Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StarTech

Dec 22, 1999
I am 75 with a health problem, In central Minnesota. Yesterday I got a call from the hospital referring me to a clinic to register for the vaccine. I called and they registered me and my wife because in cases like mine they tried to get also spouse if above 65, and said we might get called next week.

A bit later got a call saying a couple had rescheduled, and asking if we could get to the clinic right away.

We got Pfizer, which the nurse said they had to drive 100 miles away in the morning to get the allocation.

Well organized, little wait after check in at front desk. On the way out, they had set the employee break/meeting room with a nurse for 15 minute observation on the honor system.

So in no time we found ourselves vaccinated and scheduled for the second shot.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I am 75 with a health problem, In central Minnesota. Yesterday I got a call from the hospital referring me to a clinic to register for the vaccine. I called and they registered me and my wife because in cases like mine they tried to get also spouse if above 65, and said we might get called next week.

A bit later got a call saying a couple had rescheduled, and asking if we could get to the clinic right away.

We got Pfizer, which the nurse said they had to drive 100 miles away in the morning to get the allocation.

Well organized, little wait after check in at front desk. On the way out, they had set the employee break/meeting room with a nurse for 15 minute observation on the honor system.

So in no time we found ourselves vaccinated and scheduled for the second shot.
I'm in the same category that you are, 75 with some health issues. Wife is 3 years younger, so was unable to sign up when I did. It makes so much sense to have the "not quite old enough" spouse protected, to protect the household.

Fortunately she was able to get an appointment in a neighboring county a couple of weeks later, and has had her first dose.

I go tomorrow (Monday) for dose #2, she goes on Valentines day for her #2. Both of us got Pfizer.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
I am way down the line in order to get it. I will probably not be able till maybe April or March. With that being said, i am not sure i actually want it. I honestly haven't gotten an opinion on way or another on this vaccine, and at this point I will relax, sit back and watch everyone get it before me which will give me plenty of time to make my decision.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
My work sent me a document saying I'm an essential health care worker so I'm going to sign up to get it soon. My friend's wife got the second dose last week and had a pretty bad reaction to it (fever/chills/aches), but my mom got her second shot Saturday and is OK so seems like kind of a crapshoot.

Reactions: uclaLabrat

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My work sent me a document saying I'm an essential health care worker so I'm going to sign up to get it soon. My friend's wife got the second dose last week and had a pretty bad reaction to it (fever/chills/aches), but my mom got her second shot Saturday and is OK so seems like kind of a crapshoot.

Older people are less likely to experience intense side effects due to less aggressive immune systems.

Feb 4, 2009
My Parents just left Gillette Stadium vaccine site. We are having a major weather event and they were asked to come early if possible. Took them about one hour from check in time to leaving. Majority of the delay was in scheduling the second appointment. Long line to do it and they capped how many were in the line.
Some nice person there helped them schedule online appointment.
My parents rated the experience as an A+, they said it was well run and efficient and simple to understand. Easy parking and easy to know where you are supposed to go.
Moderna vaccine.

I am really glad I was able to get them an appointment for today, I am really grateful the snow held out this morning, I am really grateful they were able to get it done, I am really grateful someone helped them book the second appointment within the proper window to have it done.

@K1052 in your non medical opinion is the moderna vaccine good at preventing death from the new variants of COVID?

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Dose #2 (Pfizer) two hours ago. Remains to be seen if/how I react. I guess you really want a reaction as evidence your body is reacting and creating protection.

Drive thru clinic at local high school. Pretty well organized, lots of fire departments assisting with traffic, trailers with heat (it's 30 windy and flurries) and monitoring the 15 minute post shot parking area. From arriving at the end of the line till shot was 40 minutes, then 15 in time out lot and on my way. Firefighter checked on me twice during my 15 minute wait.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Hmm, the State of New Hampshire DHHS has seen the error of it's ways and is offering more dosing dates starting 8am tomorrow, and email was sent to all those who already received their first dose. I will be at my computer 7:45am on VAMS pressing F5 every 10 seconds so I can get my appointment as close to my 2/18 return date as possible.

Turns out my BIL (PhD Public Health specializing in data analytics) has been temporarily 'assigned' to the infectious disease group at the state. He normally works in the groups that track other health issues like infant/mother mortality. He described the situation in dire terms - they were understaffed by 30% ** at the start of the pandemic. They were using Excel and Access to manage the pathetically limited data they were collecting. He has moved them to enterprise level tools (with support from the IT department) and is implementing Dashboard UIs for realtime data visualization.

** The kicker, the ability of replace departed employees had statutory delays built into to keep costs down - idiots!!!!

Reactions: K1052

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
My Parents just left Gillette Stadium vaccine site. We are having a major weather event and they were asked to come early if possible. Took them about one hour from check in time to leaving. Majority of the delay was in scheduling the second appointment. Long line to do it and they capped how many were in the line.
Some nice person there helped them schedule online appointment.
My parents rated the experience as an A+, they said it was well run and efficient and simple to understand. Easy parking and easy to know where you are supposed to go.
Moderna vaccine.

I am really glad I was able to get them an appointment for today, I am really grateful the snow held out this morning, I am really grateful they were able to get it done, I am really grateful someone helped them book the second appointment within the proper window to have it done.

@K1052 in your non medical opinion is the moderna vaccine good at preventing death from the new variants of COVID?

Based on what I've read both mRNA vaccines should still be extremely effective at preventing hospitalizations and death for currently known variants.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Oh, BTW, my Pfizer BNT162b2 vaccine shot was a wrecking ball, 3 days of flu like symptoms (except fever and vomiting). Super fun (not!). Worst of it was fatigue, so I didn't even get the lumber for my two scratch built computer stands. 100% worth it though. At least I know my immune system is functioning!

