Discussion Has the Walking dead jumped the Zombie?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
After the Negan story line it seems to have really run out of gas....now they are fighting the Whispers or whatever the group calls itself. It must be still pulling in ratings since they are making a season 10.

Also what the hell happened from episode 15 to episode 16....I really hate time jumps.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
It did after the first episode, and then jumped so many others that it doesn't matter. I gave up on that for good (honestly regret having kept with it that long) after the season that ended with Negan, because I realized that held zero tension for me because I frankly wanted him to bash in the head of all the characters because I was done caring about them. Show was pretty much pointless, just slogging through more tedious melodrama shit for like 5 minutes of worthwhile action per episode and half of that was stupid contrived bullshit (like Rick Rage that magically saved them over and over only for him to spend most of the following season moping before doing it once again before they end up trapped in yet another situation because he mopes around for most of the season).

No clue on ratings, but I believe its a pretty cheap to produce show, and because fanboys/girls are morons and people are desperate to proclaim their geek cred by blindly following shit, so AMC will keep it going until it no longer makes them money and provides an easy way to fill time (so they can run marathons and save money having to pay for some movie rights to fill the time).

Reactions: OccamsToothbrush

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I had no idea it was still in production. Stopped watching several years back when there were more commercials than content.

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
FWIW, the comic is done as of a couple months ago. Even he admitted he basically ran out of ideas to slog through.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It jumped like 3-4 seasons ago imo. I pretty much quit watching. The negan story should have been the last villain, and should have lasted only 1 season. They need to just put closure on the show like where they find the cure, or something. They ran out of ideas and everything is just too repetitious now. It's not even about the zombies anymore but about running into different bad guys.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
I still hold the unpopular opinion that the walking dead should have been a 6 episode mini-series. It turned into a soap opera pretty quickly, As The World Turns... to zombies.

Reactions: shortylickens

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I stopped caring several seasons ago. Too much of the same sh*t, different day. They needed some world changes to make it interesting. Maybe something like they find out that the infection isn't nearly as widspread as they thought, and they have been traveling through an exclusion zone this whole time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't know who Negan is.

I stopped watching around the time they ended that dude that decapitated the old man when they were defending the prison. ....season 4, maybe?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
TWD started with so much promise: A zombie show that really gets in and explores the zombie apocalypse in depth the way the old Romero movies never did. The first season was really great, the standard "make your way to safety" story line propelled by fun characters, relatively logical decision making (by zombie movie standards), and an immersive world.

It was a really a slow decline into, as previously stated, melodrama since then without much direction or arc. I stopped watching after Neegan was introduced, it just felt like "The Governor, round 3". Basic supplies suddenly become an afterthought until they're needed to propel the plot, life saving riot gear is totally forgotten, people make out of character mistakes or decisions for the sake of drama, ugh... Clearly the writing team had no idea what they were doing next and really were just flying by the seat of their pants.

If I'm going to wishlist a bit, I would have liked to see the show follow a clear trajectory through the growth of a post apocalyptic civilization. Start with individuals, these individuals form groups, these groups form communities, these communities form societies. Zombies are ever present, but how culture and societal norms change now that the nature of death has changed could have been more fully explored.

I really think Rick/Carol should have filled the role of Neegan (both slowly becoming more ruthless, losing their "rules" to the stress of leadership, personal losses) vs Glen/Darryl who maintain (or gain) their humanity through the show. That should have been the crescendo of the human conflict.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Show was over after the CDC episode in season 1. Everyone's infected, no chance of a cure -- Cue 10 seasons of the same wandering survival crap over and over. Can't believe they still have 'Talking Dead'... like this show still has enough fans that are just soooooo into this story still that it warrants a secondary talk show? Get a life people.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
My gripe is that the writing is done real time with the production....even if it's a storyboard, the problem is that there aren't enough guidelines on what's going to happen. It makes me question who has time to care after a while when all the writers are doing is trying to keep people hooked.

I had the same gripe with "Lost"....ok...so they're on an island and they kept discovering more people and things...but I don't want to burn my evenings watching that crap or even binging on it when those are all based on suspense gimmicks and shock value. I wish they'd just make these into movies and stop trying to string people along for ratings. I boycott this format anymore.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Fear the walking dead was excellent last season. I need to catch up.

The walking dead lost me when they lost Rick.

