Have memory prices bottomed out or should I wait a bit longer?

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I want to buy some memory chips right now. They are pretty good...pretty low...but not setting any historically low records. So they could go lower. I know they could also go higher as well. Should I buy now or wait for them to go lower? What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the input.

Edit: I am looking at DDR3/DDR4 desktop chips but I may go for an Intel NUC also so, lets look at SO-DIMMs as well.

larryccf

May 23, 2015
how much lower do you want them to go? the same DDR3 i paid $156 for 9 months ago is now $85

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
how much lower do you want them to go? the same DDR3 i paid $156 for 9 months ago is now $85

They are higher than they were 3 holidays ago...still...they have you in the palm of their hands it seems. :) What's that saying..."He who cannot remember the past is condemned to repeat it?" LoL.

Oct 30, 2004
It seems like Newegg has been putting 2 x 8 GB sets on sale lately. I kind of wonder if they're clearing out DDR3 and whether DDR3 prices will start increasing once the bulk of inventory has been sold.

larryccf

May 23, 2015
yeah, that's a strong possibility, but i suspect DDR3 is "yesterday's news" and DDR4 is the flavor du jour. Still, a drop of nearly 50% of their peak price is kind of a signal that this isn't a bad time to buy

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Been meaning to pick up another 2x4 GB kit to hit 16 GB in my system here, though I have other things higher on my list.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
I'll buy now.

Based on price history, while the prices could still go slightly lower, they could also get much higher.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I'll buy now.

I agree. OP, either you need it now, or you don't. As far as trying to figure out if RAM prices will drop or pop $2 a set... well, I left my crystal ball at home. Prices right now are lower than they have been in a long while (right around 2011 levels, if memory serves...) so I don't think they are going to get much lower.

As far as DDR3, I expect manufacturers (and retailers, by default) to pare back production and model variations as the need lessens and demand for DDR4 increases. I figure the retailers to start discounting some of the odd stuff to clear it out... but that's a 'right place at the right time' proposition.

TheDarkKnight

Jan 20, 2011
I agree. OP, either you need it now, or you don't. As far as trying to figure out if RAM prices will drop or pop $2 a set... well, I left my crystal ball at home. Prices right now are lower than they have been in a long while (right around 2011 levels, if memory serves...) so I don't think they are going to get much lower.

As far as DDR3, I expect manufacturers (and retailers, by default) to pare back production and model variations as the need lessens and demand for DDR4 increases. I figure the retailers to start discounting some of the odd stuff to clear it out... but that's a 'right place at the right time' proposition.

Yes, but "right around" and "lower than" are different things. I bought a 16GB(2x8GB) DDR3 memory kit in the past for dirt cheap. I will never forget the price I paid. They are not as low as they have been. It's the old "boost" and "drop" machine in motion to make people think it's a good deal.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Yes, but "right around" and "lower than" are different things. I bought a 16GB(2x8GB) DDR3 memory kit in the past for dirt cheap. I will never forget the price I paid. They are not as low as they have been. It's the old "boost" and "drop" machine in motion to make people think it's a good deal.

As I said, either you need it or you don't. Memory isn't something you stock up on for a rainy day. Only you can decide if the price asked for a set of RAM is worth it to you, no matter what you may have paid for a set of RAM in the past.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Memory isn't something you stock up on for a rainy day.

Some of us did just that, back when it was $30 per 8GB kit. Only JUST recently, has it dropped that low again. It MAY go lower, who knows. But right now is a good, cheap, time to buy DDR3.

Essence_of_War

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2013
Some of us did just that, back when it was $30 per 8GB kit. Only JUST recently, has it dropped that low again. It MAY go lower, who knows. But right now is a good, cheap, time to buy DDR3.
Why would you brag about buying commodity hardware you didn't plan on using? :eek:

Memory doesn't appreciate in value, and it's effectively traded on a commodity market. "Saving" it for a rainy day doesn't really make any sense.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Currently, you can buy:

1. 32GB DDR3 2400 CAS11 for under $170

2. 32GB DDR4 3200 CAS15/16 for under $250

1. Will last you the lifetime of any DDR3 processor/system.

2. Will last you at least 2-3 years for enthusiast usage or 3-5 years for regular gaming usage.

I don't understand why would you wait for RAM to become cheaper.