Have you ever wondered why the Simpsons is such a popular show?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
The Simpsons has outlasted countless sitcoms and other comedies through out the years and it's still growing in popularity. What makes this show so sucessful? Is it the characters? Or is the fact that with cartoons you can do anything that the imagination can think of?

Personally I like the voice work on the show. Phil Hartman will be dearly missed on the Simpsons. I've always thought the mayor had a comical voice.

Its just so many elements in that show that make it so entertaining. I could go on for days talking about the humour in the Simpsons. The situations between Smithers and Burns are always hilarious. Krusty's life always provides laughter. What can I say other than The Simpons is a brilliant TV show.

TomFoolery

Banned
May 24, 2000
its all about the malability of the cartoon medium. despite being a normal family, they go on big adventures and do funny and exciting things. thats what captivates everyone, they associate with the simpsons.

warlord

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
they're great! oooo, that explains a lot huh? I love'em cause all the stupid acts that occur on a daily basis, but they turn into a comical act. :D

like the one where skinner and the craboble (whatever) are in love, and homer takes the megaphone when they are on the roof and asks bart if he knows where the remote is, :D:D cracks me up when its in his back pocket...

ha ha ha...well now, I think I've firmly established that I'm an idiot ;)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I love The Simpsons, it's a great show! One of the only show I enjoy watching lately, I don't watch much T.V.

-RSI

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
It is a television show with a very fluid plot. Anything can and does happen. Even if you watch the reruns. One episode can lie on the brink of family values (well, at least the old old ones) and the next can be ridden of drug references and such. The show truly reflects the change in society from the late '80s to today.

And yes, Phil Hartman was a master of voices...Damn that crazy wife of his

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
I watch the reruns over and over again but never gets bored of it... no matter how many times I have seen that episode, the jokes are still funny...

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
The show is hilarious. Almost every episode is really funny. We don't always watch the new shows on Sunday night, but during the week, my kid won't miss it. (They're on from 6-7pm M-F) No matter what he is doing, when he hear's the theme song, he'll stop and come watch it.

My wifes not a big fan, but I sure catch her laughing alot.

Homer, what can you say. He loves to go to a bar, watch sports, and eat. He's not a great father, but he loves his family.

Marge, Typical mother. Very loving, overprotective, stabilizing force.

Bart, typical bratty kid, not real bright, but not really a bad kid.

Lisa, The smart one, but still a Simpson.

Marge: "Homer, have you been drinking?"
Homer: "Nooooo... well 10 beers"

Great writing!

InTheClouds

Jul 6, 2000
I believe that I am one of the truely lucky ones because I can watch the Simpsons every weekday from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM. I have the DSS satelite system and can switch between all the timezones and channel affiliates. I can even switch between stations and choose what episode I would rather watch. I have always been a Simpsons fan since they first came on.

This is more than enough reason to get a satelite.

Feb 10, 2000
The Simpsons is the most literate satire ever broadcast on a weekly TV show. It is maybe not AS strong as it has been in the past, but I still feel lucky to be able to enjoy it week after week.

Dooling37

Jun 7, 2000
I'm a huge fan of the show myself, but I think the majority of the episodes the past 2-3 years have been pathetic. I enjoy watching the 2 repeat episodes/day much more than the occassional new ones on Sunday night (even though they do seem to repeat the same ~15 episodes over and over).

I almost hope they'll end it soon, just so it can still be remembered as a great show.

KarsinTheHutt

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2000
The Simpsons makes fun of everything and anything

Cults
Mel Gibson
Bond Movies
Religion
Etc

The exageration of these facets of our culture and the absurdity of the stereotyped charcaters just makes (almost) everyone laugh.

Personally I my favorite character is Hank Scorpio, Super Villain, even though he was in only one epsode.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
One thing to think of in the animated television world, they haven't made a movie yet. Isn't that the predecessor to the decline in popularity of this type of show?

Also, I think the show is getting better with age.

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
it seems to me that the simposon's still retain that special touch, while newer cartoons just don't have it. such as family guy. some parts are funny, but only 'over-the-top' funny, it doesn't have the 'gut' funny that's found in the simpsons.

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
The Simpsons is a popular show because it can be enjoyed on so many levels. If you're a little kid, you can laugh at all the slapstick. If you're slightly older, you'll get all the references and twists of pop culture. And if you're an adult, you'll laugh at the allusions to Shakespere and works of literature, art, theatre, etc.

Or at least it used to be that way. They've "dumbed" down the show quite a bit over the last 3 seasons. Now its about as intelligent and entertaining as "Friends".

SuperGroove

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Dooling37,

<<I'm a huge fan of the show myself, but I think the majority of the episodes the past 2-3 years have been pathetic. I enjoy watching the 2 repeat episodes/day much more than the occassional new ones on Sunday night (even though they do seem to repeat the same ~15 episodes over and over).

I almost hope they'll end it soon, just so it can still be remembered as a great show.>>

You remind me of the comic bookstore owner:D.

Comic Book Guy- &quot;Worst Episode Ever.&quot;

Homer?-&quot;They don't owe you anything&quot;

Comic Book Guy- &quot;Worst Episode Ever.&quot;

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I love the show and I think every episode is great, but I also think that the recent episodes aren't as good as the old ones (with the exception of the Duffman one and Behind the Laughter). They revolve around Homer too much.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
In my opinion, Season 11 had several weak episodes - The Kid Rock/Hillbilly one and the finale being the worst probably.

I really liked about 2 of them, and the rest were probably average. Overall, Season 11 demonstrated to me that they're running out of gas, and are resorting to more 'wacky' plots. I liked this season more than Season 10's though.

They'll probably kill the show in 2 or 3 years. It'll be sad, but I'll get over it... the syndicated re-runs are still funny and numerous. And for the disbelievers who think it'll still be running for 5 years from now, keep in mind that it ultimately lies in the writers/producers hands, and they want a graceful exit.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Could you imagine doing the Simpsons and Futurama at the same time? Even a bad episode of the Simpsons is better than the best episode of some of the junk out now. The show is garanteed to give you a good laugh every episode.

Barney and Ralph are my favorites :)

I think it has lasted this long because we all see a little of the characters in us.

Tchuss

Dooling37

Jun 7, 2000
SuperGroove - I've said those exact words to myself several times over the past couple years. ;)
&quot;Worst Episode Ever&quot;

I agree that they revolved around Homer too much. While he is my favorite character, all they do is throw him in some new, whacky, ridiculous situation and have him fumble out of it. The plots have none of the depth of the older seasons..IMO.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
And when the plug is finally pulled on The Simpsons, we'll still have Futurama.

Futurama, BTW, has been really really good. A couple of the starting episodes weren't that funny, but it's really picked up in a hurry. Bender's already established a hilarious personality.

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
The interesting thing about the Simpsons if the generation gap. Next time you get a chance, watch the Simpsons with various age people. What you will notices is that you are not all laughing at the same jokes. The kids will be laughing at one thing, and you will be laughing at another, and the old folks will be laughing at still another. This is the secret of the Simpsons longiveity. They appeal to the total age band. Something that most other show are not able to do.

nd

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Except old people. Not to make a generalization, but old people aren't good at anything, and have no sense of humor.