Has hell frozen over yet ? ACLU Backs Rush Limbaugh's Privacy

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040112/ap_on_en_ot/limbaugh_painkillers_3

ACLU Backs Rush Limbaugh's Privacy

Mon Jan 12, 1:01 PM ET

By JILL BARTON, Associated Press Writer

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - Rush Limbaugh and the American Civil Liberties Union don't agree about much, but they're in accord that the conservative radio commentator's medical records should be off-limits to prosecutors.

The Florida ACLU filed court papers Monday supporting Limbaugh's argument that investigators violated his constitutional right to privacy when they seized his medical records in November to investigate whether he violated drug laws when he purchased prescription painkillers.

"It may seem odd that the ACLU has come to the defense of Rush Limbaugh," the state chapter's executive director, Howard Simon, said in a statement. "But we have always said that the ACLU's real client is the Bill of Rights and we will continue to safeguard the values of equality, fairness and privacy for everyone, regardless of race, economic status or political point of view."

State Attorney Barry Krischer had no comment on the ACLU's involvement. Spokesman Mike Edmondson said prosecutors have followed state laws and have protected Limbaugh's rights throughout the investigation. Limbaugh has not been charged with a crime.

Prosecutors say they cannot continue their investigation until they review Limbaugh's medical records, which have been sealed since Dec. 23.

Limbaugh's attorneys have asked an appeals court to keep the records sealed past a Jan. 23 deadline set by the Palm Beach Circuit Court.

Investigators went after the records discovering that Limbaugh received more than 2,000 painkillers, prescribed by four doctors in six months, at a pharmacy near his Palm Beach mansion. Limbaugh's former maid told investigators she had been supplying him prescription painkillers for years.

Limbaugh argues that the investigation is politically motivated ? a charge that prosecutors deny. His attorney Roy Black says the records would only prove Limbaugh suffered from a serious medical condition and was prescribed painkillers.

Limbaugh admitted his addiction in October, saying it stemmed from severe back pain. He took a five-week leave from his afternoon radio show to enter a rehabilitation program.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I feel the charges ought to be dropped against Limbaugh. The interests of justice are not being served pursuing this issue any further. The privacy issue is correct. Doctor shopping is symptomatic of the secondary disease that Limbaugh is under treatment for. While I don't like the man, his philosophy, or his pompous attitude, I must support his and my and your right to privacy in our medical and other covered records and papers.. I support the ACLU's position in this matter.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Ya beat me to it. :D

I wonder what Rush will say about the ACLU coming to his aid. Of course he will ask them not to help, right?

Seriously, I have no idea what the heck any of these people are thinking. It has always been the norm that medical records may be subpoenaed in investigations. If they have one, Rush doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
Hell I say the DA uses the Patriot Act against Rush as a nice topping on the screwed up cake he has made.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Hell I say the DA uses the Patriot Act against Rush as a nice topping on the screwed up cake he has made.

Why bother with all that Patriot act just change his statues and ship him off to cuba, the land of the free.

We could make him the first POW of the drug war and lock him up until the war ends.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Hell has'nt frozen over..I said when this whole thing broke, rush, like anyone else, has a constitutional right to privacy...as usual the ACLU steps up to the plate for bill of rights regaurdless who they may offend. Get your checkbooks out and make a real difference to preserve that frail document which is under constant assault..Someday your ass may be on the line.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Thank you, this is a serious problem with medical records that needs addressing. I hate rush as much as the next "pinko liberal" but medical records should be between you and your doctor. He hasn't been charged with anything, and unless he is, his records and everybody else's in his situation, should be sealed.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Zebo
Hell has'nt frozen over..I said when this whole thing broke, rush, like anyone else, has a constitutional right to privacy...as usual the ACLU steps up to the plate for bill of rights regaurdless who they may offend. Get your checkbooks out and make a real difference to preserve that frail document which is under constant assault..Someday your ass may be on the line.

^
^

What he said.

Civil rights were always meant for everyone.

Even that Fat Bast-- ... I mean Rush.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
A right denied to another is a right denied to yourself. We must not allow even the smallest intrusion into our lives that is and ought to be held private. The powers to be are busy constantly chipping at every right in every situation. Do not give even the slightest bit away of your own nor any one else's.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is part of the reason I recently joined the ACLU- we'll even defend the rights of people who hate us, and hate the bill of rights, too...

The ACLU has something sadly lacking in many other organizations- principles.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
That's why part of my new year's resolutions are to send more money to the ACLU. I also plan on joining EFF this year. As soon as possible. :)

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
The ACLU has defended the American NAZI party's right to march in the past.

The ACLU has some loonies......but it's definately a good thing to have them around.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I have to disagree with many of you on the medical records issue. Are medical records somehow sacred? The police have the power to get a search warrant for your house if there is enough probable cause, then how is subpoenaeing (sp?) medical records any different?

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
This is part of the reason I recently joined the ACLU- we'll even defend the rights of people who hate us, and hate the bill of rights, too...

Evidently one of those principles is hypocrisy, which accurately describes their stance on the second amendment. When they start defending that right with the same vigor and using the same arguments as they do the rest of the bill of rights, they'll get my money too. Until then they're just hypocrites.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
Originally posted by: Jhhnn

Evidently one of those principles is hypocrisy, which accurately describes their stance on the second amendment. When they start defending that right with the same vigor and using the same arguments as they do the rest of the bill of rights, they'll get my money too. Until then they're just hypocrites.

Just join the NRA and ACLU then all your rights are covered.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: Zebo

^
^

What he said.

Civil rights were always meant for everyone.

Even that Fat Bast-- ... I mean Rush.

What document? Oh that old 220 some odd year piece of ratty paper? That's been replaced with the almighty 4th Reich called the Bush Administration and all you ATer's better get used to it and love it. Heil Bush.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Everybody loves to hate the ACLU until their rights have been trampled on.

That deserves a nice quote. The ACLU always is defending unpopular ideas that are at the basis of our freedom.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Gotta agree with the ACLU on this one.

BTW, zephyrprime, I believe part of the rationale for making doctor-patient records confidential is to encourage patients to fully disclose all of their health problems to the doctor, thereby allowing a doctor to make the right diagnosis. By violating that privilege, you may get patients witholding information.