Has Sarah Palin abused her political power? Is a vote for McCain a vote for corruption?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

In a small town, when people have complaints they go straight to the mayor. I've done that here (at least before we hired a City Manager, he's who you go to now). It's quite likely when she was elected someone came to her bitching about some book(s) in the library and so she went about checking it out (asking the librarian etc).

Fern
FYI a small town mayor doesn't have the right to violate the First Amendment even if she's Sarah Barracuda.

It isn't a 1st Amendment issue at all.

What books a library does or doesn't carry is up to their policy.

Like I said earlier, it ain't really banning, it just that if you want it, you pay for it yourself and not with taxpayer money.

And if you don't like the library's choices of books to carry, you're free to excercise your 1st Amendment right and complain about it (whether they don't have what you want, or have stuff you don't want).

Fern

I don't know of anyone who is saying what she did was illegal, it was just scummy and a symptom of the ultra right wing's obsession with enforcing their morality on other people.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: eskimospy

In a small town, when people have complaints they go straight to the mayor. I've done that here (at least before we hired a City Manager, he's who you go to now). It's quite likely when she was elected someone came to her bitching about some book(s) in the library and so she went about checking it out (asking the librarian etc).

Fern
FYI a small town mayor doesn't have the right to violate the First Amendment even if she's Sarah Barracuda.

Like I said earlier, it ain't really banning, it just that if you want it, you pay for it yourself and not with taxpayer money.

And if you don't like the library's choices of books to carry, you're free to excercise your 1st Amendment right and complain about it (whether they don't have what you want, or have stuff you don't want).

Fern

I don't know of anyone who is saying what she did was illegal, it was just scummy and a symptom of the ultra right wing's obsession with enforcing their morality on other people.

Kind of like the extreme left trying to dicatate where I live by keeping the price of fuel high. Trying to force me to live downtown and walk to work. Trying to force me to move to the south because heating a house is to expensive.

How about Pelosi/Obama fairness doctrine how is that not pushing their morality on other people by shutting down talk radio?

I could go on and on both sides are equally guilty so you can get off your high horse.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: quest55720

Kind of like the extreme left trying to dicatate where I live by keeping the price of fuel high. Trying to force me to live downtown and walk to work. Trying to force me to move to the south because heating a house is to expensive.

How about Pelosi/Obama fairness doctrine how is that not pushing their morality on other people by shutting down talk radio?

I could go on and on both sides are equally guilty so you can get off your high horse.

Hey crazy person, check your facts. This is the second time I've had to correct you on this, please pay attention this time. No matter how many times right wing talk radio tells you something, it doesn't make it true. Obama does not support the return of the fairness doctrine. Stop lying, and you can no longer claim ignorance on this.

As for your fuel rant, I don't even know what to tell you other than you are in conspiracy nut paranoia land. I am unaware of any elected official that has any control whatsoever over fuel prices that is trying to keep them high to make you move to the south(!?!?) or move downtown.

Wow, bashing the left is easy when you make up positions for them to have that you don't like, huh?

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

Hey crazy person, check your facts. This is the second time I've had to correct you on this, please pay attention this time. No matter how many times right wing talk radio tells you something, it doesn't make it true. Obama does not support the return of the fairness doctrine. Stop lying, and you can no longer claim ignorance on this.

As for your fuel rant, I don't even know what to tell you other than you are in conspiracy nut paranoia land. I am unaware of any elected official that has any control whatsoever over fuel prices that is trying to keep them high to make you move to the south(!?!?) or move downtown.

Wow, bashing the left is easy when you make up positions for them to have that you don't like, huh?

Yep I am sure Obama will veto a pet project of pelosi lol. When has he stood up to her again? Did he call her out when she went on vacation instead of passing an energy plan?

Congress could lift the off shore ban as part of a complete energy plan lowering the price of fuel.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Yep I am sure Obama will veto a pet project of pelosi lol. When has he stood up to her again? Did he call her out when she went on vacation instead of passing an energy plan?

Congress could lift the off shore ban as part of a complete energy plan lowering the price of fuel.

So let me get this straight, you are calling something the "Pelosi/Obama fairness doctrine" because at some point in the future Obama will hypothetically not veto a hypothetical bill on an issue he opposes. This isn't crazy at all... nope! And what do you mean Obama stand up to Pelosi? How much do they even interact? I'm against the McCain/David Duke "Re-instating the Holocaust and make babies into sandwiches" bill because I believe David Duke will be elected to Congress in the future, will place this bill and in my make believe world McCain won't veto that either.

