Has this computer got the right kvalifikations for my use?

cHedYIR

Jun 30, 2009
My father is looking for a new laptop, so he has asked me for some help but my knowledge on this matter is limited.

He's looking for a very powerful laptop and there's a price limitation at 25000 Danish kroner. He's going to be using it for his work in China where he runs his own architecture-business(primarily for drawing in autocad).

So he's basically asking for the best laptop on the market. He won't be getting a stationary as he needs to be able to carry it with him on business trips. There are no preferences when it comes to brands.

Any advice? :D I'm guessing quadcore and gtx 280 or something would be best?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this message the last time. Now i have found what seems to be a good enough laptop with some solid hardware and in my mind great specs but since my knowledge on this matter is limited.

I would like to hear some of your opinions .. Everything you do is appreciated

Aleanware M17X

PROCESSOR Intel ® Core ? 2 Quad Q9100 (2.26 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 12 MB L2 cache)
Original Operating System Windows Vista ® Home Premium SP1 (64 Bit) - English
Graphics Card DUAL SLI ? 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
Peace of mind 1 year Premium Warranty Support Change
LCD 17 "widescreen display with UXGA (1920 x 1200) - more than HD (1200p)
MEMORY 4096 MB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 MHz [2 x 2048]
HARD DISK 160 GB hard drive (7200 rpm.) With free fall sensor
Optical drives Optical DVD + /-RW drive (reads and writes DVD / CD)
PRIMARILY BATTERY 9-cellet lithium-ion battery at 85 W / t

Kind regards

Ps. Here is the website i found it
http://configure.euro.dell.com...are-m17x&~lt=alienware

So the question is.. Should i buy this laptop and is it qualified - Thanks in advance

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
that is a gaming system. he does not need two gaming video cards. they will not help him in any way and they will kill his battery. he just needs a a quad core processor. find a laptop with a quad and integrated video and he'll be fine.

cHedYIR

Jun 30, 2009
Hmmm .. i dont suppose you have a suggestion to another computer i am able to purchase inside the EU ?

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Look at the Dell Precision line - those have Nvidia Quadro graphics cards which are actually designed for CAD work.

For example:

Dell Precision M6400
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9300 2.53Ghz (regular quad-core doesn't seem to be available)
4 GB DDR-3 RAM
512MB Nvidia Quadro FX2700M
320 GB Hard drive
(Danish) Windows Vista Business SP-1 (64-bit)

20,583 kroner

You can customize the amount of RAM, video card and OS, additional battery, etc. but you can still stay well under 25,000 kroner with rebates.

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
the precisions are far better. they're made for exactly this kind of work.