Have You Gotten Your Covid Vaccine? Thread.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The only person I know who got one is my brother. He had his first dose the 18th and I believe he gets his second dose tomorrow.

He's a fire fighter in DC. It was not required for them to get it and he said it was about 50/50 split in his firehouse.

Wish I could get mine now.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I am 1b eligible in Texas but who knows when they will have enough that I can get one.

doesn’t much matter right now. I am currently battling Covid. On day 10 of my battle with Covid pneumonia. Starting to improve after getting treatment at the ER.

Damn, take care and if it starts to worsen go right back in. Take care of yourself!

Reactions: Muse and sportage

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
thankfully i didn’t have crushed glass opacity or blood clots.

I have essentially hit my max out of pocket with that 8 hour ER visit. I’m just thankful it only took me 30 minutes to get back into treatment. Also don’t have enough days so I’ll be docked my daily rate Thursday and Friday or this week. Dr thinks I should be able to be back to work on Monday. So yeah my total costs are going to be $6-7k but had I not gone in when I did I probably would have had to of been hospitalized.

Now that I am at max out of pocket, I’ll probably go ahead and get my gall bladder removed over summer.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave I don't know if this was extended under the latest bill though.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/pandemic/ffcra-employee-paid-leave I don't know if this was extended under the latest bill though.

It doesn’t appear to be extended. My wife is a middle school principal. Her district HR department told her she had to quarantine and take personal leave as the provisions expired on Dec 31.

Employers are no longer required to offer it but can at their option do so through March 2021. School districts in Texas are notorious cheapskates so I doubt my district will offer me paid leave.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It doesn’t appear to be extended. My wife is a middle school principal. Her district HR department told her she had to quarantine and take personal leave as the provisions expired on Dec 31.

Employers are no longer required to offer it but can at their option do so through March 2021. School districts in Texas are notorious cheapskates so I doubt my district will offer me paid leave.

Sorry to hear that. I've had a couple of people get the virus on my team and having that option helped me convince them to just rest and take care of themselves.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Nope, no idea when I'll get it. Florida is a free-for-all, every county seems to be doing things differently and few people seem to know when they will get it. In at least one county, seniors camped out in their cars overnight at the vaccination station. Some counties are first come first serve, which is ****ing stupid. Desantis is continuing his "they love me when government is as inefficient as possible" routine, and sadly he is right. My buddy and his wife are over 65 and signed up to get it within a couple days though, and my brother got his first Moderna dose since he is a health care worker in an ICU.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Keep after it, you'll find out!
Yea, we're fucked!

The county commissioners had a briefing this afternoon, which I only found out because one of my wife's contacts works in the news dept of the local TV station, from the county health department and the COO of the biggest hospital system here, which I was able to stream. What a cluster. First off there are currently 3 different paths for vaccine. These are all separate from each other, EXCEPT that the state uses doses all 3 have received to determine allocation for the next shipments.

#1 the nursing homes, etc. that signed up for a federal program. Administered by CVS or Walgreens, to administer. Their own supply chain and staffing for the vaccine.

#2 the hospital systems that receive vaccine for healthcare providers, either employees or contractors. They are also on their own supply chain.

#3 the rest of us, through the county health dept, with the state allocating supply. However the doses from #1 and #2 factor into the supply that #3 gets.

The county plans to start vaccinations for those over 75 on Jan 11, but until they know how many doses the will receive are not making appointments. Two locations are being readied, a Sears store at the mall that closed in 2019, and at the community college.

County census estimates there are 40,000 75+ olds in the county. They received 975 doses yesterday to start that phase, and expect 975 the next week. They hope to vaccinate 1000 a week, for 2 weeks. Then at the end of 2 weeks, the next phase kicks in which is 'essential workers' i.e. grocery store, etc., that are over 50, regardless of health, who will also be competing for what ever supply is available with the 38,000 remaining 75+ year olds. County population is 230,000.

COO of hospital system spoke. His hospital and all others in the area have 3 times the COVID patient count they had before Thanksgiving. Staffing is what keeps them up at night.

The hospital system has received enough vaccine for all patient care staff, almost 9000. They will first offer excess to other medical providers not associated with the hospital, such as dentists, etc. He expect 30% of staff will refuse the vaccine.

Then there was chatter about "if you have insurance" that your provider will likely be included in the distribution, at some point in time.

OBTW, the county does not "know" they will receive a vaccine next week, or how much. They are just planning for 975, nor if it will be Pfizer or Moderna.

They also put up a chart of what they have received, how much, and from whom. First 2 from Pfizer, last 3 from Moderna. So if you get the Pfizer, there is also the crap shoot as to when your 2nd is due, do they have Pfizer on hand or just Moderna? I'm assuming the if you get one, your second dose should be the same vaccine source.

