Has Pizza Hut changed its taste?

madoka

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2004
I remember as a young kid thinking that Pizza Hut had some really good pizza when I first tried it. But now when I eat it, it tastes like crap.

Did my taste buds change or did Pizza Hut change?

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I agree. I think it's changed but so have a lot of chains.

I remember being in college, chipping in for Dominoes or Papa Johns, and really enjoying the slices I got out of the deal. Now they're barf inducing.

To reduce costs chains don't use real cheese anymore, and their crusts have suffered as well. Even the tomato sauce often seems sickeningly sweet at times.

The only chain around where I live that still seems to use real cheese is a place called Rosati's.

Nov 29, 2006
Pizza Hut is on my do not eat list. Even when free. It’s literally that gross. Was good as a kid, but it’s crap pizza now.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
The couple times I had a their pizza I noticed the cheese just dissolves in your mouth like cheap gum. In the past I remember it being so gooey that you would have to chew on it for a while and sometimes it would even choke you it was so thick. I also remember large pizzas actually being large.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It's definitely different. I went a year or so ago after not having been for 10+ years, and the experience I was looking for wasn't there. I like the new pizza ok, but it wasn't as it used to be. Kind of disappointing.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Yeah they super suck now. Even a few years ago coworkers and I would go there for their lunch buffet and it was fine. Now, though, its greasy, bad tasting and frequently not warm pizza.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
They were always a little too salty. Not that I wouldn't eat with a gallon of beer or soda.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I think the sauce they now use on pizzas is the sauce they used to use for bread sticks.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
of course Pizza Hut has changed. Back in the late 80's they were awesome. Now not quite so awesome.

I have noticed that different stores have varying quality. The one I used to lived near always did a great job. Now the one I live near is mediocre at best.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Back in the 1980s, the cost of Pizza Hut pizza was about the same price as today. Which is crazy considering inflation and how much cost of other foods like hamburgers have gone up. Yet the pizza prices have remained the same or declined in some cases. So companies like Pizza Hut have resorted to using really cheap and poor quality ingredients and making the pizza smaller and thinner than in the past. Cheese and meat are the two most expensive ingredients in a pizza and the quality and quantity of both ingredients have gone down the drain. I don't eat Pizza Hut anymore.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I remember as a young kid thinking that Pizza Hut had some really good pizza when I first tried it. But now when I eat it, it tastes like crap.

Did my taste buds change or did Pizza Hut change?

Why not both?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I haven't had Pizza Hut in a long time but I remember their individual pan pizzas being pretty good. Their thin crust pizza is terrible, though.

Anyone remember in the 90s they used to have the buffet? That was awesome. And the green slime pudding.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I never can tell with these places if it is that they changed the recipe (certainly likely--due to cheaper, cancery ingredients), or it is just my memory of my teenage and younger palate simply not agreeing with my current adult palate (also likely). I think it is something of both.

Even so, in those days when I considered Pizza Hut superior in their class, I still recognized Domino's as crap, Pizza Inn as crap, CiCi's as...uh, re-purposed prison food, Gumby's as crap (OK, except for those 3AM Pokey Stix! nom nom nom), so at least that palate had some discretion. I haven't tried Pizza Hut in years, but I always loved their "Deep Dish." No other comparable fast/delivery pizza joint had that kind of pizza.

Recently, I tried Taco Bell for the first time in about 15 or more years...maybe 25 years. no idea. I remember it being delicious, as awful as it truly was, but I at least could crush about 4 or 5 tacos at a time back in the day. ....but these tacos that I recently had, no longer any kind of value at nearly $2 each (remember when those things were like, $0.59 each?), tasted of sawdust and cold. Truly, truly wretched. I am told by lifelong Taco Bell aficionados that "nothing has changed," but I definitely can't be asked to stomach that again. Could be that it was the Taco Bell in the Student Union area on campus, but still. The Chik Fil-A there holds court really well and the Panda is, well, just as you expect of any other Panda Inn. ....

Anyway I think it's both: very likely that they have cheapened out on recipe to target the even more $$$ conscious demographics, and memory of the old days really isn't as good as it was. Still, Domino's is observably better than they were, and they improved on purpose. So there is certainly a management decision somewhere to intentionally make things shittier

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I only have two experiences with the hut. First, we ordered a pan pizza and it was pretty good. A few years later we order again and it was just terrible....so bad we threw it out. Never tried again....so many better places to order pizza from.

Nashemon

Jun 14, 2012
One of the ones near me kept it until at least 2010
All the ones around Buffalo still have it. Only at lunch time, though. About $10 with a drink. It's the only thing I'd ever eat from Pizza Hut. Maybe once a year.