Have any bills been proposed in the last 6 years to promote alternative fuels?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
A bold claim was made in another thread that it is not Bush or the Republicans in control of Congress, but the fault of the democrats that bills for fuel alternatives have not gone through. My question is: What bills are he talking about? Could someone list any bills that would promote the use of alternative fuel? I.E. electric/ethanol, etc cars.. Along with the bills, if the vote count could be listed, that would be great!

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
here is a start... from April '06:
Republicans proposed an amendment Thursday that would give the Transportation Department authority to issue fuel efficiency standards for passenger vehicles, expand tax incentives for the use of hybrid vehicles and push for more research into alternative fuels and expansion of existing oil refineries.

It would also provide most American taxpayers with a $100 rebate check to offset the pain of higher pump prices for gasoline. (Full story)

However, the GOP energy package might face tough sledding because it also includes a proposal to open part of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) in Alaska to oil exploration, which most Democrats and some moderate Republicans oppose.

Under Senate rules, either the GOP amendment or the Democratic alternative would probably need 60 votes to pass, which is considered unlikely. However, the amendments would give senators a chance to cast votes on measures designed to help constituents being hit by high gas prices.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
We have no real alternative energy plans----but given the political hot air spouted over the years---if we could capture that political hot air energy---we could power the USA for centuries.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
That bill was ridiculed at the time as an election year buy off of the voters. It had little support and was mocked by both sides of the isle. Nice try, sometimes google can hurt your cause when your grasping at straws..

"Here is $100, vote republican (and let us drill in ANWR)"

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Wasn't there a tax passed to tax larger vehicles more (SUVs).
I know Canada has a hybrid car tax credit, does the US have the same?

I believe most incentives and promotions are done at the state level.

bobdelt

May 26, 2006
yes there is a hybrid tax credit, i know its at most state levels, and i think even federal.

I find it funny that the liberals complain the most about oil consumption, but are often times the roadblock to alternative energy sources as well. Its like we should all be hippies, which isnt a bad idea if the drugs were legal.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Stunt
Wasn't there a tax passed to tax larger vehicles more (SUVs).
I know Canada has a hybrid car tax credit, does the US have the same?

I believe most incentives and promotions are done at the state level.

There is a gas guzzler tax if the vehicle gets low enough, but I don't know the specifics. As for the hybrids, there's a federal credit that varies by car, but the overall credits available are limited (basically some BS about not wanting Toyota and Honda to dominate -- even though the domestic hybrids, for the most part -- suck).

There are also numerous state incentives, but again, those vary. Some states offer tax exemption for hybrids, for instance.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: CPA
Here

And Here

Energy Policy Act of 2005 Scroll down to Title II for an outline of the alternative fuels this covers and Title VIII regarding Hydrogen and Fuel Cell program.

Corporate Welfare Act of 2005 is a more fitting name. It also helped cause the spike in gas prices for 2006. The bill was a pile of crap when it was first drafted and remained one once it finally passed.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I think we can safely blame both sides for this.
Haven't seen any thing happen under Bush.
And Clinton made this promise when running for office. "We'll seek to raise the average goal for automakers to 45 miles per gallon." - Philadelphia, April 22, 1992"

Not sure what it will take to make our government take action on a fuel plan and alternative fuels etc.

Maybe we need some compromise bill. Allow drilling in ANWAR and the Gulf, raise the MPG rules and invest money in alternative fuels.

Of course for many people "promoting" alternative fuels will be turned into "corporate welfare" unless we only invest in college research programs.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
And Clinton made this promise when running for office. "We'll seek to raise the average goal for automakers to 45 miles per gallon." - Philadelphia, April 22, 1992"

Not sure what it will take to make our government take action on a fuel plan and alternative fuels etc.

Maybe we need some compromise bill. Allow drilling in ANWAR and the Gulf, raise the MPG rules and invest money in alternative fuels.

Of course for many people "promoting" alternative fuels will be turned into "corporate welfare" unless we only invest in college research programs.

It already has :(

Sadly, the only thing, it seems, that gets people to change their habits is their wallet.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

the problem is that anything that contains the acronym "ANWR" gets shot down automagically by the left... they wont compromise an INCH in that regard, no matter how many studies show that our drilling wont effect the carribou at all.

but yes, we most certainly do need a comprehensive energy strat that encompasses "drilling in ANWAR and the Gulf, raise the MPG rules and invest money in alternative fuels." that would be GREAT!

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
The energy bill that pass last year had a little pork for everyone. Hybrid car rebates, wind energy subsidy, nuclear subsidy, ethenal subsidy,...

It had a little bit for everyone.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison
The energy bill that pass last year had a little pork for everyone. Hybrid car rebates, wind energy subsidy, nuclear subsidy, ethenal subsidy,...

It had a little bit for everyone.

15+ billion is hardly little.

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
The republicans are good at bringing up a bill but sticking on some pork that makes it impossible for a normal human to support. Like the min wage increase while giving people like Paris Hilton a HUGE tax break.

Bush finally stated we were addicted to oil. But like any addition and recovery, its a 12 step process. Bush has went thru step one. There are 11 more steps he must follow if they are serious.

In this case of alternate fuels, its the president that must take the lead and a very public lead in pushing the issue. he has done nothing since his little speech on addition. In the mean time, auto makers fall far behind Japan and continue to lay off thousands of American workers.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
BTW the energy industry out lobbies the environmentalist 10 to 1, it's the American people's opinion about ANWR that keep killing it. If the voter were for it, who exactly could keep killing it, the minority party? Poor republicans and oil companies, they are such victims. What a crock palehorse, this is David and Goliath and the GOP is no David.

straightalker

Dec 21, 2005
Our controllers (central bankers, black nobility etc) are considering running the following scam...

PEAK OIL and it's accompanying scam that it's both coming AND with no rescue in sight to save us. They try to make us believe the following gargantuan mega-lie. That building up a power infrastructure based upon alternative energy sources in time to avert an apocalyptical global disaster is impossible.

PROBLEM=REACTION=SOLUTION

They create the problem(energy starvation).

To create the reaction. (food starvation/genocide)

To offer the solution. (their form of global government and control of all resources)

The reality is of course that the entire Earth and the Universe is super charged with energy. Study Nicolai Tesla and his discoveries and how JP Morgan forced them into suppression. Many other excellent proofs exists in the past and present as well.

True. We should see all sorts of Bills in Congress about alternative energy. We should see a revolution in the sciences related to energy creation and utilization. But we are and have been for decaders governed by Big Oil and their shills.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: bobdelt
yes there is a hybrid tax credit, i know its at most state levels, and i think even federal.

I find it funny that the liberals complain the most about oil consumption, but are often times the roadblock to alternative energy sources as well. Its like we should all be hippies, which isnt a bad idea if the drugs were legal.

At the federal level there is a more significant farm equipment tax credit for vehicles over 3 tons, which is why the SUVs have been getting bigger.