Have the flu, should I take medicine or let it be?

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
This is something I never really understood as a kid, I know that sin ec the Flu is a virus medicines don't actually stop it they just make you feal better, but at the same time the symptoms are desinged to help fight the infection, so in a way you are hurting yourself by taking the meds. So my question is when you get the flue do you take meds for it or just let it be and feel like shit for a week?

I mean I am freaking dying here, should I just take some meds, or will that only help now and make me even more sick later?

EDIT: also what about temperature, I keep shivering and fealing cold, but my body temp is 102.5, should I put on blankets and let my temp go where it wants to be or try too cool off and just shiver like shit all day?

EDIT2: and I have a test tommorow and I'm totally gonna fail because I can't even move and my head feals like its 5 sizes too big :(.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
You should take something to ease the symptoms. It does nothing to your immune system or recovery time. Where did you get such an outlandish idea?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
lol, wtf?

Take some god damn Tylenol, you fool. :p That's nonsense.

Keeping your fever down and stopping mucous production, etc does not lengthen the sickness. Most symptoms are just that, symptoms of the infection.

AFAIK, a fever by itself does little to fight infection, although that probably depends on what you're infected with. I'm sure its pretty effective against some things. It's one of those overkill things our body does.

Bad design that you can self terminate by overheating, IMO. ;) lol

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: homercles337
You should take something to ease the symptoms. It does nothing to your immune system or recovery time. Where did you get such an outlandish idea?

Well a fever helps slow down the multiplications of viruses, and aching joints are due to increased permeability of membranes which also let white blood cells travel more freely to the infection etc.. Most all the symptoms are evolutionary adaptations to help fight disease, they just suck to feel is all.

EDIT: FWIW I have never taken a tylonol or any other medication like that since ~age 10, is there a special type of just ge the first thing that says "Tylonol"?.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: BrownTown
Originally posted by: homercles337

Well a fever helps slow down the multiplications of viruses, and aching joints are due to increased permeability of membranes which also let white blood cells travel more freely to the infection etc.. Most all the symptoms are evolutionary adaptations to help fight disease, they just suck to feel is all.

EDIT: FWIW I have never taken a tylonol or any other medication like that since ~age 10, is there a special type of just ge the first thing that says "Tylonol"?.

Seriously? You haven't taken any form of acetominophen since 10? It's all my parents ever gave me and I've used in college. I've recently discovered the wonders of ibuprofen.

Just get some 500mg/tab tylenol/generic brand stuff.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Any way you can talk to your teacher about making up the test at a later date?

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm...

Well, Wikipedia seems to agree more with you than me. I think its a little overstated, though. Not suffering for 3 days is worth slightly suffering for a 4th, or whatever. By the end of the sickness, things aren't really bad anymore..

Bill Brasky

Diamond Member
May 18, 2006
If you're sure you have the flu, you should look into Tamiflu or Relenza. Both of these antivirals prevent viral replication and were recently approved by the FDA. My friend took Tamiflu and said he recovered very quickly. Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck with your test!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Zaitsev
If you're sure you have the flu, you should look into Tamiflu or Relenza. Both of these antivirals prevent viral replication and were recently approved by the FDA. My friend took Tamiflu and said he recovered very quickly. Anyway, hope this helps, and good luck with your test!

My wife started taking Tamiflu over the weekend after having a positive culture swab for Influenza "A". She rebounded back pretty quick after starting the drug.

Downside is that it wasn't covered by insurance and was $120 out of pocket. In in a "sick" and twisted way I was actually hoping to get the flu this week so I was burning sick time instead of much more precious PTO hours.

:eek:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Dumb question but is Tamiflu over the counter?

My wife has been sick for about 4 days and it's questionable whether she's going back to work tomorrow.

If I come down with this nasty bug, I'd want to fight it off quickly.

Never mind, I Googled it like I should have in the beginning.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: boomerang
Dumb question but is Tamiflu over the counter?

My wife has been sick for about 4 days and it's questionable whether she's going back to work tomorrow.

If I come down with this nasty bug, I'd want to fight it off quickly.

Never mind, I Googled it like I should have in the beginning.

It's prescription. I think I paid around $60 at Costco pharmacy for a week's supply.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's a perscription. Your doctor should require a postive culture for an influenza strain, and it has to be started within 48 hours of symptom onset.

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Although many experts will agree that fever is a natural defense against infection and in some cases may help to kill pathogens, this mechanism works very poorly in viral infections. Also fevers above 102.0 F should not be tolerated for any significant length of time as they may lead to excessive fluid loss, lactic acidosis, and in children seizures.
It is never a good idea to bundle up when you have a fever, although uncomfortable you need to release excess heat.
Most symptomatic medication for cold and flu do not prolong the course of disease, and some may help the bodies mechanisms work more efficently.
Tamiflu, Flumadine and Amantadine are 3 available anti-virals that inhibit viral replication for influenza viruses. They don't work for more simple cold viruses which have less complex replication techniques.

The most important thing is rest. For God's sake people stay home when you are sick. And if you boss gets upset, go in and give a big wet kiss so he gets it.