Haswell Refresh to launch in May, Broadwell in Q3 - how does that make sense?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
So 22nm's overclocking issues had nothing, if anything do with heat density. If it becomes an issue on 14nm, fine, but there's no real precedent.
What about Dennard scaling, shoudn't W/mm² be the same? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennard_scaling

Dennard scaling seems to be death from what I read, but I remember some slides from Intel that predicted improvements: Intel’s 14nm milkshake: It’s better than yours

14nm-11.png

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
There have been several technologies -- strained silicon, HKMG, FinFETs -- that have brought that scaling trend back.

But they haven't brought back the frequency scaling. If a new node gives you 2 times less area, but power consumption only drops by ~1.3x, than you're not going to get the same W/mm².

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
But they haven't brought back the frequency scaling. If a new node gives you 2 times less area, but power consumption only drops by ~1.3x, than you're not going to get the same W/mm².
Not to the extent it was before, but it is improving.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Has anyone seen the roadmaps? Are there going to be better than 4c/8t anytime soon? :( Heck, if you can have 8 threads on the 1155/1150 platforms, a full 8 cores is surely possible!

tolis626

Aug 25, 2013
Has anyone seen the roadmaps? Are there going to be better than 4c/8t anytime soon? :( Heck, if you can have 8 threads on the 1155/1150 platforms, a full 8 cores is surely possible!

Possible?Sure,it is possible and has been for quite a while.It just doesn't make sense from either a cost or a performance perspective.Even now,it the beginning of 2014 it isn't easy to fully utilize 4 threads,let alone 8.Asking for more is just wanting more at this point,not needing more.Heck,most people barely use 2 threads in dual core CPUs.

Don't get me wrong,I'm all for more performance in one way or another.If Haswell Refresh brought a 8c/16t 4.2GHz chip,IO would buy it one way or another.It's just that there's no point for Intel to make such a move.It will probably make sense sometime in the future,sure,but not now.Until then,patience...