Hate my Logitech mouse

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Sortly after I bought this MX700 mouse, I noticed I couldn't go more than a couple days without having to charge it back up. Called them to see if there was an easy fix, they said to RMA it. So, I don't. I figure I'd be without the mouse for weeks so I'd try to live with it. So now six months later, I've had enough, I call Logitech for an RMA, they tell me its within specs so, basically "too bad" they won't replace it.

I've tried replacing the batteries, and charging the batteries in another charger with the exact same result. Anyone else having this same issue? When I purchased this mouse, the first one I got was dead, the second's cursor keep jumping all over the place. I'm not impressed.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
i love my mx700. its the best mouse ive ever had. never a problem. RMA it. thats the best thing you can do. its defective.

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Like I just said, they won't take it back since according to them, its within spec. I figured it would be a quick call (long distance too!) but they dragged it out by asking name, address, phone, etc then asking what the problem was. I expected they'd just say the new mouse was on its way, but no. Next mouse is from Microsoft.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: TJones2
Like I just said, they won't take it back since according to them, its within spec. I figured it would be a quick call (long distance too!) but they dragged it out by asking name, address, phone, etc then asking what the problem was. I expected they'd just say the new mouse was on its way, but no. Next mouse is from Microsoft.

Weird. I had a problem w/ my mxduo (mx 700 + kb) keyboard losing connection. I called up, went through the script (I HAD already tried everything), and they sent me an lx desktop (closest thing they still manufacture. I liked the old KB's ergonomics better, but I can't complain about the service.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
heres what you do: before you go to sleep every night, put it on the charger.

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Originally posted by: theman

That's basically what they told me to do, easier said then done. And besides, their product literature said it holds a charge for a week, mine certainly doesn't, so how is that within spec? Anyway, I've decided to fire off a letter to Logitech and see it someone higher up will resolve this.

Jun 4, 2005
Letters have a really good impact on people. Chances are, if you're polite and not threatening to buy elsewhere, they'll replace your mouse. They value their customers and don't want you to leave.

So, be as polite and explanatory as possible. Tell them exactly what you did with the mouse before it started to lose it's charge. Describe the things you've tried in full detail. Once again, be nice. If they get a "bitchy tone" from you, they'll just throw your letter away.

The pen is mightier than the sword. (hah)

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
I've already sent it. I wasn't rude, but I did say that my next mouse would likely be a Microsoft one if this couldnt' be resolved.

Jun 4, 2005
Saying you're going to microsoft will either help you a lot or seriously screw you.

On one hand, they'll want to make competition with them. On the other, they'll probably say "Go for it."

=/ Could go either way.
Good luck.

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Originally posted by: JSLIM
seems like a hassle having a cordless mouse.

Even with having to recharge it every two days, its less of a hassle then dealing with a cord.

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Originally posted by: LoKe
Saying you're going to microsoft will either help you a lot or seriously screw you.

On one hand, they'll want to make competition with them. On the other, they'll probably say "Go for it."

=/ Could go either way.
Good luck.

Well, I didn't pay much for it (the Duo was about $40cdn on sale) so I'm not really out much. I just had to get it off my chest while I sit here and what that red light flash.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
cordless freaking sucks, god... stuff like that would drive me nuts... with a cord you don't have to worry about battery life!!!

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001

That's basically what they told me to do, easier said then done. And besides, their product literature said it holds a charge for a week, mine certainly doesn't, so how is that within spec? Anyway, I've decided to fire off a letter to Logitech and see it someone higher up will resolve this.

Are you serious? Good god man, it's not like there are alligators or treacherous pits between you and your charger.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: CraigRT
cordless freaking sucks, god... stuff like that would drive me nuts... with a cord you don't have to worry about battery life!!!

Now if only my Microsoft Intellimouse wouldn't double click sometimes when I press the left button... oh wait, it's good in Counterstrike ;)

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: CraigRT

i briefly had an mx700, battery life sucked. mx1000 is much much better

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
Originally posted by: AsianriceX

Are you serious? Good god man, it's not like there are alligators or treacherous pits between you and your charger.

Its getting in the habit of doing that. And besides, the base isn't in a convient location (you'll tell me I should put it in one, right?). Anyway, I'm getting tired of computer junk that doesn't work the way the manufacturers claim, which is most of the time.

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
i cant remember the last time i charged my mx700. when the lite starts flashing, it can work for a couple days.

batmanuel

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
Have you tried getting some NiMH batteries with a higher capacity. I've seen the available in capacities up to 2500mAh lately for pretty cheap. I got a pretty decent bump in battery life when I replaced the 1800mAh no-name brand NiMH batteries that came with my MX Duo with some 2100mAh Energizers.

Also, remember that when Logitech came up with the figure of a week between recharges they had to come up with a number based on how many hours the user was working on the computer and how much they were moving the mouse around when they were at the PC. These numbers can very widely from person to person. At one extreme you have the normal user who maybe spends at most two hours a day at their PC and spend a lot of time reading articles and e-mail, sporadically using the mouse. This pattern of usage uses a lot less power than the usage pattern of a CS addict who spends 3-4 hours a day playing games that require constantly moving the mouse. Manufacturers do tend to overstate the capabilities of their products quite often, but before you get too annoyed at Logitech you might want to keep in mind where you fall in the usage bell curve. YMMV.

TJones2

Oct 27, 2004
theman: the red flashing light drives me nuts. Guess I should invest in some electrical tape and cover it up.

batmanuel: I've tried 2100s and 2400s Energizers, same result. I don't play games much, but I am in the habit of moving my mouse around a lot, even when I'm not doing anything in particular. Could be me, but they didn't say so on the phone.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Oh well, theres always some people that dont appreciate one of the best cordless mice on the market.

Ive never had any trouble with my MX700 apart from it took me a while to get used to recharging it and the cradle doesnt always like to recharge the mouse. It takes a little bit of adjusting these days.

Jun 12, 2005
It's worth it to put it in the charger every night (though I've found I can go 4 days + without a charge) to not have to deal with cords. Seriously, it takes 2 seconds. Pick it up, place in charger, done. It's worth it - to me anyway. :)

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
i like using cordless mice because i can go 10 feet away from the comp, and use the mouse on the armrest of my chair or my leg. or i can stand up and use the top of my CRT as a mousepad. I HATE CORDS SO MUCH! they get tangled everywhere, they get in tthe way, and they are annoying. id take a cordless mouse even if i had to charge it every 4 hours.