Question Has the consumer gaming GPU technology timeline lost it's way? Where are the AFFORDABLE 16GB VRAM cards to choose from?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Some possible hope for prices to come down.

Right now just seems like a bad time to buy. Lucky me that I've got a couple of 5900X CPU rigs with 64GB of DDR4-3200 in them, that need decent GPUs (at least, one of them does), to become my "main rig" to get back into some slight gaming.

I have a couple of 4K UHD TVs using as monitors over HDMI2.0 @ 60FPS. No real HDR to speak of.

Was thinking about a RX 6800 / 6800 XT, but I still can't stomach paying $600 for one. Maybe $300-350.

WTF prices are still like mining is a thing, is beyond me. RTX 4090 IS profitable to mine with, if you don't mind an ROI of like 10 years.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
Affordable to whom? Someone who has 150 to spare? 300? 600? 1200? Seems the industry lost its way with definition of affordable.
Well, they do seem to be catering to the "because I'm worth it" crowd.

So the question is:
"Are you not worth $2,000 to yourself?
Then stop being misery and stingy and buy that 4090 you know you deserve!"

I'd add a (sarc) tag, but I'm not convinced that this isn't exactly some product placement/segmentation manager at Nvidia et all thinks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, they do seem to be catering to the "because I'm worth it" crowd.

So the question is:
"Are you not worth $2,000 to yourself?
Then stop being misery and stingy and buy that 4090 you know you deserve!"

I'd add a (sarc) tag, but I'm not convinced that this isn't exactly some product placement/segmentation manager at Nvidia et all thinks.
Or the much-vaunted Millenial and Gen-Z desires to spend $$$ on "experiences", and not "things".

I could see how clever marketing of gaming "experiences" might appeal to the demographic.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Considering gamers paid $900 for 8gb 3070Ti's last year and bragged about it on forums as being a good deal, I wouldn't expect Nvidia to care about giving us good deal 16gb cards. The 8gb 4060 is expected to perform like a 3070 for the price of a 3070. When Nvidia said falling GPU prices were a thing of the past, they damn well meant it. Question is, at what point do people stop buying? I'm guessing gamers would be fine with $5-600 for another 8gb card this year, and by "fine" I mean they will complain and then buy them by the truck load.

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
People have no sense anymore it seems. I'm confused with all this complaining about life being unaffordable how there's still a market for overpriced GPUs. If it costs $30 for a Wendy's meal, then I'm going somewhere else, or better yet, I'll eat at home. Guess that somehow doesn't matter to a population who supposedly can't even afford rent!?

Companies are like animals. I wouldn't expect a hungry lion to politely discuss the ins-and-outs of fiscal policy with me while I hold a bloody steak. The market has resoundingly said "HELL YES" to their absurd pricing - so thus they price.

I could afford it. But I won't. I just won't. A GPU is but one component of many that goes into a $1,000-$2,000 build. I'm not writing a blank check so leather jacket mcgee can buy a 2nd yacht and continue screwing over my fellow hobbyists.

The best buys currently IMO are the 6650xt which can be had for around $250, or possibly a 6750xt in the $350's. Obviously they should be cheaper by now, and obviously they're not the "Everything maxed out on 4k with RT enabled UwU" experience. But you know what? I've always been a midrange gamer anyway. I have multiple PCs in my home, and even the oldest one with the R9 290 still works. I am camping the hell out until gamers recover from their dementia and remember what pricing looked like in 2019 and before.

Yeah. I may be waiting awhile.

Nov 22, 2022
Midrange is not defined by performance; it is defined by price. If they can't manage a $300 card with enough performance to make it worth upgrading from 3000 or even 2000 era cards, then then they are going to lose the midrange market.

If they had it their way, they would like the midrange market to not exist anyway 🤣

RX 6400's for the peasants... $500+ for everyone else!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Checked the price of NEW RX 6500 XT cards on ebay???

$200+!

You can get RX 6600 NEW @ Newegg $225.
Newegg has a 6500XT for $149 and includes The Last of Us.

Overpriced stuff selling on Ebay has always been a source of wonderment for me. I would conclude the stuff isn't selling, but it will show 400 sold or some other bonkers number. I can't wrap my head around it. Are these people drunk shopping?

The Gigabyte RX 6800 for $465 shipped is the best deal going.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Overpriced stuff selling on Ebay has always been a source of wonderment for me. I would conclude the stuff isn't selling, but it will show 400 sold or some other bonkers number. I can't wrap my head around it. Are these people drunk shopping?
You got me... maybe college-aged "drunk shopping the morning after" is a real thing after all.

• Haha
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Newegg has a 6500XT for $149 and includes The Last of Us.
I know, right?!

I snagged my RX 6500 XT ITX for like $119.99. (for a short period, AMD had some temp sales, to drop them below $150).

