Have speakers, need amp (help)

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I was just given a set of speakers and need to know how cheaply I can power them or if I should just add them to next week's trip to the dump. I have never owned a component system and so could use a basic lesson here. Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/home-cinema-system/lg-lh-d-6530/details/

Edit: if you prefer not to click the link, here are the specs:

LG LH-D6530
Home entertainment system. I have the 5 speakers and sub-woofer only.

Output Power / Total 350 Watt
Amplifier Output details 50 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 10% - 5 channel(s) ( surround )
100 Watt - 8 Ohm - THD 10% - 1 channel(s) ( subwoofer )

Speaker(s)
2 x right/left channel speaker - external - wired
2 x right/left rear channel speaker - external - wired
1 x centre channel speaker - external - wired
1 x subwoofer - external - wired

I would also like to explore hooking them up to one of my computers. I do not really need them and am not prepared to spend more than $30 or $40 bucks to be able to use them.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
I have the 5 speakers and sub-woofer only.I would also like to explore hooking them up to one of my computers. I do not really need them and am not prepared to spend more than $30 or $40 bucks to be able to use them.

Thanks for any help.

You'll need a 5.1 capable receiver to connect to your PC. Look on Craigslist. If you are still in the Baltimore area, here are some to consider:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/2375303086.html

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/2379005779.html

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Thanks. I am still in Baltimore. I notice that The Harman Kardon only puts out 325 watts while the speakers are rated at 350w total.

Does that mean the speakers will overload the receiver or will they just not be as loud?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'll look even more stupid running through the house screaming like a lunatic as the fire spreads from the receiver to the drapes :D

velillen

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2006
How much power your speakers get is more or less irrelevant. Especially looking at total system output (the 350w). You wont damage a speaker that has a max wattage of 200W by giving it only 100W. You could damage it by giving it say 300W though. But that would be if you were playing it loud and the such. Most can handle peaks of higher power for short times...just not sustained. Also of note is quite a few AVR's actual output differs from there listed output. So that 100W might actually only be 90 or so. Theres tests all over the place for popular models.

Both of those offer SPIDF which would work just fine for using on your pc as well. Just need ot buy the cable to hook it up assuming your pc has a spidf output (which it should im guesing)

Are the LG speakers normal speaker wire connections? Like do they just use plain ol speaker wire?

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Ok thanks. I had it backwards. I was thinking of components in a circuit drawing power from the power supply, and the supply having to be able to meet the demand.

You made me remember that in the instance of a receiver and speakers, the speakers are not drawing the power, the receiver is pushing it and it's up to the speakers to be able to handle the load.