Question have curved monitors gone the way of 3D tv?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I picked up our Chevy Metro at the car shop a couple of days ago, and noticed that the owner has a curved monitor. I remember at one point maybe a year ago, looking at a discounted (around 40% off) monitor, but truly, I couldn't really see much benefit at home.

It makes sense for the car shop owner, I guess - not as easy for people to see what he is looking up when he's looking up parts.

Are curved monitors going the way of the dinosaur?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I recall reading somewhere that monitor size matters. Obviously imho you wouldn't need any curve on a 19" monitor, but a 54" it should help with keeping your eyes the same distance from the screen at any point on the display.

q52

Jan 18, 2023
I recall reading somewhere that monitor size matters. Obviously imho you wouldn't need any curve on a 19" monitor, but a 54" it should help with keeping your eyes the same distance from the screen at any point on the display.

This. Even on a "common" setup like dual-27" monitors you run into the issue of the far edges of the screens requiring you to refocus your vision such that it becomes uncomfortable for your eyes to need to keep refocusing as you look back and forth

personally, I just gave up on the whole endeavor and settled on a single 27" 4K monitor for all my systems, even when using my laptop I just put it in "mirror mode" and dont even bother to extend the desktop. Simpler to deal with.

also keep in mind that if you really want to make use of a massively wide monitor you are gonna want a strong window-tiling system. iirc Windows is actually pretty good for this with window snapping, but historically macOS and many Linux distros did not have as good support for this making ultrawide screens kinda annoying in that you need to manually drag windows all over the place by hand all the time or futz with third party window tiling tools

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I would disagree. My personal preference is a large flat monitor.

I despised* my 32" curved display. A deep burning hatred.

But I love my current 42" flat display.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I use Multi-monitor because I often have monitoring software/spotify/webpage open on the other display(s) and Ultrawide/Curved displays just don't work for my use cases. I tried curved, sent it back and vowed never to buy another again. 28" 4K & 27" 1440p either side works just fine for me.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Uncomfortable to view?
It just was not right for me.

I could never quite get a comfortable distance from it. Either to far or to close. Constantly messing with the vertical tilt and side to side alignment. I just could not quite relax looking at it.

It was such a nice expensive and well reviewed monitor I could not justify replacing it, but after a while I found myself hoping it would break and then trying to give it away so I could justify buying anything else.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
I'm curious about the equidistant thing. If I'm viewing it straight on, I don't have to turn my head and just moving my eyes around I can focus on any part of the curved screen?
I think on 27" with that much curve you probably would have to turn/refocus. Not positive since I haven't used one that small, but 32" 1000R is just about right.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I love my 27" curved. Its not super curved, its just enough to feel natural. My second display is flat, as its off the side and a curved display to the side doesn't feel right. But love the center display being curved.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I run a 55" QLED curved screen. When I originally brought it home it was the same TV but flat and at 55" it just didn't look right. I brought it back to the store and exchanged it for the same model but curved. Its so much nicer with the curve. On a smaller screen i don't think I'd care but when you get big, the curve is appealing to me anyway.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I run a 55" QLED curved screen. When I originally brought it home it was the same TV but flat and at 55" it just didn't look right. I brought it back to the store and exchanged it for the same model but curved. Its so much nicer with the curve. On a smaller screen i don't think I'd care but when you get big, the curve is appealing to me anyway.

My wife likes to sit WAY over to the side of the room in her favorite chair, even when there are plenty of spaces available on the couch right in front of the TV. I have the feeling that this would not work out well with a curved screen, because it would probably make the extreme left of the screen completely unviewable for her.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
@GunsMadeAmericaFree The curve is not that great. Where mine is mounted on the wall, it can be viewed just fine from clear across the room at an extreme angle to the TV. Not Ideal of course but totally doable. This Samsung's curve is slight. It's perfect IMO.

As you can see, the curve is slight and IMO beautiful when mounted to the wall over my desk.

tv.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm curious about the equidistant thing. If I'm viewing it straight on, I don't have to turn my head and just moving my eyes around I can focus on any part of the curved screen?

For a small/mid-size monitor (27-32 inch) I strongly suggest a milder curve along the lines of 1800r and no sharper than 1500r.... also IMO 32 inch 16:9 1440p is the "sweet spot" for size vs resolution/aspect-ratio.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Just make sure you do your homework and read/watch a lot of reviews.

Those Samsung G9 monitors are known for being extremely quirky and failure-prone based on previous 49 inch models.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I love my curved 34" ultrawide. It took getting used to at first. It is immersive. Occasionally, I watch fullscreen video and gaming. Most of the time I use it as a split screen monitors. It's like two 27" monitors side by side. Lots of vertical real estate when used that way. No need for a second monitor for my needs. I reused my old Ergotron monitor arm. It can support the weight. Just had to torqued down with an allen wrench on the last joint connected to the VESA mount. I'd say I sit about 3 feet away from the monitor.