Have not played a PC game in 3 years - make a recommendation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
You haven't missed a whole lot in 3 years. There have been A LOT of junk console ports (especially in the last year). Check out Oblivion and Fallout 3 if you haven't yet. GTA4 is good, but you'll probably have to tweak the settings to get good FPS out of it (because it's just another junk console port). Crysis is just a pretty game with a bunch of random action and not a whole lot of story. CoD4 is still a good game; it's not quite as popular as CoD MW2, but it's definitely a better experience on PC than CoD MW2 is. CoD MW2 is nothing but a junk console port. IW has their fans brainwashed into thinking that anything that bares the CoD name is pure awesomeness... or it could just be the fact that most of them haven't played any real shooters besides CoD.

Last edited:

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
IMO nothing really good has come out since Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and F.E.A.R.

You haven't missed much. I built another gaming computer to catch up like you seem to want to now (my last build was 2004), but turns out there were no good games to play. I still play the same multiplayer games as I did in 2004: Warcraft 3, CS 1.6, UT2004, TFC, etc.

There is hope though, with Doom 4, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and Rage all slated to come out within the next 2 years (Doom 4 may be a bit longer).

shiznit

Nov 16, 2004
If you never played past the first Half Life STOP READING NOW and BUY the Orange Box! You will get HL2, both episodes, TF2, and Portal. Portal is amazing. Best $30 you will ever spend, trust me on this.

Dawn of War 2 is my favorite RTS ever, not to be missed. Most of the good of CoH but more accessible (referring to multiplayer of course).

GTA4 is just crazy good and runs fine with quad core, especially nehalem, check my sig I have same cpu and it screams.

Torchlight is my favorite Diablo clone ever, it's very cheap on Steam.

Fallout 3 is excellent but not quite as good as the old ones, still much better than Oblivion. The Mass Effects are good too but kinda linear, KOTOR was better.

Rome: Total War kicks ass but Napoleon is coming out this so I dunno if it would be worth it.

Last edited:

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Batman: Arkham Asylum. One of the best PC games to come out in a very long time. Graphics are probably the best of the Unreal Engine games, story and atmostphere are excellent. PC controls are good, but intense combat can be difficult without a gamepad. The physics effects are crazy awesome, but since you have an ATI, you'll have to hack the game to get it to work.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Supreme Commander 2 (Comes out next week)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Only for the multiplayer and only if you have some friends who also play it)
Saints Row 2
Civilization 4 Complete

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
Definitely Mass Effect 1 and 2

For the past few years I've been a WoW addict, which has effectively ruined most games for me. The only games that I can sit in front of for hours are the Call of Duty and ME series.

Niku

Aug 31, 2008
Note that by NOT buying MW2, you are providing ample fodder for Infinity Ward to insinuate that not only are you pirating the game, but the PC game market is no longer profitable and cease further development.

Good riddance. Buy Battlefield Bad Company 2, since we are making broad assertions about what the game industry thinks when we buy certain games.

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
I haven't played in some time (2 years roughly), but I thoroughly enjoyed STALKER SHOC and now I am playing STALKER Clear Sky with Complete mod and it's pretty damn good. I started on Fallout 3, but lost interest, same with ME(maybe will continue later). The atmosphere and relative openness of STALKER take the cake for me. And once you get better weapons, sneak and peek, shoot and loot game is pure fun fest:)

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
I haven't played in some time (2 years roughly), but I thoroughly enjoyed STALKER SHOC and now I am playing STALKER Clear Sky with Complete mod and it's pretty damn good. I started on Fallout 3, but lost interest, same with ME(maybe will continue later). The atmosphere and relative openness of STALKER take the cake for me. And once you get better weapons, sneak and peek, shoot and loot game is pure fun fest:)

ME had fairly slow start, but once it picked up though, it never slows down. :D

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
I have played Mass Effect #1...very fun game. #2 is waiting on my desk, but i won't play it till i finish Dragon Age Origins...pretty fun, but it kind of tails off towards the end in my opinion.

Bioshock, probably one of the best story driven games i've played in awhile. It's a little dark, but very fun (at least it was on 360).

I was one of the only people who was not overly blown away with Batman AA (apparently), it was kind of...over hyped. I even love batman...maybe that was the problem.

Oh, and it's not exactly graphically amazing, but Plants vs. Zombies man!

Edit: I should also mention i am not too big on Multiplayer, so i couldn't really say anything in that respect.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Note that by NOT buying MW2, you are providing ample fodder for Infinity Ward to insinuate that not only are you pirating the game, but the PC game market is no longer profitable and cease further development.

Let them concentrate on consoles games then. Let the console players spend 75 dollars on a 3 hour game from Infinity Ward. This will free up space on real gaming platforms for developers who care more about their pocket books.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Depends on the type of games (single player/multi player/fps/rts/turn base/...) Here are some recent games I've enjoyed:
civ 4 (fun but I suck at it)
king bounty (both of them; spent more than 6 months full time on each)
space ranger 2 reboot (wonderful game but has a slow start)
far cry (not far cry 2 is on my list of worse game ever)
mass effect 1 (better than mass effect 2 but has some design issues; the one free DLC is the best part of the game; wished more of the missions had similar quality level)
mass effect 2 (ok not great)
Dragon Age (ok; not great)
Dead Space (would be great if they fixed controls; but unlike far cry (not far cry 2) one play is enough to see it all).
--
Games I own but have not played and have high expectation (new total war (just before Napolen); king Arthur; Dawn of War 2; Fallout 3 (started it but then ended up playing KB-TL), red fraction, batman - started it and thought it was really good but then finished KB-AP; it will be my next game).
--
Games I played but you should avoid:
red alert 3
all recent command and conquer
supreme commander (actually this is ok i guess; I just found it boring - didn't recapture the magic of TA)
--
I try to avoid bad games; actually I did play oblivion to completion but I would give it a 5.5 (far cry 2 is a 2.0 while space ranger 2 and kb series are all 8.0 on my scale)
--
There are actually some interesting indie games out there and older titles if you can live with older graphics.
--
Games I remembered missing but would like to play:
Risen
Divinity 2

Currently number 1 on my list of hopeful games for this year is
Elemental magic or whatever the name of the new impulse game

Actually there is a list of some 30 or 40 new games planned for this year and about 20 of them look pretty decent; though actual realization might differ. Can't find the list now but it has nifty screen shots.

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
borderlands has been quite fun for me.

but I wish they would do something crazy like katamari .

something unique.