Feb 4, 2009
Oh, BTW, my Pfizer BNT162b2 vaccine shot was a wrecking ball, 3 days of flu like symptoms (except fever and vomiting). Super fun (not!). Worst of it was fatigue, so I didn't even get the lumber for my two scratch built computer stands. 100% worth it though. At least I know my immune system is functioning!

Yeah as said earlier and I heard Fauci say it too. Basically strong side effects mean it’s working or working better.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I feel like I'm in a countdown. I just got my notice from Kaiser to eCheckIn. So, now I'm checked in for my first Moderna shot on Saturday. I hate that they have a disclaimer that says subject to supplies (paraphrased). Fingers still crossed.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah as said earlier and I heard Fauci say it too. Basically strong side effects mean it’s working or working better.
I'm 7+ hours from dose #2 (Pfizer) and I feel absolutly fine. Don't want to feel bad, or get hammered, but even feeling a bit off would provide some assurance it's working. The only thing is my arm is a tiny bit sore.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
How long after your dose did you notice symptoms?

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I'm 7+ hours from dose #2 (Pfizer) and I feel absolutly fine. Don't want to feel bad, or get hammered, but even feeling a bit off would provide some assurance it's working. The only thing is my arm is a tiny bit sore.
I don't think a strong reaction to the vaccine ( flu-like symptoms, fatigue) means its working better than a person who just gets arm pain at the injection site. A sore arm is a side effect that the vaccine is working.
I've had flu shots for 25 years, the shingles series, the pneumococcal series, and I've had the 3 shot Hep B series twice in my life (I worked in a lab) and I've never had any reaction to a vaccine beyond a sore arm and never any reason to think my immune system wasn't making antibodies.
I think its just our bodies reaction to foreign material. Some people just have an easier time with it, while others get get more serious side effects. You know some of these people. Some get a cold and they shake it in a couple days. Others get a cold and their bodies have to fight longer/harder to get rid of it. It lingers.
Just my 0.02

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I don't think a strong reaction to the vaccine ( flu-like symptoms, fatigue) means its working better than a person who just gets arm pain at the injection site. A sore arm is a side effect that the vaccine is working.
I've had flu shots for 25 years, the shingles series, the pneumococcal series, and I've had the 3 shot Hep B series twice in my life (I worked in a lab) and I've never had any reaction to a vaccine beyond a sore arm and never any reason to think my immune system wasn't making antibodies.
I think its just our bodies reaction to foreign material. Some people just have an easier time with it, while others get get more serious side effects. You know some of these people. Some get a cold and they shake it in a couple days. Others get a cold and their bodies have to fight longer/harder to get rid of it. It lingers.
Just my 0.02
Arm is slightly sore now at 10.5 hours, less than dose #1. I had dose 1 in my right because I sleep on my left. No choice this time as they stuck me via the drivers window. With COVID #1 all soreness gone in 36 hours.

I got my flu shot in Oct and my arm was sore for 3+ days, the worst I recall from flu shots, which I also get every year, plus both the pneumococcal and Hep B when I was a volunteer firefighter/first responder.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Those of you who have had side effects that are more than soreness at the injection site - do you get flu shots regularly and have side effects from that other than soreness? Just curious about anecdotal experiences.

I signed up for my first dose on Feb 11th. I'm not sure if it's Pfizer or Moderna though. I get flu shots annually and only have soreness at the injection site for a few days. It's not enough to hinder me from working out or anything though, it's just there for like 2-3 days then goes away. I'm hoping that is all I experience but I'll have to wait and see.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Those of you who have had side effects that are more than soreness at the injection site - do you get flu shots regularly and have side effects from that other than soreness? Just curious about anecdotal experiences.

I signed up for my first dose on Feb 11th. I'm not sure if it's Pfizer or Moderna though. I get flu shots annually and only have soreness at the injection site for a few days. It's not enough to hinder me from working out or anything though, it's just there for like 2-3 days then goes away. I'm hoping that is all I experience but I'll have to wait and see.
I get flu shots every year and can't recall ever experiencing anything more than a sore arm for a couple of days (wife's a teacher).

Reactions: purbeast0
Feb 4, 2009

per my parents today one day past first vaccination, sore arm and slightly sore body. Pretty much a normal flu vaccination.
My parents are both 80+

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The Moderna shot left my arm a bit more sore than a tetanus shot does. I've never had the issue with flu shots. The Moderna shot and tetanus shots use a bigger needle than the flu shots.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

Sore arm is it for both doses of COVID (Pfizer), no different from the flu shot. This years flu shot my arm was sore for 3+ days, while first COVID dose soreness gone in 36 hours. Still counting on dose #2, which is more sore than dose 1.

weblooker2021

Jan 18, 2021
Friend of mine got Moderna. Said her arm was very sore day after 1st shot, no symptoms at all after the 2nd dose.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I’m scheduled for tomorrow. My GP doc called, they had doses coming in today however many of the workers declined the vaccine. So with knowing that I was in for the vaccine I was offered. I jumped at the chance.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
per my parents today one day past first vaccination, sore arm and slightly sore body. Pretty much a normal flu vaccination.
My parents are both 80+
Wondering if younger people with a stronger immune system are more likely to have sever side effects? Many of my family members over 70 have not received the vaccine and none had more than a sore arm. My cousin who is in good shape and had a really bad side effects. Anecdotal I know but wondering if there has been any early studies on this.