have you ever made a significant life decision that was out of character?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
After learning that it will cost me an extra $16,000 for two years of school at UNH vs UF, I'm seriously considering selling my extra stuff and moving back to Gainesville FL. I still have a substantial network of people down there, and have absolutely no doubt that I could find a job within a week. The problem is that it would likely pay half of what I make now. Granted, cost of living is way less, so that's not as much of an issue, but still.

I have nothing tying me down where I am, and the only reason I'm there is because I have a job. I don't like my job (I like what I do, but without going into detail I am far from happy where I am), I don't like the area, and housing costs are insane.

That said, it's still really hard for me to just pack up and go like that...it goes completely against how I usually do things.

Still, I'm really tempted to just go. I know I can make it work, but it's tough leaving my comfort zone like that.

Has anyone done something like this before? And does anyone want a truck or a snowmobile? :p

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
After learning that it will cost me an extra $16,000 for two years of school at UNH vs UF, I'm seriously considering selling my extra stuff and moving back to Gainesville FL. I still have a substantial network of people down there, and have absolutely no doubt that I could find a job within a week. The problem is that it would likely pay half of what I make now. Granted, cost of living is way less, so that's not as much of an issue, but still.

I have nothing tying me down where I am, and the only reason I'm there is because I have a job. I don't like my job (I like what I do, but without going into detail I am far from happy where I am), I don't like the area, and housing costs are insane.

That said, it's still really hard for me to just pack up and go like that...it goes completely against how I usually do things.

Still, I'm really tempted to just go. I know I can make it work, but it's tough leaving my comfort zone like that.

Has anyone done something like this before? And does anyone want a truck or a snowmobile? :p

The best way to understand yourself and your quality of character is to do something completely out of character.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
I don't like my job (I like what I do, but without going into detail I am far from happy where I am), I don't like the area, and housing costs are insane.

I think you've answered your own question about moving as it sounds like there is zero reason for you to stay in NH. You've said before how really the only thing you don't like about FL is the heat (it was 94 here in Lake Mary today...ugh)...doesn't sound like there's really anything you like in NH. Do it. Move back to Gainesville. Life is short, and it's better spent in a warm climate, surrounded by the beautiful women of UF.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I think you've answered your own question about moving as it sounds like there is zero reason for you to stay in NH. You've said before how really the only thing you don't like about FL is the heat (it was 94 here in Lake Mary today...ugh)...doesn't sound like there's really anything you like in NH. Do it. Move back to Gainesville. Life is short, and it's better spent in a warm climate, surrounded by the beautiful women of UF.

It was 88 in NH today, and last summer I was constantly bitching about the humidity (I saw days of 99% and even one at 100%, which I wasn't sure was possible :p). I hate the heat in FL less than I hate NH's cold in winter, so even that's a win-win trade-off.

I was in Gainesville over the weekend and remembered how much I like it there..I'm in SC now (driving back north) and I really didn't want to go.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
You haven't offered any reason for staying in NH except comfort zone, which seems like a weak excuse, especially since you have connections in Gainesville and will likely save money.

Have anyone else made a big move like that? How about CT to Italy to CT to VT to Korea to VT to FA to CT to Korea?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
You haven't offered any reason for staying in NH except comfort zone, which seems like a weak excuse, especially since you have connections in Gainesville and will likely save money.

Have anyone else made a big move like that? How about CT to Italy to CT to VT to Korea to VT to FA to CT to Korea?

That is the only reason - the comfort zone of my job. I have no doubt I can get a job down there, but I doubt I can walk into a $40k salary (which is what I am used to). I have some money saved and will have quite a bit more if I sell my truck ('05 Tundra, low miles, paid off), but I don't want to rely on savings either.

Last edited:

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
That is the only reason - the comfort zone of my job. I have no doubt I can get a job down there, but I doubt I can walk into a $40k salary (which is what I am used to). I have some money saved and will have a lot more if I sell my truck ('05 Tundra, low miles, paid off), but I don't want to rely on savings either.

How long will you be below your current salary (or equivalent, since FA will be cheaper)? In a sense you may be 'starting over again', but I assume the additional schooling is just part of your career plan anyways, so will a short term lose of income really be a big deal?

gaidensensei

Banned
May 31, 2003
Money shouldn't be the motivator, c'mon you know that.

It's the life experience that should really count. Live life to the fullest.

Fiscal security just leaves you to a life of routine with nothing new to expect, you know what's coming. Course that's not saying you should or shouldn't live that way.

