Have you ever done the audiobook thing?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I haven't been tempted. Just seems icky to me the thought of someone reading a book to me. I don't remember my parents reading to me or anyone else, maybe that's part of it. I like to savor what I read. I imagine I wouldn't like it.

My library has a book I'm interested in as eAudioBook, was hoping for eBook. Eh.

My devices:

Android phones, Windows phones (all with headphone jacks)

Win10 laptops

Kindle Paperwhite (I think 2nd gen or something, don't think it supports any form of audio)

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Way back in the day I listened to a bunch of books on tape (lol) or CD during really long-haul drives to kill the time especially while in remote areas.

Some were a LOT better then others in terms of the reader. :rolleyes:

However since the advent of Sirius-XM (which comes in the same pretty much Maine to Baja) I have not felt the need.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
They're great to listen to while doing chores, going for a walk etc. or simply if you just want to give your eyes a rest.
There was a period when I regularly took long drives to school and work. I got thru a couple books that way. But its cheaper to read. Also reading is a nice way to relax before bed.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
When I was regularly driving across country when my dad was ill I used to listen to them in the car. They used to keep me awake better than the radio or music.

Reactions: Muse and Captante

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yeah, especially for older books that are out of copyright, as then they are often free in audiobook form. Definitely some readers are better than others.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They're great to listen to while doing chores, going for a walk etc. or simply if you just want to give your eyes a rest.
Yeah, lately at times my eyes hurt! :( It's usually at night when I'm approaching time to go to sleep. I think it may involve too much computer time.

For chores, I often listen to music, never thought of an audiobook kind of thing.
There was a period when I regularly took long drives to school and work. I got thru a couple books that way. But its cheaper to read. Also reading is a nice way to relax before bed.
LOL. I have books beside me in bed. The one I've been reaching for lately can get me to sleep pretty quick sometimes.

Last edited:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Tried it, after a short while I just tuned it out. About as boring as Reading, but easier to ignore. There is at least one online source for Free Audio Books(usually Older books, I used it for Darwins The Origin of the Species), don't recall the link, but a Google would find a place where you could try some out.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I always liked the concept but I read faster than they do and often the cadence makes me sleepy.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I've done it for the Expanse series so far and for the Bobiverse books(really fun sci fi series). I definitely recommend them for the latter. The guy does a great job. I just sign up for as many libraries as I can and sync them to my Libby app so that I can download audio/ebooks.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Yes all the time. You can usually get any audiobook you want through the public library for free. No reason to buy from Audible. I only listen to them when I'm doing something mindless - cleaning, walking to the store, going for a run, etc. Helps me keep my mind of the mindless tasks.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Tried it, they don't really seem to suit me, and I read much faster than that, so I just stick to reading when I want to read a book, and music if I want something to listen to.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Tried it, after a short while I just tuned it out. About as boring as Reading, but easier to ignore. There is at least one online source for Free Audio Books(usually Older books, I used it for Darwins The Origin of the Species), don't recall the link, but a Google would find a place where you could try some out.

Reading is a pretty dull town, it's true.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You can use TTS engine to read you ebooks if you wish.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Way back in the day I listened to a bunch of books on tape (lol) or CD during really long-haul drives to kill the time especially while in remote areas.

Some were a LOT better then others in terms of the reader.
did the same thing in the 4hr drives between dc and nyc.

after a short while, i just tuned it out.
then had to rewind back to what i last remembered.
rinse and repeat. :eek: :(

a month later, i couldnt tell you most of what i listened to.
gave up after a few audio books and went back to the radio.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
did the same thing in the 4hr drives between dc and nyc.

after a short while, i just tuned it out.
then had to rewind back to what i last remembered.
rinse and repeat. :eek: :(

a month later, i couldnt tell you most of what i listened to.
gave up after a few audio books and went back to the radio.

No question about it I usually don't retain information I listen to the same way I do when I read about a topic.

Especially if the info I'm trying to retain is 45 minutes of absolutely inflection-free monotone into an endless audio-only lecture! (which is exactly what poorly read/dictated audio books become)

Last edited:

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Ive listened to quite a few. I like them.
I also subscribe to quite a few short audio podcasts. You might try those out to see if you can get into listening to stories that way.
If you are into speculative fiction you might try "LaVar Burton reads" His podcasts are usually about an hour long short stories.
Or you could try "phoebe reads a mystery podcast", She does a chapter a day, so the books are broken up nicely. She has done some agatha christie, sherlock holmes, frankenstein, dracula, etc.