Has your computer got the BLAHS?

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Has your computer got the BLAHS? Is it spending too much time with screen savers? Is its idle loop doing all the work?

If you answered YES, then it is time to enroll your computer in the TeAm AnandTech Microtherapy Sessions developed by DR BOINC, the recognized expert on Computer Ennui.

In each session, DR BOINC provides the software your computer needs to help Science -- Medicine, Math, Astronomy, Weather, Chemistry, Biology and even Puzzles. You can even do more than one session at a time.

Soon, you will discover that your computer has attained a useful and productive purpose.

Possible side effects: You will find yourself getting up in the middle of the night or leaving work early to check on your computer's progress; You will spend extra time surfing stats sites to check the progress; On these sites you will spend time comparing your computer's progress to others; And finally, you will post n00b questions on the forum and get upset when someone calls you that, because you don't know what "n00b" means.

More serious sides effects: You will decide that your computer is not making the progress you expected and you will rescue computers from your friends, relatives, the office, and school and set up group-therapy sessions; Soon, you will begin surfing ebay and craig's list and visiting used-computer stores and swap-meets and rescuing those computers, too; You will set up group sessions for these computers in your den, the attic above the den, the two-car garage, a storage shed out back, and a self-storage unit; Of course, you won't have sessions going in all those places at once because that would be just too weird; You will collect statistics and show them to others so they can see the progress of their group sessions; You will join alpha and beta projects; You will join non-BOINC projects; You will snicker at the n00bs; And finally, you will join TeAm committees.

A rare, but fatal side effect: You will experience computer death caused by extreme over-clocking.

So, sign up now for the TeAm AnandTech Microtherapy Sessions and help eradicate Computer Ennui.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
LOL! :D

That's great Rudy, and so true! :Q

May I invite you to the next DC Anonymous meeting?
Hi, my name is Ray, and I'm a DC addict.......

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
haha this is great, I laughed a lot!

I've already experienced the "possible" an "more serious" side effects :D

Thanks for this great advertisement!

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
:laugh:

Another more or less rare, but fatal side effect is death of computer components because the therapy was just too much stress for them. Subject to eternal vacation are power supplies, case fans and harddrives.

:)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
lol ,though I'd like to think that no newbie would be called a n00b here :p

Another side effect

You'll see the xmas family get together as an opportunity to rescue more PCs ;)

mk

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2000
Originally posted by: JWMiddleton
This is absurd! I'd never get caught up in something as addictive as this! :Q

Here are a few pics of things I love to do:

Indoor fun 2
:shocked:

Is this an empty guestroom or does someone actually sleep next to all those computers?

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: mk

Indoor fun 2

Is this an empty guestroom or does someone actually sleep next to all those computers?

I use to that. 5 caseless pcs, & two area fans. I eventually got use to the sound. Almost like sleeping in the afternoon with midday traffic outside, & the window wide open. You learn to drown it out. Boy did it get hot though.

The things I do for you guys. :beer:;)

JWMiddleton

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: mk

Indoor fun 2

Yeah, that was my bed. Actually the noise was nice as it drowned out all other noises in the apartment. I really slept well. The apt. was a corporate apartment where I paid one price for a funished apt. with all utilities included. I was AMAZED that they didn't complain about the electric costs!

mk

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Coquito
I use to that. 5 caseless pcs, & two area fans. I eventually got use to the sound. Almost like sleeping in the afternoon with midday traffic outside, & the window wide open. You learn to drown it out. Boy did it get hot though.

The things I do for you guys. :beer:;)

Yeah, that was my bed. Actually the noise was nice as it drowned out all other noises in the apartment. I really slept well. The apt. was a corporate apartment where I paid one price for a funished apt. with all utilities included. I was AMAZED that they didn't complain about the electric costs!

:beer::p for your dedication, guys.

Guess it's matter of preference/sensitivity. Traffic noise is OK but for some reason computer noise isn't. Even after enduring a humming box next to my bed running 24/7 since 2001 I still haven't gotten used to it. The current incarnation is nearly inaudible but it still gets on my nerves.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Constant low level noise (PCs) doesn't bother me ,infact it also helps me to sleep by drowning out some of the eratic noise (traffic etc). ;)

Indoor fun 1

Indoor fun 2

Pillow stacking is quite the hobby these days ;)

lol @ leccy bill for apt!

The Borg

Apr 9, 2006
May I introduce all the members of the DC anonymous club:

See list of members above!!! :D

At least I don't feel out. The lengths we go to for science and a bit of fun. But I must say I don't know why you guys waste time and money on cases. I just stack them. You save money which can go to a faster processor or another machine... ;)

As to the noise thing, yes you get used to it, until the power goes off. I had that during the week and it was eary walking around and not noise. You can hear youself walk and breath. However the panic wa snot far away - need to crunch, need to crunch!!!