I am also going for a jump to a new city later this year, it's just a matter of time now. Someplace I've never been nor know people there, and the job market is probably inferior to where I am now. But it's now or never.

Last edited:

caspur

Dec 1, 2007
Several years ago, I moved from NYC to small town USA.

Didn't know anyone when I moved here. Lived in a motel for two weeks until I could get an apartment. I didn't own any furniture and sat on the floor to eat my meals. Absolutely hated apartment living. I never dormed in college, so perhaps that was why it was all new to me.

The problem was, I had a good job. Which is small town USA meant I had a lot of money. And that is when the trouble started. I wasn't used to having large amounts of disposable income, living in my own place, and the addictive charms of alcohol, drugs and women. As they say, it was the best of times and the worst of times.

Fortunately, I've sobered up, bought a house, and now work for the government.

techforums

Apr 12, 2010
I plan on teaching English in Korea for a year once I graduate in 2011. Everyone who found out hated the idea. I live in a mostly conservative(not talking about politics) life so making this jump is pretty big for me.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Money shouldn't be the motivator, c'mon you know that.

It's the life experience that should really count. Live life to the fullest.

Fiscal security just leaves you to a life of routine with nothing new to expect, you know what's coming. Course that's not saying you should or shouldn't live that way.

I am also going for a jump to a new city later this year, it's just a matter of time now. Someplace I've never been nor know people there, and the job market is probably inferior to where I am now. But it's now or never.

Yeah, I know. And you're absolutely right; I'm really approaching the now or never point also - I'm not getting anywhere unless I was content to stay where I am, collect a paycheck, and just let life happen instead of making it what I want to be (which I'm not).

How long will you be below your current salary (or equivalent, since FA will be cheaper)? In a sense you may be 'starting over again', but I assume the additional schooling is just part of your career plan anyways, so will a short term lose of income really be a big deal?

It's hard to say. If I got another job in LE, I'd be right back to where I am - so it could be a while, or it could be not long at all..depends on if I'm able to get hired (no one has positions open now).

I really should just go. Maybe I'll try to get Lasik while I still have really good health insurance and then head south. :p

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I left a solid job as a patent attorney with the largest IP firm in the nation to become the in-house IP counsel for a small startup company in Portsmouth, NH. That was WAAAAAAY outside my comfort zone, and out of character for most attorneys (who are generally risk averse). I'm still trying to rationalize it, particularly as the company is now facing the possibility of winding down early next year.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
NH rocks...stay there. Well..it is kind of barren depending on where you live.

It rocks if you're into winter sports. Winter cuts into my motorcycle and MR2 time. :(

Hey, move up here and I will sell you a snowmobile! ;)

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
That is the only reason - the comfort zone of my job. I have no doubt I can get a job down there, but I doubt I can walk into a $40k salary (which is what I am used to). I have some money saved and will have quite a bit more if I sell my truck ('05 Tundra, low miles, paid off), but I don't want to rely on savings either.

Consider this:

If one can start as a Rookie/Police Officer in Training in Toledo, OH, and immediately have a $40k salary... that should say things about being able to find that salary elsewhere, especially with experience.

Toledo has constantly been facing hard times and has made so many various cuts, I was extremely surprised when I started looking around and saw a Trainee would already start right around $40k annual. I was like... SHIT, I should do that. :)

fulltilt39

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2009
I've done stuff like that twice already and about to do it a third time. Just want a change of pace and pick up and move.

First it was from California to the D.C. area after college.
Then to Alberta, Canada after 13 years in Maryland.
Now I have a job I like AND i'm near family I love, but I'm still seriously considering moving back to the U.S.

I like it - I love adventure in my life and new-ness. I think if you embrace it, it's a chance to be and do whatever you like without what everyone currently knows about you hanging over your head or influencing how you act.

Just my .02

Good luck! :)

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
I had never been outside my home town for longer than 2 weeks at one time until I graduated college (about 20yrs). I packed up all my stuff and moved to Phoenix a month after graduation and stayed there almost 7 years.

Going from a smaller town where I knew lots of people to one where I knew no one was definitely against my norm

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Yep, sometimes stepping outside of your comfort zone is the only way to grow.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
It is within my character to do stuff constantly that is out of character, so that being my character I guess my answer is yes.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Jlee, it sounds like you already know what you want to do, you just want AT to help you beat yourself into doing it.