I think this is a good place to start:

Then you can Google" covid long haulers"
Thanks! I am a numbers guy and the video seems mostly anecdotal. I tracked this recent Bloomberg article down on the subject. The number of people still experiencing symptoms after 12 weeks is alarming. Hopefully with more research and awareness we can do a better job of supporting people suffering from this.

It seems like the medical professionals have labeled this Acute Covid Syndrome for anyone looking for more info. .

Reactions: Muse

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Thanks! I am a numbers guy and the video seems mostly anecdotal. I tracked this recent Bloomberg article down on the subject. The number of people still experiencing symptoms after 12 weeks is alarming. Hopefully with more research and awareness we can do a better job of supporting people suffering from this.

It seems like the medical professionals have labeled this Acute Covid Syndrome for anyone looking for more info. .

Actually it has an official NIH name. I saw a couple weeks ago on TV with Dr Fauci calling it:
PASC - Post-Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Got my second moderns shot five hours ago. Still feeling fine. We will see how it goes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Got my second moderns shot five hours ago. Still feeling fine. We will see how it goes.
At 5 hours after my Moderna #2, I was starting to feel a little arm pain. That pain never got anywhere near as intense as after shot #1. Next day (after getting shot #1) I couldn't raise my arm over my head, couldn't sleep on my left side for a few days. Fever 20-30 hours post shot #2, then that went away. Really nothing to complain about. 9 days ago, I figure I'm pretty immune now but haven't changed my behaviors much... yet. I'm working on plans. First up, some B&M shopping I've put off.

Last edited:

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
At 5 hours after my Moderna #2, I was starting to feel a little arm pain. That pain never got anywhere near as intense as after shot #1. Next day (after getting shot #1) I couldn't raise my arm over my head, couldn't sleep on my left side for a few days. Fever 20-30 hours post shot #2, then that went away. Really nothing to complain about. 9 days ago, I figure I'm pretty immune now but haven't changed my behaviors much... yet. I'm working on plans. First up, some B&M shopping I've put off.
Similar here. Day after after my Moderna #1, it left like I was slugged rather hard in that arm. Was happy to have a somewhat painful reminder that my body was building a defense. That lasted about two days.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
It's been 3 1/2 hours since the injection.
No pain at all so far.
It took awhile since I was at the tail end of the appointments. They see how many people are left in the que and count how many vials (Pfizer) that they need to pull out, so there are no leftovers. That took an extra 15-20 minutes. Then when my turn came up, the nurse dropped the syringe meant for me on the ground. Had to wait until another one was delivered to my station, that took another 10 minutes or so. All in all it took an extra half hour in time over the first injection 3 weeks ago.
I am a happy camper though.

esquared

Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
It's been a little over 27 hours and my arm was a little sore when I woke up this morning. Not unlike a flu vaccine. I may have been a little tired as I took a nap in the afternoon. The soreness is now just about gone.
This was my second Pfizer shot.

Reactions: Muse and allisolm