The hospital guy also said the tracking is much more stringent, unlike the flu vaccines. Detailed info must be kept as to source, lot number, etc., plus contact information "in case" there happened to be a "problem" with that lot#, or if you have a problem.

kitkat22

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2005
We got lucky in our local family - my father in law and brother/sister in law are in health care and they each got theirs. I am anxious for when my wife can get one, but we are young and healthy so she will have to wait. Though in my opinion, she is also at high risk through me being constantly surrounded by COVID.

Reactions: cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Pitched this to a co worker yesterday, if you wanna make a quick buck in these times, start selling shirts/hats/? : Im vaccinated b*tch.

• Haha
Reactions: Muse

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The only person I know who got one is my brother. He had his first dose the 18th and I believe he gets his second dose tomorrow.

He's a fire fighter in DC. It was not required for them to get it and he said it was about 50/50 split in his firehouse.

Wish I could get mine now.
Grandson is a fulltime firefighter/EMT that also works part time shifts at other departments, plus they know most everyother firefighter in the county. Talking to him it's sounding like it is 50/50

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Wow, I never expected so many open and sincere replies. Thank you everyone. I feel the same as most of you, wanting the shot but none to be had. This really is incredibly unacceptable. All along Mike Pence, in charge of the fiasco as you know, was saying how wonderful the administration was doing and how great every thing was coming along, But now..... crickets. Nothing. No explanation and not even a hint of concern. Absolutely shocking.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Just got this notice:

Hello,
As we continue to distribute the COVID-19 vaccine to health care workers, we’d like to share an update regarding where we are in the process of vaccinating our communities:
  • According to federal, state and public health guidelines, health care workers with the highest risk of exposure were identified as the first tier to receive the vaccine. We started vaccinating UnityPoint Health team members in December 2020 and continue to make progress based on available number of vaccine doses.
  • The next tier will include additional essential workers and higher risk patients. Distribution will depend on the number of available vaccine doses and progress will vary by county due to a variety of factors. If you identify as a member of one of these groups, please know we’re working quickly to determine eligibility, timelines and processes. We appreciate your patience.
  • We expect COVID-19 vaccines to be widely available to the general public later in 2021. Eligibility, timelines and processes will depend on the number of available vaccine doses. As soon as we have more information to proceed, we will partner with public health to contact people who are eligible for the vaccine regarding next steps. (Please note that community members aren’t able to sign up for the vaccine in advance at this time.)
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
thankfully i didn’t have crushed glass opacity or blood clots.

I have essentially hit my max out of pocket with that 8 hour ER visit. I’m just thankful it only took me 30 minutes to get back into treatment. Also don’t have enough days so I’ll be docked my daily rate Thursday and Friday or this week. Dr thinks I should be able to be back to work on Monday. So yeah my total costs are going to be $6-7k but had I not gone in when I did I probably would have had to of been hospitalized.

Now that I am at max out of pocket, I’ll probably go ahead and get my gall bladder removed over summer.
OK, be careful. This virus has a nasty habit of getting bad real quick, as you probably know.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I'm considered an "essential worker" for critical infrastructure for the County, but not in the high risk category so I'm in Phase 2. My wife is a teacher and is in Phase 1b. She'll probably be able to get the vaccine sometime in the next month or so, and me probably not until April or even summer the way things are going right now.

Central Valley, CA.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I'm a healthcare worker but not involved in direct patient care (med equip engineer). Not being employed by a hospital and being under 60 that puts me at the bottom of tier 1 in Mass. State timeline says earliest I'll get 1st jab is mid-Feb...might not be till March though. Some of MR techs I work alongside have already had theirs but they also have 2nd jobs at hospitals.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Got the first dose of Moderna this morning. So far neither of us passed out, swole up, stopped breathing, grew another head, or had an arm drop off. We consider ourselves to be ahead of the game at this point. Got appointments for Feb 3 for 2nd dose. Will let you know how things progress.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Of course today I opened a news feed to find that the CDC has ranked my state (NC) FUCKING LAST in the distribution of COVID vaccines.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Got the first dose of Moderna this morning. So far neither of us passed out, swole up, stopped breathing, grew another head, or had an arm drop off. We consider ourselves to be ahead of the game at this point. Got appointments for Feb 3 for 2nd dose. Will let you know how things progress.
Yeah, but how big did your penis get?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Got my 95yo grandfather an appointment for today by relentlessly scanning Eventbrite. Just got his first dose of Moderna vaccine and the date for the 2nd. The search continues for my mother's.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I’m assuming I’ll get one through my employer (large Cambridge MA based university) so basically sitting tight until they offer it. I’ll probably be in the last wave.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Got my 95yo grandfather an appointment for today by relentlessly scanning Eventbrite. Just got his first dose of Moderna vaccine and the date for the 2nd. The search continues for my mother's.

I don't know where your mother lives in FL but Publix in some locations will be administering vaccines. Good luck!