Have linguists ever figured out what the 'perfect' language was?

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
I mean, think about it. English has so many special cases and convoluted ideas that it can hardly be called an ideal language. And we've developed all sorts of languages in human history - greek, latin, all the Western euope languages, all the Asian languages, not to mention all the regional dialects of African tribes.

So I'm wondering if anyone has actually decided on which language is 'best.' Like all things that aren't subjective there has to be an ideal set of conditions for a language that scholars and linguists have agreed upon. I'm just curious if such a task has ever been undertaken...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
i thought that a guy had actually created what he thought was the "perfect" language, and something that everybody should learn. Of course they didn't. As it is now people should learn english. it runs the show, so don't buck the trend.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
there were some pushes for a universal language with easy rules back in the early part of last century. none of them worked, of course.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Good question.. Not sure but i have a question.. is sign language more-or-less universal? or does it differ by language also. I'm sure it differs, but maybe i'm wrong.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
i thought that a guy had actually created what he thought was the "perfect" language, and something that everybody should learn. Of course they didn't. As it is now people should learn english. it runs the show, so don't buck the trend.

Obviously. That's not what I asked though, and the ideal language according to linguists may be a dead one, perhaps Latin or Greek. Obviously I'm not ever going to undertake the task of learning a language I'm not going to find relevant, but there have been thousands of languages with completely different structures and there are probably enough researchers with enough free time to analyze and categorized 'the best.'

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
there were some pushes for a universal language with easy rules back in the early part of last century. none of them worked, of course.

Esperanto

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: JEDI
Originally posted by: ElFenix

Esperanto

that was it!

sign language varies not only by language, but also by locality. that is, ASL is different from what they have in england, iirc

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
there is no such thing as a perfect language.

let's take for example the word "uncle".

in english, there is "uncle", but when you say, Uncle, do you know anything other than it is a male person related by blood and is one generation above??

in Korean, we have a different word for each of the different permutations of the word "uncle", hence when we hear Wae Sam Chun, we know that it is my mothers brother.

which way of doing it is better? "uncle" is obviously easier to learn but it doesn't communicate as much. the Korean way is harder to learn initially but obviously communicates more.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
i just know that when i took high school spanish having half a dozen or more ways to say "the" seriously aggravated me.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
I don't believe that gender for nouns would be in the 'perfect' language. I don't think that having a female table adds anything to communication, it just makes the language harder to learn.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: edro13
Originally posted by: beer
Originally posted by: IcemanJer
binary

Have fun speaking it.

It's called Morse Code. :D

Beep beeeep beep beeep

Actually, I use Binary Sign Language when driving all the time.

You'll often see me communicating "1101001"

Middle finger, middle finger, shaking closed fist, middle finger ... :D

- M4H

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Just learn to spell the alphabet with your tongue!

Oh, wait...

Beat you to the reference. ;)

- M4H

:p

You know what they say about intelligent minds!

They love to eat p... Erm, they love Bimmerchick? :D

- M4H

Hey, get your tonque off my woman ;)

Jan 31, 2002
Just learn to spell the alphabet with your tongue!

Oh, wait...

Beat you to the reference. ;)

- M4H

:p

You know what they say about intelligent minds!

They love to eat p... Erm, they love Bimmerchick? :D

- M4H

Hey, get your tonque off my woman ;)

She said if I stopped, she'd crush my head between her legs. :p

- M4H