Question Has anyone stopped mining out of concern for others affected by the power outages?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tajoh111

Mar 28, 2005
Currently millions are without power and there has been atleast 30 deaths due to these power outages. People are burning personal items to stay warm and that has resulted in carbon monoxide and dioxide deaths.

Power is being diverted from other states and even Canada that can supply power to those states are are experiencing these power outages.

So has anyone stopped mining or taken a break from it out of concern for those effected?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i think i would rather mine then turn on a heater if it ever got really cold where i live.
Unfortunately i live in a state with only 2 seasons... summer, fall and then summer again.

Reactions: The Alias

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Lack of winterization of all generation sources was the biggest issue in Texas, but it wasn't the only one. Residential natural gas usage spiked with the colder weather and created a supply problem on top of the winterization problem.

Here comes the private sector and wall street to cash in, and the taxpayers to bail them out again. I love how the politicians are now lining up to feign outrage over the companies that likely bribed them the most during their campaigns. Now you'd think Texans might wake up after this and realize Sean Hannity might be lying to them? ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/24/texas-energy-bills-scandal-snow-storm

Oh, and yah, video cards are still out of stock. The dude on youtube that 3 months ago predicted we wouldn't get stock until fall 2021 seems to be dead on the money.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
You really think we'll be able to get them so soon? :p

That's no joke...it really could be March 2022. Surely though when the mining tanks again it should cause a flood of cards on the market. I won't be selling my cards, but lots will I imagine. There is only so many people with desktop PC's.

I'm still a bit perplexed by the demand. I don't know a single other adult, family or friend, that has a desktop PC, or even knows what a GPU is. They all have their faces stuck in their phones. Ditto for both my sons. My 19 year old is the only one of all his 4 or 5 close buddies that has a desktop. They all have consoles. I keep hearing how everyone is rushing out and buying PC's, but I sure don't see any evidence of that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm still a bit perplexed by the demand. I don't know a single other adult, family or friend, that has a desktop PC, or even knows what a GPU is. They all have their faces stuck in their phones. Ditto for both my sons. My 19 year old is the only one of all his 4 or 5 close buddies that has a desktop. They all have consoles. I keep hearing how everyone is rushing out and buying PC's, but I sure don't see any evidence of that.
Well, apparently, (so we've been told), due to the Pandemic of 2020 and 2021 (thus far), a huge percentage of the population, has "suddenly" discovered PC gaming, shut in and whatnot. At least, that's the story.... maybe gov'ts the world over are the real purchasers of these GPUs, to crack crypto, etc. Who knows?