Has anything posted on ATPN changed any of your views?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Have you changed a view based on ATPN discussions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
yes

I used to wonder if people were born with a certain mindset. The only other option would be that people were just raised that way but that wouldn't explain how a Democrat could raise a Conservative. Then after reading and watching here, I realized that people are all just sheeple and they follow the thinking of whomever they see as their leader.

And yes even you alpha males of AT...you follow too. So very few people actually have original opinions on anything political. So very many will argue to the death to defend a position that they don't fully understand.

Its not a bad thing, its just interesting to watch.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally Posted by Anarchist420
Anarchist---- Nope. My views on immigration have changed since I first came here (I used to hold a more Hoppe-an view) but that's not because of anything here and that's really the only one of my views that has changed since I've come here. I've been a libertarian since 2006, a supporter of Dr. Paul since 2007, and an ancap since 08.

Craig234--Don't you miss your home planet?

I think he was exiled from his home planet....

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I clearly remember a thread where I was educated about the core facts of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Someone called me an uneducated idiot, to which I absolutely admitted to. The same person who called me an uneducated idiot did a complete about face and very politely undertook to educate me about simple things, like boundaries and dates and such. Having a better understanding of the situation did change my perspective and opinions.

In general I'm more libertarian and less traditionally conservative than I used to be, and I think interaction with AT folks has played a part in that. It's always the reasonable balanced folks who make me think and inch me towards changes in my views. The folks that grasp at straws, harp at their point, will use any evidence rational or irrational, hurl insults at the opposing party, and refuse to entertain anyone else's evidence or perspectives, they simply make me write off their views as the rantings of crazy people.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The one view that has changed the most for me is that I have come to accept the fact that there actually are people who will cut off their noses to spite their faces, especially when it comes to choosing blatantly overt emotionally driven propaganda over their own best interests.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope, never.
I often want to ask this question when I see people posting constantly and its pretty damn clear no one is going to change their mind and the discussion cant possibly go any further.

Yetti

May 3, 2000
Not really. I used to lurk this forum a lot and too many people are a little too far to the right or left for my taste.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yes. i can't remember the threads but it has happened.

problem is it hasn't happened in years. the Forum now as it is if you have a decanting opinion on the popular view you get shouted down and ran out. Even if you are right. Also the viewpoint is so fucked up its rather comical.

the last 2 years P&N has gotten so far in each direction its nuts.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i don't post or read anything in P&N with the expectation of anything (in myself or others) changing, including opinions or viewpoints or political alignments

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I don't know about you, but sometimes it feels like nothing you (or others) say will change anyone's mind around here. People seem extremely stuck in their ways on both sides of discussions and I'm not sure that I've ever seen someone change their view here. Have you?

P&N serves two types of activities. Both are wastes of time. The first type is more prominent and involves people exorcising their psychological demons and trying to attack other people to make themselves feel better. The second is sort of like crossword puzzle. You exercise your brain by critiquing and defending arguments. Neither has an effect on the actual government in this country.

Last edited:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
P&N serves two types of activities. Both are wastes of time. The first type is more prominent and involves people exercising their psychological demons and trying to attack other people to make themselves feel better. The second is sort of like crossword puzzle. You exercise your brain by critiquing and defending arguments. Neither has an effect on the actual government in this country.

Nothing I ever do is going to have
"an effect on the actual government in this country"
I don't have that kind of money to spend.

Nov 29, 2006
I voted yes. I didnt think religious nut jobs were as bad as i had heard about. Then i read P&N and i was blown away by the ignorance :p

But on a serious note yes i have. Actually a lot of my views have become more conservative after my time here. But only on fiscal issues. I'm still a social liberal. That will never change.

nanette1985

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2005
Yes. I can't remember specifics but there have been one or two posts/replies regarding medical issues/billing that I found quite informative

Yetti

May 3, 2000
USED to lurk?
o_O

Okay, okay. I still lurk a bit. I used to post a little bit around the site, but I wasn't a well known member. My post count got reset during the VBulletin switch, so now everybody thinks I'm some hardcore lurker that never posts. I don't come to AT that much anymore, but that's provably going to change real soon.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'd say yes, although since I don't view most policy issues as black and white, I'd say my views have shifted along the policy continuum more than anything. I've been posting here for quite a long time, and over that time I've rethought a number of things as a direct result of what I've read here.

I would also say that you shouldn't assume that the only useful outcome of the discussions here is people changing their minds about something. Even if you think more about your view as a result of something you've read here and end up with the same viewpoint, at least you're THINKING about your views, and that has quite a bit of value because your position is hopefully well considered. No position is ever going to go unchallenged here, which is good for the intellect ;)
Well said. Everything we believe needs to be constantly evaluated, and the more fervently we believe it, the more we need to think about it. /Channeling Moonbeam

Okay, okay. I still lurk a bit. I used to post a little bit around the site, but I wasn't a well known member. My post count got reset during the VBulletin switch, so now everybody thinks I'm some hardcore lurker that never posts. I don't come to AT that much anymore, but that's provably going to change real soon.
Welcome back. 47 posts from 2000 (or from whenever the Vbulletin changeover happened) is certainly, um, restrained.

RedString

Feb 24, 2011
I can't think of any specific topics but I've definitely been educated on more than one occasion and had it change my views. Though often it just helps me analyze my own standing and compare my views and conclusions with others who have the same. Its interesting when people get to the same end following a different path. Though almost always each argument helps in my understanding of the topic. Save for a few which include certain people... I almost feel dumber having read their pov.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
I used to think people wanted to have reasonable discussions, and could be reasoned with given a good logical argument. Now I think many just talk based purely on emotion and opinion with nothing to back it up.