Has anything posted on ATPN changed any of your views?

Have you changed a view based on ATPN discussions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I don't know about you, but sometimes it feels like nothing you (or others) say will change anyone's mind around here. People seem extremely stuck in their ways on both sides of discussions and I'm not sure that I've ever seen someone change their view here. Have you?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I don't know about you, but sometimes it feels like nothing you (or others) say will change anyone's mind around here. People seem extremely stuck in their ways on both sides of discussions and I'm not sure that I've ever seen someone change their view here. Have you?

In a positive way...or a negative way?

Views on a subject or views on the person posting?

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
I just started posting here a short time ago but I've been posting in political forums for as long as I've had a computer. Because I'm probably quite a bit older than most of the posters I would hate to say I'm set in my ways but I'd say it's probably true. Most of my political views I've had for quite awhile. Then again I keep to my own council on most things. I am certainly not influenced by people I don't even know. Actually I think most people that post in political forums are that way so I'm not out of the norm.

Feb 6, 2007
I've changed my views on some issues based on a combination of experience and additional information; sometimes that information comes from discussions here at ATPN. I can't think of any concrete examples that I could tie directly back to P&N, but I've become much more fiscally conservative in the past 5 years, and I think P&N has played something of a role in that. I'm still fiercely socially liberal, and I don't anticipate that ever changing; there's literally no argument anyone could make to convince me that gay marriage is wrong, for example.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Yes, I've changed a view or 2 due to things i've learned here at ATP&N and in some cases have moderated my views on others. I especially appreciate it when posters link information and/or informative sites in their posts. There's never a point where you can't learn something new and sometimes when you learn something new it changes your old opinions.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Nope. My views on immigration have changed since I first came here (I used to hold a more Hoppe-an view) but that's not because of anything here and that's really the only one of my views that has changed since I've come here. I've been a libertarian since 2006, a supporter of Dr. Paul since 2007, and an ancap since 08.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Nope. My views on immigration have changed since I first came here (I used to hold a more Hoppe-an view) but that's not because of anything here and that's really the only one of my views that has changed since I've come here. I've been a libertarian since 2006, a supporter of Dr. Paul since 2007, and an ancap since 08.

Don't you miss your home planet?:)

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Only my view on using ignore lists.

There's only so many times you can respond to the same person and receive the same answer before you realize some people are just a waste of time.

Jan 7, 2012
I voted yes, but also would have a hard time finding examples. Even after the new emphasis on "non-derailment" it seems like there is an awful lot of irrelevant fluff brought in even when a point is actually made.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, in ATP&N I learned what it must felt like for the Sailors of the Indianapolis to be surrounded by rabidly hungry sharks for days in the Pacific ocean when before I came in here I didn't really think it could be that bad.;)

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Yes, the forum helps to highlight the extent of my ignorance when I forget to accuratly gauge it.

I try to remember that for the most part, we all want a better future for eachother and are loved ones. There are valid disagreements in terms of achieving the best possilble future, though I typically see the disagreement as a difference of opinion on where responsiblity is best placed for optimal results.

The best power is one that is evenly distributed amongst us all. Unfortunately we've been forced to accepting voting as power, and i'm concerned that system has failed the majority and enriched the miniority.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Only thing that's changed for me based on P&N is that I never realized some of the versions of crazy that exist out there until posting here.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Yes, a couple of times, the most recent being some of the arguments that denying welfare recipients voting rights was on balance more bad than good. Since I can see good and bad on both sides of most issues I'm always up for change, but being into my second half century it's probably not that often that I see an important point I haven't seen or thought before.

Good post, Attic.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I've come around to supporting a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution based in part on what I've read here.

I've learned that regardless of whether a "fact" introduced by a poster matches my biases or not, that checking primary sources is essential before responding. The volume of FUD and misinformation bouncing around the net and the media on just about any topic is mind blowing. I don't always do it but I do recognise the need.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Occasionally. Most of the arguments here get pretty inane, but sometimes I've been swayed by legitimate information that I was ignorant of.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I'd say yes, although since I don't view most policy issues as black and white, I'd say my views have shifted along the policy continuum more than anything. I've been posting here for quite a long time, and over that time I've rethought a number of things as a direct result of what I've read here.

I would also say that you shouldn't assume that the only useful outcome of the discussions here is people changing their minds about something. Even if you think more about your view as a result of something you've read here and end up with the same viewpoint, at least you're THINKING about your views, and that has quite a bit of value because your position is hopefully well considered. No position is ever going to go unchallenged here, which is good for the intellect ;)