Haswell @ 10W TDP - will it enable fanless ultrabooks?

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
So Haswell will be available in a 10W TDP version. Will that enable fanless ultrabooks?

What do you think?

Mar 6, 2012
I would doubt it. I had a laptop with a SU2700 which is rated at 10W TDP. Granted, this was a toshiba satellitte with plastic case, but it most definitely needed a fan running to keep from overheating.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
I would doubt it. I had a laptop with a SU2700 which is rated at 10W TDP. Granted, this was a toshiba satellitte with plastic case, but it most definitely needed a fan running to keep from overheating.

Some thoughts:

* Did that laptop have an SSD or HDD? The latter produces more heat.
* Does the SU2700 have an IGP? If not, it would require an external GFX chip adding to the total system TDP. But for Haswell the IGP is included in the 10W TDP.
* The chipset used for Haswell will have lower TDP.
* There is now DDR3L memory available which has lower power consumption.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2012
I have no doubt that it'd run cooler than my old laptop, but I still doubt it will be fanless, especially when you consider they have to build the laptop to be used in much warmer countries as well (I'm in Norway.
HDD and some intel gma solution btw.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
5W is about the limit for air cooling given enough circulation. A laptop is normally very constrained so even once you get down to possible air cooling territory you will need access for air to naturally circulate a bit.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
5W is about the limit for air cooling given enough circulation. A laptop is normally very constrained so even once you get down to possible air cooling territory you will need access for air to naturally circulate a bit.

But what if you have a metal chassis (which is common for Ultrabooks), then that can act as a heat sink too?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
But what if you have a metal chassis (which is common for Ultrabooks), then that can act as a heat sink too?
At the risk of burning your lap? Bad design choice there. It could run fanless at the expense of a bigger heatsink which adds weight and size(thickness).

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Some thoughts:

* Did that laptop have an SSD or HDD? The latter produces more heat.
* Does the SU2700 have an IGP? If not, it would require an external GFX chip adding to the total system TDP. But for Haswell the IGP is included in the 10W TDP.
* The chipset used for Haswell will have lower TDP.
* There is now DDR3L memory available which has lower power consumption.

The SU2700 is Core 2-based, so it doesn't have an IGP. The GS45 chipset is rated at 12W TDP, plus the ICH9-M is 2.5W. So overall your SU2700 platform is rated at 24.5W TDP. No wonder it needs a fan... :D

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
You'll definitely need a fan in any laptop processor above a 5W TDP.

Most of your tablet SOCs come in at around 2.5W, and rarely reach that peak.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
Would probably need 2-4W processors and a chassis capable of high thermal conductivity. I'd suspect you'd still need some fins or other clever area-enhancing exterior features to cover a wide-range of environmental temperatures.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
...... we sure we cant get one of the brilliant engineers to fit a megahelm in that tablet?

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
I've always wanted to see the chassis of a laptop used as a good heatsink. Fins on the sides and bottom and pipes going in two or four directions along the chassis. Considering we cool well over 30W fanless in desktops, sometimes more than 60, this should be feasible.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I've always wanted to see the chassis of a laptop used as a good heatsink. Fins on the sides and bottom and pipes going in two or four directions along the chassis. Considering we cool well over 30W fanless in desktops, sometimes more than 60, this should be feasible.

A laptop needs to be touched....

And a laptop is often placed on surfaces that aren't good for heat dissipation. Like a lap or a carpet.

nforce4max

Oct 5, 2012
10w is to much to be fanless in a notebook design and thermal buildup will shorten life span very quickly as well being very uncomfortable experience for the user.