Hate WASD, not happy with arrows. Any suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
That seems like a strange complaint to me. I actually use O, K, L, and ; because I'm left handed, but the offset of the O key is the same. Looking at how I press the buttons, it seems that I've trained my middle finger to move slightly diagonally between the O an L keys so I hit both of them dead center.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
gamepad-pro-1x6z-460.jpg

boren

Dec 13, 2009
There seem to be other possible solutions for the W and S misalignment.

1. Foot switch. This is another inexpensive option, but probably not ideal for FPS games.

2. Keyboards with buttons on the left side that can mimic the arrows and are perfectly aligned:

Logitech G510
DSC00854_cr_750.jpg

Corsair K90
k90_cr.jpg

Any recommendations?

BTW, to all the people who suggested a game-pad, I guess you didn't bother to read the thread. I don't have any issues with the mouse. In fact, I don't think there's a better way to aim. I have issues with regular keyboards being inconvenient to control movement. If you did read the thread, do explain how using a game-pad in one hand and a mouse in the other hand can solve this issue.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I bought a two pedal foot switch and I love it. One is for push-to-talk, the other is for squatting. Unfortunately the one I bought just sends keyboard presses, so if I push-to-talk in an application, I get a string of single quotes. I wish it sent something like mouse-button-22.

royo

Mar 8, 2012
Something like the Razer Nostromo will likely suit your requirements, or you could man up and deal with it.

boren

Dec 13, 2009
Corsair K90 is "disqualified" from the race. Its macro keys are not mechanical and are reportedly mushier than those of the Logitech G510. The K95 solves this with an all-mechanical layout, but is almost twice the price of the Logitech (where I live)...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
G13 takes time to get comfortable with...

i have one...

I would really LOVE to see the G13 tho in mechanical... i would swap it out to that without batting an eye.

boren

Dec 13, 2009
My fingers all sit in the middle of W A and D :confused:

Doesn't your middle finger press against your ring finger in this position? Now, try to move your middle finger a bit to the right, so that it's centered between the ring and your index fingers... wouldn't you prefer this?

boren

Dec 13, 2009
I have used this in the past, worked quite well . Cost is around $40 US.

http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-keyboards/gamepad.php

G13 takes time to get comfortable with...

i have one...

I would really LOVE to see the G13 tho in mechanical... i would swap it out to that without batting an eye.

Comparisons on the web (such as this) make me feel that the G13 would be a great choice. The Snipa may be good too, but reviews are more mixed.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
I just sit on the home row keys and use my ring finger for the W. When I started playing games (on someone else's computer) no one told me that they did it otherwise, so that's how it seemed natural. Plus it leaves my index finger free to hit other keys.

Probably doesn't help the OP at all though. I'd suggest looking at some alternate keyboard things that might have a layout better for you. I remember Wolf King fitting that layout.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
Doesn't your middle finger press against your ring finger in this position? Now, try to move your middle finger a bit to the right, so that it's centered between the ring and your index fingers... wouldn't you prefer this?

I think I have an odd finger style then. . . kind of curled over to the left claw-like. I claw-grip my mouse too so not surprised.

boren

Dec 13, 2009
I've decided to get the Logitech G13. This also means that I need to replace my keyboard to a tenkeyless one, as I don't have enough room on my desk. I opened a separate thread for this discussion here.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Started out with arrow keys, still use them. Use num pad and enter, shift etc. Rt MB fire, left MB spell casting, re load or whatever is second most used action. Also use middle MB, and side button(mainly for jump). Have not used macros much...yet. Just my personal preference, I got used to it and is now intuitive.

Wife of Runz

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
VHJK

This way you have four fingers dedicated to moving in four directions, as opposed to three fingers in WASD. Thumb hits both RALT and SPACE, lots of surrounding buttons for other functions. Takes awhile to adapt to it though.

boren

Dec 13, 2009
VHJK is a very interesting suggestion. First time I see it, and it does make sense. I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks!

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Just an added thought. Runz uses Nostromo and loves it. I could never get used to it.

The Wife

I love my Nostromo, but users should be warned that the driver support sucks for anything newer than Win XP. You can make it work but it requires a very specific sequence if your PC ever goes into sleep mode. That is for the N52 version, so perhaps they fixed things with whatever the current model is.

