Have P4C800-E Deluxe....go to A8V-E Deluxe ???

aamsel

Jan 24, 2000
I am not a gamer, but I truly enjoy fast systems.
I have had a P4C800-E Deluxe with 2.8 P4-C for over a year, with a Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro, and 1GB Kingston Hyper-X PC4000 RAM (DDR500) which I know is slow.
I have had no luck gettting anything other than stock speed out of this setup.
I am interested in an Athlon 64 setup, but also can not truly justify a PCI Express video card.

My question:
Would a A64 Socket 969 in an ASUS A8V-E Deluxe setup with my existing Saphire Radeon 9800 Pro be a true upgrade to the P4C800-E Deluxe, or just somewhat of an "even exchange"???

Your reply would be greatly appreciated, because this kind of information is really not available by reading reviews.

Again, I am not a gamer in any real shape or form, I just want a system that feels really fast, and is extremely capable.

If this would be a true upgrade, which memory should I go with ???
(not a big overclocker either)

Thanks very much.

Andrew
Austin, TX

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I wonder why you can't overclock that stuff, it's premium gear.... Maybe it's your cooling or your power supply?

To answer your question we'd have to know which CPU you'd be plugging into that motherboard and what you use your system for primarily (we know it's not gaming but what Do you do?)

The Pentium Guy

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2005
Yeah I'm wodnering too why you can't overclock that stuff.
I don't think its really worth the change. Wait a few years, becuase that setup is pretty good.

Read up on the forums (search) about A8V-E deluxe, ASUS isn't what they were before... it's horrifying. I have an ASUS P4P800-e deluxe, a rock solid board (great overclocks, even with Geil CL2.5 RAM)... but the A8V-e deluxe is horrifying.

Not even their A8N is that great.... it's really problematic and lots of people have been having problems getting it to boot.

I'd keep your setup. If you ever need to upgrade, just get a new CPU (you dont need a new GPU becuase you said you don't play games.)

-The Pentium Guy

aamsel

Jan 24, 2000
Which CPU would you upgrade to ???

To answer the other questions, I have an Antec TruePower 430 and other good fans in the case, and a good Thermalright heatsink with 120MM fan.

Also, are there any mATX SFF motherboards and cases that would support the P4-C and allow for cooling of fast hard drives ??

I had considered going to a Shuttle with 875P chipset, but was concerned about Raptor drives in one of them "burning up".

Any other alternatives??

I would like something smaller than my current Lian Li PC66 tower, if there was a good alternative.

Thanks,
Andrew
Austin, TX