Reactions: Luna1968

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm trying to figure out what the deal was with that last Whisperers focused episode.

Were they really trying to add depth to a bunch of one dimensional comic book villains? If so, it didn't work.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Damn it's still on? I stopped watching after season 4 I think. The governor was the worst villain I've ever seen in a show. The decision making from the characters was just so stupid.

I think that annoying ugly white girl was killed by the black chick at the very end of the last season I watched. I remember cheering out loud when that dumb bitch was killed. I think it was the black chick that shot her.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
I stopped watching after Negan, I tried to get back into it but its not holding my interest.

the last scene that i really remember is rick being taken away by a helicopter. whats the deal with that?

Feb 4, 2009
My gripe is that the writing is done real time with the production....even if it's a storyboard, the problem is that there aren't enough guidelines on what's going to happen. It makes me question who has time to care after a while when all the writers are doing is trying to keep people hooked.

I had the same gripe with "Lost"....ok...so they're on an island and they kept discovering more people and things...but I don't want to burn my evenings watching that crap or even binging on it when those are all based on suspense gimmicks and shock value. I wish they'd just make these into movies and stop trying to string people along for ratings. I boycott this format anymore.

Pretty much this, I tapped out 2 or 3 years ago. Just was watching less and less and paying less attention.
Decent show but there is only so much any show can do.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Damn it's still on? I stopped watching after season 4 I think. The governor was the worst villain I've ever seen in a show. The decision making from the characters was just so stupid.

I think that annoying ugly white girl was killed by the black chick at the very end of the last season I watched. I remember cheering out loud when that dumb bitch was killed. I think it was the black chick that shot her.
LOL, I'm not sure what happened to her but when you say "annoying ugly white girl" I thought of Andrea. God she was stupid as fuck and annoying:
andrea-walking-dead-meme.jpg

I'm still watching it but I don't know why, just out of habit I guess. I fucking hate the Whisperers, they're such a lame and STUPID villian. C'mon, people that wear dead people's skin/faces on their own faces? And then Michonne and them not wanting to fucking wipe them out? Oh no, killing is bad, and we don't want to get rid of these people that decapitated a bunch of our friends. Just idiotic.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
LOL, I'm not sure what happened to her but when you say "annoying ugly white girl" I thought of Andrea. God she was stupid as fuck and annoying:

I'm still watching it but I don't know why, just out of habit I guess. I fucking hate the Whisperers, they're such a lame and STUPID villian. C'mon, people that wear dead people's skin/faces on their own faces? And then Michonne and them not wanting to fucking wipe them out? Oh no, killing is bad, and we don't want to get rid of these people that decapitated a bunch of our friends. Just idiotic.

Hey now... they need to stretch out the "War with the Whispers" storyline for at least a few more episodes before they move onto the Commonwealth storyline. After that, I think that they're going to run out of content because the comic book is ending.

That's probably what the whole helicopter thing is about, and it's probably when we get to see Rick again. It would make for a good season finale, anyway.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
It did after the first episode, and then jumped so many others that it doesn't matter.

That's the right answer. It never really had any choice, the only way a show whose sole purpose is to shock can keep going is with bigger and bigger shocks. With something as silly as zombies that gets old really quickly. The thing that drove me away was the characters. The superhero and super villain thing that works in comic books doesn't translate well to a weekly series. Maybe the Governor and Negan play well as inanimate characters, but they're so over the top that you just can't accept them as real. And that's a problem when you can buy the premise of a zombie apocalypse easier than you can buy Negan being Negan.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I really liked the show up until the Negan "who gets the bat" season premiere. Apparently AMC received quite a few complaints about the scene being "too mean", so the show runners apologized for it, and IMO it hasn't been the same since. The final straw for me was when they basically killed off everyone, and basically did in-season reboot of show by focusing on new characters (which just aren't interesting to me).

My wife still watches it, and I will watch a bit here or there if I'm in the room, but I have just kind of mentally checked out with the entire series at this point.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Season 1? Good.
Season 2? Ummm they never left the farm and it went nowhere. Meh
Season 3? Ok let's give this another try.
Season 4? WTF am I still doing here?
Season 5? Never even tried it.

Can't believe it's still airing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
andrea-walking-dead-meme.jpg

That is exactly who I was talking about.

Reactions: clamum