Have any of you guys had a hernia?

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Can girls get them too? I figure its mostly a guy thing simply because guys do heavy lifting and exert themselves more than women generally.

What are the symptoms/signs?

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
Anyone can get a hernia, I had one right above my bladder and on the left side. It wasn't painful at all, and it was caused by lifting weights.

As far as symptoms, it was a large pooch about the size of half an orange that protuded from my body. When you push it in, it slowly pushes itself back out, and they tend to be aggravated by bearing down or coughing.

They can be large or small, but they do need to be surgically corrected as they can become strangulated. Men can also get them in their inguinal canal, which means it protrudes into the scrotum.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
There are all kinds of hernias, and yes, girls can get them also.

Check this out: http://www.hernia.org/manjava.html

In general, a hernia is a defect in a muscle wall that allows something to protrude through that shouldn't, often resulting in a bulge or lump in the area.
I had a scrotal hernia as an infant, and last year had an umbilical hernia repaired.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Well, yesterday afternoon, I had a big coughing fit for whatever reason and then I felt this dull pain down by my pubic bone. It isnt painful, just barely noticeable, kind of like a sore muscle. There isnt any bulging or anything visibly different though, and when I apply pressure around the area, it doesnt make it any worse.

Think I'll make an appointment to be sure.

Dualist

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2005
Never had one in the past, but it's hard for men to predict when a hernia is about to occur.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
my roommate from 2nd year (now am in 4th year) had a hernia, he exerted a full energy on deadlift. he then dropped the bar and screamed in pain.

he was gone for a weekend due to a surgery. during that span, he couldn't work out so he went out swimming laps instead.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
Definitely make an appointment. You may have created a tear in an already weak part of your abdominal wall that could allow a hernia to occur. If you can avoid the surgery down the road, do. My incision site still bothers me 8 years later sometimes when I stretch the wrong way.

kevman

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Armitage
T
I had a scrotal hernia as an infant, and last year had an umbilical hernia repaired.

OW OW OW OW OW OW OW OMG that sounds painful!!!

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MX2times
Well, yesterday afternoon, I had a big coughing fit for whatever reason and then I felt this dull pain down by my pubic bone. It isnt painful, just barely noticeable, kind of like a sore muscle. There isnt any bulging or anything visibly different though, and when I apply pressure around the area, it doesnt make it any worse.

Think I'll make an appointment to be sure.

Sounds more like a pulled muscle or such then a hernia. You would notice a lump or bump if it were a hernia.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: kevman
T

yeah, OK I was born with one too, but it wasn't repaired till I was 18. BTW, this is a hernia in the muscle wall between the scrotum and the chest cavity, and it can be REALLY nasty, fortunately mine was just a weakend muscle wall, so nothing actually went from one side to the other. But, you know when you go the the doctor and they stick their finger in your sack and wiggle it around while telling you to cough? Well they did that, and the guy was like "hey this is interesting feeling", and proceeded to keep proding my balls with his finger for another minute. Anyways, the pain of having a guy stick his finger all the way up into by body through my balls was WAAY worse than the hernia ever was itself. So, just thought I'd share that fun story with the rest of you. The surgery was no big deal, I was back to 100% in 2 days, and never had to use any of the pain medication I got.

EDIT: also, clearly to diagnose this problem we need lots ot :camera: right?

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
T

That's the standard "turn your head and cough" variety. It's relatively common in infants and toddlers and not that big a deal. A bit more painful as an adult I'm told. The umbilical hernia was no fun either - I had an "outie" the size of a ping pong ball.

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
it's unlikely it's anything, but get it checked out just in case. afaik, a hernia is actually some part of your intestines "popping out" (and getting stuck) through the muscle wall in your torso/pelvis. it usually happens when you do something very stressful (weight lifting) that leaves the core muscles in a weakend state (such as lifting things with your back). this can occasionally be very painful but even worse, it's very dangerous if the circulation gets cut off to that part of the intestines, so it's not worth tinkering with.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
T

I had a hernia in a single nut when I was younger (6-7) also. It wasn't deadly painful, but I had the feeling that one of my massive balls was being sucked into my body. I'd have to lay in a certain position to make it go away.

MrMaster

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2001
www.pc-prime.com
This is what I have had for 8 months now:

A sports hernia, also known as athletic pubalgia, is a tear in the muscles of the lower abdomen. It causes pain in the lower abdomen or groin.

It sucks. Started in march but didn't take extended time off till august(all month)..I was good for 1 day of basketball. The next week I reinjured it.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
I had a hernia, and currently have one two. The first one I was just playing kickball all of the sudden and I suddenly got a painful feeling. My intensine fell through an unhealed muscle wall and made it way to my scrotum. Luckily it didnt't make it that far, and the only thing that made me feel sick after that was anethesia. The type of hernia I got was an inguanal (sp?) hernia. It's basically where the intensine falls through a hole where your muscle is suppose to be. Whenever men have their balls drop, sometimes the muscle wall doesn't repair itself.

My current hernia doesn't hurt, but it just feels / looks weird. It usually goes back to where it belongs when I lay down. But if I start to move, run, etc, it will "fall back down". When I had surgery, I was walking the next day. It didn't hurt at all, the anethesia "hurt" more for me.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: MrMaster
This is what I have had for 8 months now:

A sports hernia, also known as athletic pubalgia, is a tear in the muscles of the lower abdomen. It causes pain in the lower abdomen or groin.

It sucks. Started in march but didn't take extended time off till august(all month)..I was good for 1 day of basketball. The next week I reinjured it.

Yup, i get a sports hernia when I do extended ab workouts(more than 180* down with weights) after the second one, i stopped doing ab workouts.

JayHu

Mar 19, 2001
I have a herniated disc at L5/S1. Compression of the sciatic nerve root. Very pleasant. Had it since January. Makes it hard to compete/train sometimes. Awaiting surgery.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I was working on a walk-in freezer once, and was helping carry down a very heavy compressor from the top. We had two ladders set up and I was on one, while another guy was on the other one, each of us with an end of the compressor, which caused my upper body to be stretched tightly to one side. We got the compressor down safely, but the second it touched the ground and I was able to relax my muscles, I experienced multiple sharp shooting pains from the bottom of my waist towards my back on the side away from the side the weight of the compressor was on. I writhed on the ground for several minutes, and thought for sure I had given myself a hernia. I got checked out by my doctor, and basically all I suffered from was a pulled/strained muscle. After a couple of weeks of light duty, I was cleared to go back to work and have been fine since(abdominally anyways).

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
:moon:

at least they don't have to cut you wide open anymore, recovery is usually only a couple weeks these days, since they just make a small incision

good luck!

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Can anyone give me a rough idea of the costs associated with the surgery? My appointment to see the surgeon isnt until next week, and I need to get an idea of what I am dealing with regarding out of pocket expense.