Have any of you guys had a hernia?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I had a hernia repaired earlier this year. It was an inguinal hernia and quite nasty. I had an actual tear in the muscle instead of just a weak spot. There are several ways to have a hernia repaired. The two most common are to get cut right at the hernia site, or to have small cuts made in your chest area and they go in with fancy little tools. The former has a longer healing time than the latter. I chose the former for several reasons.

Cost was not as much as I expected. I didn't need to pay much out of pocket. Total cost overall for the procedure was less than $5k. I had a very good doctor and am now at 100% with a barely noticeable scar.

YMMV

NGC_604

Apr 9, 2003
I'm sorry to hear about your hernia. I was having pain in my groin area and went to the doctors this week. Apparently I have inflammation that could be the beginning of a hernia. So I'm on medication and not to do much of any lifting for the next two weeks and head back in. I'm hoping all goes well because like you I do not have any insurance right now. Good luck with yours.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
I was born with one, which is actually quite common. IIRC it was a bilateral involuntary hernia. they had to make 2-4" cute on the top of my groin, and it was REALLY sore for about 3 days after. The first day, even with the crazy drugs they gave me, was just about unbarable.

Oblivionaire

Jul 29, 2006
Originally posted by: funkymatt
I was born with one, which is actually quite common. IIRC it was a bilateral involuntary hernia. they had to make 2-4" cute on the top of my groin, and it was REALLY sore for about 3 days after. The first day, even with the crazy drugs they gave me, was just about unbarable.

You remember what you felt when you were born? What were you born yesterday? ;)

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
I can't help you with the money since insurance paid for it, but as for the recovery time, I felt only slight pain the first 2 days, and I never had to use the drugs. I had the surgery on a Friday evening and went to school that money and was fine, I was even able to run around (though I don't think i was supposed to). However I just had the weak spot type hernia where there was a little in pocketing of the chest cavity inside my scrotum such that some day it would look like I had 3 balls (OK, thats prolly too much info, but really it never hurt at all, I just thought my left nut was really big my whole life, I guess in retrospect I am retarded for not getting that looked at sooner).

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Hope everything is going well!
rose.gif

fishmonger12

Sep 14, 2004
Despite having to get surgery, I congratulate you for being smart enough to recognize a problem and actually go to the doctor. My only memories of my hernia (I was young) was getting GI joes from my best friends. I hope everything's goin well!