Has the quality of Subway food dropped dramatically lately? Or is it just me?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I don't think i'm going to eat at Subway anymore.

Last night, I went to my local Subway and ordered my usual Dijon Horseradish Melt. I took it back to work and began to it eat it, when I realized that all I could taste was the sauce.

Being the curious person I am, I picked off some of the veggies and tasted them. The lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers all tasted like NOTHING. The only vegetable that tasted like anything were the onions, and they were ridiculously strong. (I could still taste them this morning. Also, the slices of meat seem to be getting slimmer and slimmer, and they got rid of my two favourite breads. (Asiago Cheese and Roasted Garlic)

Has anyone else noticed this trend or am I dreaming here?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
i had the same thing just an hour ago.... we still have the breads. as for the veggies... they've always tasted like nothing for me.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
/rant on - You guys need to find a place that makes *authentic* subs, hoagies, grinders - or, whatever you want to call them. I have a Subway and a Quiznos near me. However, I also have an authentic N.Y.-style pizza shop and also a place that makes great subs. When you have an authentic sub, the crap from Subway and Quiznos is too bready. Both places use just *airy* bread. /rant off.

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: wje
/rant on - You guys need to find a place that makes *authentic* subs, hoagies, grinders - or, whatever you want to call them. I have a Subway and a Quiznos near me. However, I also have an authentic N.Y.-style pizza shop and also a place that makes great subs. When you have an authentic sub, the crap from Subway and Quiznos is too bready. Both places use just *airy* bread. /rant off.

sometimes convenience is king :p

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Subway ~ eat cr@p.
Is it me or is subway getting way too cocky. Over here in silicon valley a footlong meal is $7.50. So I said screw that, and got a deli style turkey sandwich, which was $2.50. well, guess what. They put 2 tiny slices of turkey on this big roll. I couldn't taste the turkey at all. There was more pepper on it than turkey. That is the last time I ate at subway. It's not worth it. I can go eat at an Indian Buffet for $6.50 and get great food, curries, fish, lamb. all you can eat and with desert. Or I can go to a chinese place for $5, or Japanese for $7. Who wants to spend $7.50 at subway? The food sucks, it's overpriced. If I want subs I'll go to Quiznos or Togos and eat something that tastes good. Let Jared eat Subway.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I noticed that months ago compared to what the local place used to be. Still... it's much better than most other stuff out there :)

nik

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I still like subway.. It's better than McDonalds or Burger King any day..

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
I think it's gone down hill.... ever since they got rid of the barbecue sandwich. :|

AShadeOfClear

Banned
Jul 19, 2001
I have noticed this as well. Just like you did, I noticed the veggies seem stale and tasteless, except for the onions, which taste very strong. If I get a turkey sub, it will be nearly tasteless. However, today I had a steak & cheese sub with Southwest sauce and it was pretty good.

AsukaStrikes

Banned
Jul 30, 2002
got bad food posoining one time from subway and threw up twice and was bed-ridden for two days. now we know how jared lost all that weight.

dont order from them when its later in the night, all the stuff there is old and poisonous

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
I think the quality is worse too. Ordered a Tuna footlong the other day and I swear it was more like tuna stew (watered down).

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Like Eli said, Subway is still better than traditional burger fast food joints.

Although their offerings (more bread, more sub choices, soups, sauces, and cucumbers) have increased their overall quality has decreased.

If I can afford it, I usually go to Quizno's and get the RossMAN Meal Deal.

mee987

Jan 23, 2002
of course the veggies arent gonna be great, its not like they are picked fresh from the garden... they come in big plastic bags. even if the food isnt that great, you get a lot more at subway. does it suprise you that a foot long sandwich made fresh w/ fresh bread and 15 condiments and various types of meat and cheese costs more than a burger and fries? "we're talkin hand-made quality sh*t here" - Ben Stiller, Happy Gilmore

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Like Eli said, Subway is still better than traditional burger fast food joints.
Better for you? Yes. Better tasting? No.
Although their offerings (more bread, more sub choices, soups, sauces, and cucumbers) have increased their overall quality has decreased.
This seems very true. Most of their "new offerings" are different sauces on old types of subs.
If I can afford it, I usually go to Quizno's and get the RossMAN Meal Deal.
Of course you can afford it, that's what credit is for! ;) As for Quizno's, i'm going there tonight for a N8Magic Meal Deal©¨.

¨ -- Medium Honey Dijon Chicken & Swiss, Bowl of Clam Chowder, diet Coke and a bag of chips.

MisterPresident

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002
I've noticed the taste of Subway food varies greatly depending on the sandwich artist who is making it. My best experience was at the University of Oregon..... The on-campus artist created four Sub's, from start to finish, in under 5 minutes, and boy did it taste good.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
subway varies widely in quality... the one on 29th street here in austin is awesome, but most of the others i've been to the past several years have sucked. it started with the one in dobie mall not baking the bread all the way. the new bread that subway uses sucks too. and the one near work smashes it before doing putting stuff on it. so you get a thin layer of smushed bread, tasteless toppings...and its $5 to get a sandwich. i just get boar's head from the deli counter and make my own darn sandwiches.

mee987

Jan 23, 2002
ive got a friend that works at subway, I generally get subs free or cheap and he does a good job... if its late at night I can get behind the counter and construct my own sandwich exactly to my liking =)

Vinny N

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2000
Subs from the local supermarket, are usually pretty fresh and tasty, usually bigger and more for your money too :p

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
yeah, subway sucks, quality has been getting worse and worse and so has the service at the 2 i go to

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
I usally get the steak and cheese sub with double meat on it. Quality does depend on the store you go to though.

mee987

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Vinny_N
Subs from the local supermarket, are usually pretty fresh and tasty, usually bigger and more for your money too :p
I think one of the reasons people love subway is the idea of customization. most of us here like customization as well, check out the cases and cooling forum

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i have to agree. the sandwiches have really started to suck. i swear they cut down the amount of meat they put in them. not to mention the vegies are really bad.

i prefer to go to white hen or the local supermarket. i get a nice thick sandwich for a buck or two less plus chips and a drink and its fresh cut and made. yummm