The fact that you think Congress not lifting the offshore drilling ban (put in place by the first President Bush) is indicative of a conspiracy by the left to keep oil prices high and force you to move probably means you should check yourself into the nearest mental hospital.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Fern

didn't I read somewhere that Palin did have some sort of city manager?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Fern

Fern

Oh, and Fern it's different than just not buying a book with taxpayers' money, it was about removing books already bought with taxpayer money. That's not a budget issue.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

So let me get this straight, you are calling something the "Pelosi/Obama fairness doctrine" because at some point in the future Obama will hypothetically not veto a hypothetical bill on an issue he opposes. This isn't crazy at all... nope! And what do you mean Obama stand up to Pelosi? How much do they even interact? I'm against the McCain/David Duke "Re-instating the Holocaust and make babies into sandwiches" bill because I believe David Duke will be elected to Congress in the future, will place this bill and in my make believe world McCain won't veto that either.

The fact that you think Congress not lifting the offshore drilling ban (put in place by the first President Bush) is indicative of a conspiracy by the left to keep oil prices high and force you to move probably means you should check yourself into the nearest mental hospital.

If you don't think that the fairness doctrine won't show up on the presidents desk next year you are nuts. It will be one of the first acts pelosi will get passed. I know a president McCain will veto that shit. I know a president Obama won't veto it since he won't stand up to his party.

The reason the ban is not lifted is guess what the democrats. The republicans caved on every other issue for an energy bill. All the democrats had to do was agree to lift the ban and we have an energy plan months ago. Instead Pelosi/Obama tabled any vote and went on vacation.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Fern

didn't I read somewhere that Palin did have some sort of city manager?

Apparently, no.

City of Wasilla Web Site

As a former practitioner (10 years in local gov't administration) I dare say Wasilla is merely 40-50 years behind in professional public management on the local level.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: Juddog
Here's an e-mail I got about Palin... I did some research on it and it is true, the writer is from Alaska and knows her personally.
Well it's true that the writer is from the same town as Palin and knows her personally.

But the rest of it is her opinion and not much else.
I am sure if I dig hard enough I can find someone who knows Obama and have them write a letter about everything bad Obama has ever done in his life.

:confused:
If someone had the ambition to write such a letter, why are they waiting for you personally to ask them?? All it takes is someone who knows him personally and doesn't like him for there to be a letter produced. Where is it?

Jun 27, 2005
Oh, and she DID in fact send her letters asking for her resignation. Now Palin's excuse was that those letters trying to fire her were just 'loyalty tests'. You know, if that's true in some ways that's even worse. What sort of insane person is running loyalty tests on the town librarian?

You're playing it like she was being singled out. Those letters were sent out to many city employees appointed by the previous three-term mayor.

Those letters to the librarian were never accepted. She refused to resign until three years later when she did so at her own prerogative.

And as I've said before, if SP was some kind of psycho book banner all she had to do was hire her own personal librarian and ban away... something that never happened. This is an unfair and inaccurate characterization.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
Attack her on her record... Repeat over and over and over and over.

* Mayor with $27 million in taxpayer Earmarks, for a town of 6000. And still left it with $22 million in debt.

* Spent money not on useful public works, but for a sports complex that is underused. Built it on land that did not belong to the city. Left the city in litigation.

* Reformer? 2 years a director of indicted Sen. Ted Stevens 527. That is how she got the $27 million. When he gets indicted, she claims she is against corruption.

* Big Oil financed her mayoral bid.

* Actively lobbied for the Bridge to Nowhere, before she was against it, then took the money anyway. Then lied about being against it.

* Promises to cooperate on an abuse of power investigation, but then stonewalls and refuses to testify.

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
A couple more...

* Oppossed funding to prevent teen pregnancies, a position that Palin also took as governor. "The explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support," she wrote in a 2006 questionnaire distributed among gubernatorial candidates.

* Covenant House Alaska, a program that helps younger people, including teenage mothers. The Alaska legislature decided to allocate $5 million in building funds, but Gov. Sarah Palin cut that to $3.9 million with a line-item veto in June.?

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Post like BMW's will help win the election for Obama.
Post like Juddog's is what will allow the Dem's to once again snatch defeat out of the jaws of sure victory. How so many people don't understand that is the funniest part.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Druidx
Post like BMW's will help win the election for Obama.
Post like Juddog's is what will allow the Dem's to once again snatch defeat out of the jaws of sure victory. How so many people don't understand that is the funniest part.
Yep like the average voter is logged on to this forum reading these posts:roll:

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Do you not think the attitudes displayed on this forum carry over. Most of the stupidity pointed out here actually came from other sites. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it will backfire.

BTW did you hear Obama was a community organizer? ;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Do you not think the attitudes displayed on this forum carry over. Most of the stupidity pointed out here actually came from other sites. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it will backfire.

No but I heard you were a Republican Fluffer.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002

Is that anything like a community organizer?

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006

Bwahahahah you made me spit coffee on my screen after reading that.:laugh: