Question Has my nvme drive died?

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
While I was cleaning around my PC I knocked the power to it off. Now it is stuck in a boot up that never ends. I've tried the following troubleshooting

- Discharged all power to pc, tried rebooting
- Startup Repair
- Safe modes
- System Restore
- Reset Windows (fails to reset)
- Bios Update
- Reseated memory modules

The fact that it fails to reset Windows seems to be a concern to me?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Boot from a bootable linux USB to see if you can view and recover any needed files. If that works, it is likely a corrupt windows, and you should do a fresh install.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
If you have access to another system, I'd pop it in that one and use Crystal Disk Info to see the SMART status of the NVME. If it's good, then you can use also that system to retrieve your beloved files. If you don't have another system, about the only NVME that returns SMART status (including generic secure erase) off USB I've used is Naraeon.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My Asus B450-F ROG STRIX Gaming ATX board, has NVMe "Secure Erase" feature (Also SATA, after a reboot), and CDI shows SMART data for my two 1TB NVMe (Intel 660p).

I recently re-formatted, so I had to make use of some of those features. Also, I couldn't select the NVMe in BIOS (in UEFI boot mode, CSM disabled), as an actual "boot device" (wouldn't show up after a BIOS restart, AT ALL). Seems like when you run the Win10 installer on an NVMe SSD, it writes a "signature" (for secure boot, ostensibly, I think), that the BIOS needs to see, in order to offer up the NVMe as a boot device, and not just as a data drive.

Sure seemed like weird behavior to me.

NewMaxx

Aug 11, 2007
BIOS probably reset and the boot configuration therein is wrong. If you're trying to repair Windows boot otherwise, you do it by booting to installation media, and can involve going to command line.