Have Americans really become this docile?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Probably true, but like Charles it does rub me the wrong way. Although if I ever get one I'll probably fill it out. Why should the government know less about me than Google?

Oh yeah, because Google can't put me in jail or take my home.

Actually google can't put you in jail or take your home any more than the government can. Each, if they wanted to could via different means but most of the time both would have to respect the law and the process.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
no they won't. they won't send shit over where i live if there is a disabled person.

IF the school has disabled they can contact whoever and ask.

hospital? LOL not around here. closest is 14 miles.

and why is this? do you think it's a symptom of government-accrued knowledge of your area, a cause...or simply a need-based situation determined by demographics?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I'm not quite sure where the sudden outrage? concern? is coming from. The government has been asking for, getting, compiling and using this information for more than 70 years. There has been a long form for the census since 1940 and about 1 in 6 households got it. Here is the one from 2000. Only in 2010 did the census bureau go to an all short form format with the American Community Survey collecting the same info that used to be generated by the long form.

I don't know if response to the American Community Survey is mandated by law, but response to the long census form was. It's pretty much one of those laws without teeth, though.