Edit: I owe you an apology. I checked my Newegg history, my RX 6500 XT was $250 (bought when they were first introduced), my RX 6400 was $127 (bought way more recently).

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I know, right?!

I snagged my RX 6500 XT ITX for like $119.99. (for a short period, AMD had some temp sales, to drop them below $150).
Yeah I had miscalculated what I paid for my XFX 6400, it ended up being like $104 total. I don't count the Saints Row game because that was a turd. I haven't even played it yet, it looked so bad. For tiny builds there is still nothing at the price that competes. Except that little Yeston GTX 1650, which would be great if they sold it for $120. But at close to $200 it isn't worth it over the 6400; maybe in 3.0 mode?

EDIT: Considering they wanted $275+ for a 1650, average was over $300, and $225+ for a 1050ti, average was $275, the 6500 was a great deal at the time. Cristo just compared them again.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I ordered one of those. If I find it amongst my boxes, I'll send it along.
That would be amazing! I'd love to see just how much of an advantage it has with a 5700G in an mITX B450 over the 6400 in games like RDR2, Cyberpunk'd, Spiderman MM, and Callisto Protocol. I mean neither are going to be great, but I liked to see for myself if we are talking about better frame pacing and/or from playable to unplayable. That kind of thing.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
People have no sense anymore it seems. I'm confused with all this complaining about life being unaffordable how there's still a market for overpriced GPUs. If it costs $30 for a Wendy's meal, then I'm going somewhere else, or better yet, I'll eat at home. Guess that somehow doesn't matter to a population who supposedly can't even afford rent!?

Companies are like animals. I wouldn't expect a hungry lion to politely discuss the ins-and-outs of fiscal policy with me while I hold a bloody steak. The market has resoundingly said "HELL YES" to their absurd pricing - so thus they price.

I could afford it. But I won't. I just won't. A GPU is but one component of many that goes into a $1,000-$2,000 build. I'm not writing a blank check so leather jacket mcgee can buy a 2nd yacht and continue screwing over my fellow hobbyists.

The best buys currently IMO are the 6650xt which can be had for around $250, or possibly a 6750xt in the $350's. Obviously they should be cheaper by now, and obviously they're not the "Everything maxed out on 4k with RT enabled UwU" experience. But you know what? I've always been a midrange gamer anyway. I have multiple PCs in my home, and even the oldest one with the R9 290 still works. I am camping the hell out until gamers recover from their dementia and remember what pricing looked like in 2019 and before.

Yeah. I may be waiting awhile.
When the Gubment hadouts stop, and people actually have to pay with money they earned, then prices will normalize. Right now people on EBT are eating steak and crab legs.

• Haha
Reactions: Grazick and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
When the Gubment hadouts stop, and people actually have to pay with money they earned, then prices will normalize. Right now people on EBT are eating steak and crab legs.
As if your first sentence has anything to do with GPU prices. :rolleyes:

And your second sentence? Just...wow. Like that hasn't been a propagandist talking point of conservatives for years already? And it's never been true. It doesn't happen. In fact, the only evidence of it has been conservatives lying about it (such as showing their OWN receipts and claiming it was some other poor person's.)

On that note: where did comments like these come from in the GPU forums? P&N is that way ------->

I come to the tech section of the forums to have a break from P&N...and still have to run into idiocy like this from people who feel the need to interject it into discussions of everything.

Last edited:

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
As if your first sentence has anything to do with GPU prices. :rolleyes:

And your second sentence? Just...wow. Like that hasn't been a propagandist talking point of conservatives for years already? And it's never been widely true. In fact, the only evidence of it has been conservative idiots lying about it.

On that note: where the hell did comments like these come from in the GPU forums? P&N is that way ------->
Facts are not political statements. You just choose to keep your head in the sand. You cant wish them away.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Facts are not political statements. You just choose to keep your head in the sand. You cant wish them away.
Facts, like the recent NPR article that discussed this, AND ALL OTHER FORMS OF GOV'T HANDOUTs, like the "Mortgage interest deduction", and found out that GOV'T HANDOUTS INCREASE, THE HIGHER YOU GO ON THE ECONOMIC LADDER.

In other words, the REAL "Welfare queens" are the middle/upper-class, with all of their handouts and tax deductions. NOT the people stuck on EBT to eat.

(Trust me, if you're eating steak/crabs on EBT, you're not going to have very many meals that month.)

So, Yup, FACTS. Let's discuss them. Not racist conservative tropes.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Memory prices are low. GDDR6 is not the same as DRAM but the pricing structure is the same. Low DRAM prices mean lower VRAM prices. A 16GB is no longer a luxury.

Reactions: Ranulf

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Personally, I think that "If a person cannot afford a gPU, one should be appointed unto them". At age 16 or 18. Just in time for their "Virtual Army Service period of two years". Pilot drones in realtime over the internet.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mopetar