Haswell vs. Ivy Bridge Overclocking

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How well do you think Haswell desktop will overclock compared to Ivy Bridge desktop?

• Greater than 500 Mhz faster

• 300 to 500 Mhz faster

• 100 to 300 Mhz faster

• Haswell will overclock roughly the same as Ivy Bridge

• 100 to 300 Mhz slower

• 300 to 500 Mhz slower

• Greater than 500 Mhz slower

Results are only viewable after voting.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
Guys Ive said this a ton of times. A Ivy Bridge E 6 to 12 core chips coming Q3 2013

it will spank a Haswell, especially because the first haswell chips are budget chips not enthusiast. For enthusiast you have to wait until 2014 for desktop high performance CPU and what not. gl

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Given that the development resources for Haswell were devoted to prioritizing performance scaling at the low-end of power and clockspeed, I very much doubt we are going to see much added clockspeed headroom over that of what we already see with IB.

Yep, that is definitely something to consider. (especially in light of Haswell ULT having a lower TDP despite voltage regs on package and a larger iGPU)

isamu99

Feb 9, 2013
I would really like to get a new processor and I'm hoping Haswell will easily overclock to 5.0Ghz on any of the Corsair watercooling systems. Do you think it'll be likely?

bigsnyder

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2004
Don't care how well it overclocks as long as it is a nice jump in CPU performance vs everything else, like how core2 crushed everything when it came out. If it is only 10-15% might as well get an Ivy setup.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Welcome to the forums isamu99 :thumbsup:
I would really like to get a new processor and I'm hoping Haswell will easily overclock to 5.0Ghz on any of the Corsair watercooling systems. Do you think it'll be likely?

Easily? Not likely. Even with a delidded Ivy Bridge you are looking at pushing cpu-murdering voltages at the chip to get to 5GHz with an H100.

Haswell will use differently optimized finfets, but if you look at where Intel is wanting to optimize Haswell (i.e. low power applications) we can safely assume these new finfets are more geared towards lowering power usage at low clockspeeds more than raising clockspeed.

LagunaX

Jan 7, 2010
Haswell will have the same 3D structure so again the heat generated in such a small space with perhaps a sloppy thermal paste again like Ivy makes me doubt great overclocks. But if it is 10-15% more efficient, then achieving the same overclock would not be so bad...

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
I'm sure Intel has learned a thing or two about the 3D transistors since IB

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm sure Intel has learned a thing or two about the 3D transistors since IB

Of course they have, but not in a way that impacts 22nm. The learning that has gone on since IB debuted has all been towards 14nm and 10nm. This is all on a 4 yr timeline, learn something new last year and it won't make an impact for 3yrs yet.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
Don't care how well it overclocks as long as it is a nice jump in CPU performance vs everything else, like how core2 crushed everything when it came out.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture/6

Conroe was a very wide machine. It brought us the first 4-wide front end of any x86 micro-architecture, meaning it could fetch and decode up to 4 instructions in parallel. We've seen improvements to the front end since Conroe, but the overall machine width hasn't changed - even with Haswell.

fast and narrow vs. slower and wide?

In simple terms I would think at some point widening/beefing up/enhancing Core would actually be more efficient that trying to further increase clockspeed?

05.jpg

But at what point will Intel feel the need to do this?

The power wall doesn't appear to be holding them back. (re: Mainstream quad core + iGPU are well below 130 watts.) Maybe storage speeds (or something else) needs to catch up first?

Or maybe Intel never makes another huge jump in IPC? And just keeps the generational gains very modest even at 5nm?

Last edited:

isamu99

Feb 9, 2013
Welcome to the forums isamu99 :thumbsup:

Easily? Not likely. Even with a delidded Ivy Bridge you are looking at pushing cpu-murdering voltages at the chip to get to 5GHz with an H100.

Haswell will use differently optimized finfets, but if you look at where Intel is wanting to optimize Haswell (i.e. low power applications) we can safely assume these new finfets are more geared towards lowering power usage at low clockspeeds more than raising clockspeed.

I see. Thanks for the info and the warm welcome Idontcare. I'll keep that in mind :)