Has SONY fixed the update that has been bricking consoles ?

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I recently read an article about a Playstation update that has been bricking consoles. I think it is the same update that fixed the battery issue. Or whatever it was...I don't know much about it.

But after reading that, I disconnected my PS4 from the internet. And has been unplugged for a week. There are a few game updates I need to download but cannot connect with it until I update.

So what are the odds of it bricking the console ? Some people have good luck, a few have not.
I have also read that SONY has remained silent on the bricked consoles.

So should I chance it and update ? Thoughts ? Any one here that have successfully updated ?

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
this is the first I'm hearing about it.
Red Ring Of Death all over again?
PS4 Update bricking consoles

Tweaktown

Sony just released PS4's new v9.0 update alongside the PS5's big SSD expansion update, and some users are reporting that the firmware patch is hard-bricking their PS4 consoles. Multiple users on Reddit report that their base PS4s and PS4 Pros have stopped functioning after downloading the v9.0 update. Others report the PS4 is blinking blue, which signifies some sort of hardware or OS error. Reports say the consoles will not power on and do not work, however some users have gotten their systems to operate with a hard reset (unplugging the console for a minute or so and then rebooting).

Other users are reporting significant slowdowns on PS4 and PS4 Pro hardware, or consistent 35888 error codes (or SU-42118) preventing the update from being installed. The general consensus for a solution is trying to reinstall the update after a hard reset and praying for the best. The most frustrating part is that gamers can't use their PS4s or PS4 Pros online without downloading the update; Sony forces users to update to the latest firmware in order to connect to the internet or the PlayStation Store.

As someone who's had their launch 2013 Xbox One soft-bricked by Microsoft updates no less than 3 times, I can commiserate with these users and understand how frustrating it is when your hardware is slowly becoming obsolete by firmware patches. A soft-brick is usually reversible by re-installing the OS, but a hard-brick is usually permanent. Sony is asking users to spend $100 in order to repair consoles that have been hard-bricked by its own official updates.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
So, no one on the most popular tech forum has heard about this ? Odd.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
it generally means it is non-issue, infrequent enough and statistically irrelevant to the point it is noise. Few things to remember

a) "some users" will always report bricking. on update, on just turning their machine on, on reboot, on looking at it wrong way , on turning on a game (any game). search for bricking PS4 and firmware Version whatever you can find hits. pretty much on any version of firmware.

b) statistically, they made how many of these - 110 million ? any day , any hour of the day, statistically "some users" will have issues with some machines - just numbers coming from probabilities .

in short - I would not be very concerned about this. if you are careful about firmware, wait for few days and scan twitter/reddit , any _real_ issue (higher probability) would be there a lot, firmware would be retracted , etc.

Otherwise, it is just noise.

Reactions: JPB

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Thank you very much. At this point, the PS4 is still offline. But I am going to update it now and take the shot.

Thanks again.

Reactions: simas

Silmatharien

Mar 21, 2005
I did this update a few days ago after being on the fence about it after hearing about some of the bricking issues. My PS4 has been running fine since.

Reactions: JPB and simas

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I forgot to reply after I updated. And yes, it went flawless when I updated. Thanks again guys.

Reactions: simas