Have the opportunity to buy a D40, is the D40 worth getting now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I can't agree. A used D3200 or even D3100 would be better in many ways, including the ability to take videos. I would set my limit to $150 as the absolute most I'd pay for a D40 (body only). The high speed flash sync keeps D40's popular though.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
The photographer behind the camera is almost always the limiting factor. That's never up for debate. A NYT photographer took war photos with an iPhone. If I put a D40 in Annie Leibovitz's hands, she can shoot a spread for Vogue. You could put a D800/E in my hands and I wouldn't be able to do that.

Taking the photographer OUT of the equation, the D40 is dated. It's worth about $150 with a lens. There isn't a lot of upward room in the budget SLR market; brand new 2012 models sell for $599, so paying $300+ for a camera that debuted 6 years ago is absurd. If you don't need an OVF, there are m4/3rds cameras like the Panasonic GF5 that have kits for under $500, with gorgeous VGA touch-screens, 1080p video and exceptional picture quality for their size.

If you want to overpay for an old Nikon, at least get something that's worth it, like a D50. That camera could AF with inexpensive AF-D lenses like the nifty fifty (we're on a budget, right?).

twistedlogic

Feb 4, 2008
Taking the photographer OUT of the equation, the D40 is dated.

No debate there. But does it suddenly just stop taking good photos because it's dated?

It's worth about $150 with a lens.

According to you it is worth $150. Care to share a link where I can get one for only $150 that is not flee-bay. No joking, I would genuinely like to know where I could find any DSLR + lens for only $150.

The D40 is no longer in production, so a low shutter count mint D40 is worth way more than $150 to a photographer that would need a 1/500 flash sync. Even faster if you use non-TTL flashes, upwards to 1/4000. That is huge when trying to shoot outdoors @ large apertures and fill flash.

brand new 2012 models sell for $599, so paying $300+ for a camera that debuted 6 years ago is absurd.

So the OP should just pony up $600 because newer = better? For someone learning to use a DSLR and finds interest in the hobby, you know they will eventually upgrade anyway. And if they find no interest, its just a $330 learning experience. And for $300 the OP would get a DSLR + 2 lenses, giving them 18-200mm instantly. They aren't the best lenses in the world, but Nikon's kit lenses are pretty tack sharp.

I'm so glad I've gotten over my NAS. Now I actually use my equipment instead of worrying about what a better lens/body might do for me. Feels good to just shoot. I even quit pixel peeping, :O.

"Beginners worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light."

Ninja edit: Not trying to start a debate, just bored at work, :). I'm always trying to play devil's advocate.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
According to you it is worth $150. Care to share a link where I can get one for only $150 that is not flee-bay. No joking, I would genuinely like to know where I could find any DSLR + lens for only $150.

The D40 is no longer in production, so a low shutter count mint D40 is worth way more than $150 to a photographer that would need a 1/500 flash sync. Even faster if you use non-TTL flashes, upwards to 1/4000. That is huge when trying to shoot outdoors @ large apertures and fill flash.

what is wrong with ebay and you can indeed find them at times with dual lens for under $200 shipped and low use. This will be really easy after the holidays.

You can try consignment stores but that's harder as you have two sets of profits in there.

radhak

Aug 10, 2011
No debate there. But does it suddenly just stop taking good photos because it's dated?

According to you it is worth $150. Care to share a link where I can get one for only $150 that is not flee-bay.

Nicely put - and that's my point - there's enough market for the D40 for it to be selling pretty briskly at around $300 in local markets, CL, etc. I'd rather haggle with that CL seller than hunt on ebay. Of course, $390 for the refurbished D3100 JR posted is really good, but you don't get many of those, and a $100 shave off that for an older (but not much less capable) D40 is still savings.

Obviously the OP might as well find the $390 well worth the spend for the newer camera (with video!), but please, nobody diss my beloved D40...!

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
Radhak,
I kept my D40 for a long time and I regret trading it in on the D7000 because it was such a jewel of a camera. I keep looking at used D40s simply because... I feel very similarly about my old TRS-80 Model I and my Amiga 1000 microcomputers.

But, the D3100 is also a very nice camera and I can't imagine there being anything that I would do with the D40 that I could not do better with the D3100. Considering the D3100's bigger screen, better low light performance, VR kit lens, 1080p/24 video, 11 focus points vs 3 on D40; all while being lighter and basically the same size makes the choice a no-brainer (in direct comparison).

There is a $120ish savings on the D40, right now Adorama has a D40 w/ 18-55 lens in E condition for $249+shipping. For the price difference you could add the SB-400 flash or put it toward the 35mm f/1.8 prime.

The D40 s/b just as good as it always was. However, unknowns (e.g. corrosion of electrical contacts, tin-whiskers, etc...) can affect reliability. This is especially true when comparing a 6 year old used camera to a Refurbished-by-Nikon gen-2 camera.

I promise to never diss the beloved D40.

JR

Last edited:

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Last I checked, the D3100 is incompatible with the IR remote. Otherwise a good camera, but the decision to subtract a feature that even older cameras had was a mistake, IMO.

JohnnyRebel

Feb 7, 2011
Last I checked, the D3100 is incompatible with the IR remote. Otherwise a good camera, but the decision to subtract a feature that even older cameras had was a mistake, IMO.

Truly wierd. I know the D3000 did. Wow. ID10T decision from Nikon. I use my IR ($1.25 shipped on Ebay) all the time.

So, the D40 wins on flash sync and IR remote.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I think we all agree the D40 is/was an excellent camera still...however there are plenty better competitors at the $300+ price point used.

The D40 is like the old Celeron 300A's that did 450+ of the past. People were still paying a premium for them, when faster cheaper chips were out.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It's probably a change in lighting used for the test scene over the years. That said, the D40's reproduction of red is far too saturated.

I would have to say all the colors in that one pic look a little oversaturated, not just red. I suppose I could use the color analysis utility in Photo Paint to check it out though.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
still keeping my d40. just love it and i have moved over to m43.

my d40 got 35mm f/1.8 + sb-400 flash. it still take awesome pictures. 35mm is really all you need with this camera :)