Have a sore throat

sundev

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
I have a sore throat, and I've had it since about Monday or Tuesday (can't remember exactly). I don't think I've ever had one that lasted for more than a day or two, and everything I look up online says to go to your doctor if symptoms persist for "more than a few days".

It's not especially painful, just feels like a normal sore throat that's lasting longer than normal. I have no other symptoms, e.g. no fever, aches, pains, etc.

My question is, what is "a few days", and more specifically when would you go to the doctor?

Hooray for asking ATOT for medical advice ;)

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I've had them last a week or more. Unless you have strep throat (and you would be in horrible pain), just let your body heal.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Probably just allergies. There are times during the year that I get a sore throat and a runny nose. Sometimes it gets bad enough that I think it could be strep but usually by the next day when I'd be calling the doctor it's already feeling better so I don't bother. I'm sure if it was strep it wouldn't just go away on it's own. Hence my deduction that it must be allergies. Anyway if you have it for more than 3 or 4 days and it's really hurting bad, it's time to call the doc cuz you need some antobiotics.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Yea right now I can;t speak, ears are clogged up, light fever, my throat is so sore I can;t eat/drink without pain, and I have some bumps on the back of my tounge. I thought it may be streep but streep does not cause all my symptons and also makes the back of your throat real red, like ground up beef red.

I am taking day-quil and ibuprofen. But I still go to work. I just hope no one needs my help today. I am really tired.

Mar 11, 2004
Have you been eating or drinking anything differently lately, or maybe in different quantities than normal? If I drink quite a bit of pop after not drinking a lot or if I go cold turkey on it, I'll get a sore throat in the morning (and randomly throughout the day) for a few days.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Yea right now I can;t speak, ears are clogged up, light fever, my throat is so sore I can;t eat/drink without pain, and I have some bumps on the back of my tounge. I thought it may be streep but streep does not cause all my symptons and also makes the back of your throat real red, like ground up beef red.

I am taking day-quil and ibuprofen. But I still go to work. I just hope no one needs my help today. I am really tired.

Might be herpes, but, according to Chuck Palahniuk there is only one way to get it at the back of your throat

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: sundevb
I have a sore throat, and I've had it since about Monday or Tuesday (can't remember exactly). I don't think I've ever had one that lasted for more than a day or two, and everything I look up online says to go to your doctor if symptoms persist for "more than a few days".

It's not especially painful, just feels like a normal sore throat that's lasting longer than normal. I have no other symptoms, e.g. no fever, aches, pains, etc.

My question is, what is "a few days", and more specifically when would you go to the doctor?

Hooray for asking ATOT for medical advice ;)

You should've asked him not to be so rough.

Oct 4, 2004
Same here. I wouldn't call it pain but having a meal or a glass of water is a minor chore now. Having a little trouble swallowing...I am just going to blame the monsoon and ice cold drinks and see a doctor if it lasts 3 days or so.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
I had a really strange feeling sore throat for 4 days with no other symptoms. It ended up being tonsillitis. Took some antibiotics and all better!

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
If it's been going on a day or two, go see a doc and have him do a strep culture. If you let that go, you could end up with rheumatic fever which can do damage to your heart. You could also get blood infections or kidney damage. It's pretty serious.

If it is strep, antibiotics can start to knock it out in 24 hours, but they're usually prescribed for 7-10 days.

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Here is what I do, and it works about 75% of the time.

At night before going to bed, take a coffee cup full of water. Heat it up about a minute to get it pretty hot. Then put about 4-5 teaspoons full of table salt and stir. Keep putting in salt until you can't dissolve any more.

Let the solution cool so you won't burn your mouth.

Now gargle. Be warned, this concoction will taste sick and almost will make you vomit, but gargle it anyways. Gargle at least 1/2 of the liquid...better if you do the entire cup full. Do a deep gargle with your head looking up. Get it in there into your throat nice and good.

Once you are at the point you can go no more, don't rinse with water just yet. Wait about a minute, and then gargle with cool fresh water.

Then drink normally and go to sleep.

By the morning, your throat will be feeling that much better. This usually cures my sore throat in a day or so.

I believe the hypertonic salt solution disrupts the bacteria in your throat and helps to calm them down enough that your body can finish them off.

sundev

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
I haven't been eating/drinking anything out of the ordinary. I think I'll just wait it out over the weekend and take it from there.

pradeep, I've actually been doing that, just not at night (been doing it after breakfast).

Like I said it doesn't hurt that much, and I have no other symptoms, but if it keeps up for another "few days" I'll go see a doctor I guess.