It does work great under Linux too if that is a concern for anyone.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
BTW, to all the people who suggested a game-pad, I guess you didn't bother to read the thread. I don't have any issues with the mouse. In fact, I don't think there's a better way to aim. I have issues with regular keyboards being inconvenient to control movement. If you did read the thread, do explain how using a game-pad in one hand and a mouse in the other hand can solve this issue.

are you talking about a controller? or a gamepad? because i suggested a belkin gamepad, which is essentially like the notromo gamepad you linked in your OP.

my set up is i have a belkin gamepad on the left, razr multi-key mouse on the right, logitech g15 keyboard in the middle.

for FPS games i use the mouse for shooting,aiming and the keys on the side for weapon swap and reload. I use the belkin gamepad for movement, crouch, jump, etc etc. the extra keys are for things like open map, extra ability, open inventory etc. (note, i do not use my keyboard at all.)

for mmorpg type games where you have a lot of abilities, i use the mouse for movement, extra keys on it are for alt, shift and ctrl. then i use the gkeys on my keyboard for all my different abilites. with 18 keys, plus the alt shift and ctrl buttons on the mouse, i get 54 different abilities/items etc i can have quick access to. (i do not use my gamepad at all.)

i tried using a controller for a bit, but it sucked. so i dont use one when playing pc games.

boren

Dec 13, 2009
are you talking about a controller? or a gamepad? because i suggested a belkin gamepad, which is essentially like the notromo gamepad you linked in your OP.

I was talking about suggestions like the second post in this page.

my set up is i have a belkin gamepad on the left, razr multi-key mouse on the right, logitech g15 keyboard in the middle.
The Belkin/Nostromo are more like what I'm looking for, but reviews from users with large hands are not very positive. That's why the G13 seems more suitable for me.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I love my Nostromo, but users should be warned that the driver support sucks for anything newer than Win XP. You can make it work but it requires a very specific sequence if your PC ever goes into sleep mode. That is for the N52 version, so perhaps they fixed things with whatever the current model is.

It does work great under Linux too if that is a concern for anyone.

Wait, I'm using the same Belkin Nostromo N52 and haven't had any problems gaming with it on Windows Vista and 7. I just installed whatever latest driver they still have on Belkin's website, which I think is written for Vista 64-bit (and yes, it's still there after all these years!).

Having said that, the 'Nostromo' that is mentioned in the OP is the Razer Nostromo (Razer bought the license from Belkin) which came out in 2011. While the shape is pretty similar, it's at least 5 years newer than the N52 and is a valid, comparable option to the Logitech G13. I have a couple of friends who use this version and it definitely doesn't have driver problem.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
The Belkin/Nostromo are more like what I'm looking for, but reviews from users with large hands are not very positive. That's why the G13 seems more suitable for me.

I agree, the G13 keys are more spread out so it's more suitable for people with larger hands. The Nostromo keys are setup somewhat tight, I can see how it can get uncomfortable for people with large hands/long fingers. The Nostromo's base is somewhat adjustable (at least the N52's is), but it won't really help much.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Wait, I'm using the same Belkin Nostromo N52 and haven't had any problems gaming with it on Windows Vista and 7. I just installed whatever latest driver they still have on Belkin's website, which I think is written for Vista 64-bit (and yes, it's still there after all these years!).

Having said that, the 'Nostromo' that is mentioned in the OP is the Razer Nostromo (Razer bought the license from Belkin) which came out in 2011. While the shape is pretty similar, it's at least 5 years newer than the N52 and is a valid, comparable option to the Logitech G13. I have a couple of friends who use this version and it definitely doesn't have driver problem.

Now you have me curious.

With my N52, using the same driver you are, if my computer goes into sleep mode and I open the Nostromo software with the controller plugged in it will always crash and exit. If I then open the software again it will keep crashing over and over unless I do the following:

- Unplug the N52
- Open the Nostromo software
- Plug the N52 in

This works every time. Any other sequence results in an endless loop of the software bombing out. You don't see this same problem? I have had this same issue with my last three PC builds.